Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic:  Differences between hbmame and groovymame when outputting 640x480i ?  (Read 3070 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
So im building a cocktail cab with splitscreen for horizontal games , i know vertical games with groovy mame run at theyr original resolution and look awsome, but neogeo rotated and cocktail split, only run best at 640x480i on groovymame, but the flickering its very noticible, like alot. Using super resolutions, helped a bit and that together with a few tweks, looks nice. So i downloaded hbmame to add a few neogeo game hacks at my setup, i knew it was going to run at 640x480i wich is ok for me, so when i first fired it up, to my surprise, the games look awsome, almost no flickering, all graphics look nice, and im talking about rotated cocktail split screen too. So i was wondering whats diference betwen not using switchres? And now that i mentioned that, ima go turn off switchres just for neogeo games on groovymame and see how they look. Shoot, i think i just answered my own question again. Ayway if someone knows another trick to make them look nice , please let me know.

So after playing with the settings, there are 2 main diferences. If i remove switchres from groovymame, the game looks exactly the same, flickers alot, and the screen kind of like shakes/rezises itsefl with white flashes. Like everytime the screen flashes a white color, you can see the credit counter getting out of bounds as the graphics  move alot. With habmame and the same settings, the screen stays in place, and almost no noticible fliker.
I know groovymame its not supposed to be used like these. But i just wondering  why cant groovymame achieve the same as hbmame.  On my cocktail games as pacman, it works awsome. no problems there.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:00:56 pm by abispac »

abispac

• Offline Offline
today i tried regular mame with neogeogames at 640x480 and can confirm that the flicker aint that bad, and graphics stay in place, so i guess ill just use regular mamame for neogeo cocktail fliped screen games, groovymame for the vertical games, and hbmame for hbmame games. no big deal.

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
you probably need to give us log files for the games from both GM and HBmame so we can compare and see what's happening

abispac

• Offline Offline
you probably need to give us log files for the games from both GM and HBmame so we can compare and see what's happening
Sure not a problem, any tip on how to get those? Thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:54:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
From Calamity's signature:
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead or pasting it.
Same command structure should work with the HBmame executable, too.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 05:13:50 pm by PL1 »

abispac

• Offline Offline
From Calamity's signature:
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead or pasting it.
Same command structure should work with the HBmame executable, too.

Scott
thanks, ill post them today.

abispac

• Offline Offline
so here they are, the only diference i see betwen them is hbmame and regular mame are using direct3d 9 while groovymame uses direct3d 9Ex. Now there is a huge diference on the filkering , hbmame and regular mame look ok, while groovymame flickers alot, i wonder if is posible to force direct3d9 instead of direct3d 9Ex with an ini. Maybe even create a good resolution for this kind of games? rotated, cocktail split screen, that way we can scrap using 640x480. Thanks for helping.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:18:11 pm by abispac »

abispac

• Offline Offline
so im gooing to reply myslef so i dont confuse you guys with the results i got now.
On my neogeo.ini i had switchres turned off as it made the game look bad, but it ocurred to me, to install super resolutions back again, then turned switchres back on, now switchres picks up a nice resolution , so if i turn off keepaspect, the game looks actually nice. Here are my new logs and ini.