Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: retroarch help needed  (Read 2247 times)

tony.silveira

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
retroarch help needed
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:27:19 am »
this one has given me a tremendous headache.

i have three ultimarc u360 sticks,  they are set up as sticks 1-3 and they are working in all other emus.

in retro, i can assign stick one to directions, no problem.

but stick two just won’t register when i push a direction to assign it.  i KNOW the stick is working.  if i have joy2key running, in retroarch, the second stick directions register as the keys that are assigned in j2k.  but if i kill j2k, the stick is no longer seen by RA (stick one is still seen)

i’m going nuts on this one, please help!

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
Re: retroarch help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 01:49:09 pm »
I had a similar problem, emulators dont care about the joistick id, they just acept whatever input you give them, some softwares as retroarch or xpadder do care, so if you trying to input joystick 2 buttons but are pressing what retroarch think its another joystick, thats the reason it wont take it. So heres a test you can do, while you want to add the inputs, if the control wont register, just push some of the other controls buttons and see if they showed up. if they do, try finding the correct way to conect your joysticks or controls in the correct order into the usb ports, i often find that the correct order is from bottom to  top if you have a 4 usb port on your computer, if you only have 2 ports, you might need to find the way to acomodate 1-3 so windows can assign 1-3 ids. hope i made sence, english is my second lenguage.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 07:05:44 pm »
one of the absolute worst aspects of RetroArch is the way it hacks its own inputs over those of the emulator.

the way it does it for MAME is beyond gross, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if what you're asking is impossible, RA is a complete trainwreck that survives more on hype and marketing than it does on any level of competency.

there's a reason almost nobody is replying, anybody who knows their stuff avoids it, just the uneducated masses who really don't care about the games beyond surface level use it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 10:35:50 am by Haze »

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 09:44:46 pm »
This man speaks 100% truth.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 05:40:47 pm »
one of the absolute worst aspects of RetroArch is the way it hacks its own inputs over those of the emulator.

the way it does it for MAME is beyond gross, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if what you're asking is impossible, RA is a complete trainwreck that survives more on hype and marketing than it does on any level of competency.

there's a reason almost nobody is replying, anybody who knows their stuff avoids it, just the uneducated masses who really don't care about the games beyond surface level use it.

I use RA for pretty much this exact reason and it's because so many emulators have limited control mapping options. I want to map Save State to F2, but I can't because it's permanently bound to Alt-F5, etc. Obviously, I could use some some sort of keymapping software and keep profiles loaded up for each emulator, but why do that when it's so much easier through RA?

The thing that really bothers me about RA is the default bindings of every little function. It took me forever to discover that you can unmap all that junk by pressing the Y or square button on your controller. It still takes time, as you have to do each function in the menu individually.

The whole controller mapping thing in RA is just nonsensical, but I usually find a way to make it work, at least for one or two types of controller. You have to setup each controller and then select them as the different player inputs. It should be so easy and logical and it's just not.

Another issue is that MAME is bonkers through RA. That's why most people seem to use Final Burn through RA and run MAME standalone.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:42:26 pm by KenToad »

tony.silveira

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 10:50:05 am »
there are a few emus that i use in RA, that’s it.

but fyi in case someone else stumbles on this, deleting the retroarch.cfg file and restarting did the trick
thanks