Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Opti Wiz 3 cannot get any axis to work  (Read 1760 times)

meestermole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 01:04:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Opti Wiz 3 cannot get any axis to work
« on: April 16, 2021, 04:29:03 pm »
Hello there!
I recently purchased an Opti Wiz for a project, and I have been struggling to get any of the axis register.
I have tried this on 3 separate OSes - Arch Linux, MacOs, and Windows 10
The Optiwiz IS detected, and I can get the buttons to respond, but i cannot get any known optical encoders from my known working arcade controls to work.
Here is what I have tried:

I tested and checked polarity of the 5V that I am getting from the pins 1+2, and 11+12
I am wired up using an original 4 pin molex connector to the header of the encoder on the device end, and .100 connectors from a zero delay encoder on the Optiwiz end. I am getting 5v on the device side.
I have checked continuity of the other connections, and all checks out fine.
I've tried X, Y & Z axis - (J2 - 10+9, 8+7, and 4+3)

I have tried 2 different Atari Trackballs, a Wico Trackball, and an Taito Arkanoid spinner.

Nothing seems to register movement of the mouse. Whether it be a desktop environment or in MAME.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Allen

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Opti Wiz 3 cannot get any axis to work
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 09:15:18 am »
IIRC, both of your trackballs are "oddballs" in the arcade controls world, in that they output positive pulses and expect the controller to pull the signal low when they aren't (i.e. Active-High), whereas others, are active-low devices and work the other way around.  Not sure what is going on with the spinner, unless it is also doing this.

Check the output of the devices with a meter or scope to see what they are doing. As a side note, I've seen many "known working" controls end up being not so "known" when that status is relayed by a third party.  Best to apply power and check the outputs.

You may need to wire in an inverter chip for the signals, to make them compatible with "normal" controls.  A couple of well placed resistors of the appropriate values may do the trick as well.   

meestermole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 10:52:50 am »
Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried an inverter - an HD74LS04P - i used pins 11+12 from the optowiz to power the chip (chip legs 7+14),  pins 1+2 from optowiz to power the trackball encoder.

I routed each of the data lines from the trackball to 2 separate inputs on the chip - pin 1, and pin 5. - the outputs of pin 2 and 6 to the connector of the Optowiz on 9+10. I still get no results.

FWIW, when i connect an LED with a leg to ground, and a leg to one of the data lines, it lights and oscillates when i spin the trackball.

I'm not sure what to do.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 12:00:33 pm »
We need to get some good voltage levels from a meter or a scope to find what is going on.  The buttons work and the board was fully tested prior to shipping, so this is almost certainly a matter of unusual signal condition from those "oddball" controls. 

I see that you have sent an email.  I will respond to you using that channel.

meestermole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:40:57 pm »
Randy,
I got your e-mail, thanks. I do appreciate your support!
Indeed, the trackballs that I have used for testing seem to be the oddball variety that you mentioned. That would be my dumb luck.
In the meantime, I decided to try the OptoWiz on a different control. I have a Super Off Road cabinet with 3 wheels. I noticed that on the Opto boards themselves, there is an inverter chip in circuit (a 5414 if i recall)
Anyhow, i made a little harness with my molex crimpers and gave it a go, and it worked! The wheels registered input in my Linux terminal, and moved the mouse across the screen.
Now, If I can find an analog interface for the pots in the pedals, i'll have a pretty slick multi-driver cab!
Thanks again for your time and patience. I know you are very busy.

Allen

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 02:21:43 pm »
Now, If I can find an analog interface for the pots in the pedals, i'll have a pretty slick multi-driver cab!
Commonly used analog encoders include A-Pac and U-HID from Ultimarc or you can "roll your own" with an Arduino 32u4 board like the Pro Micro running a firmware like KADE miniArcade 2.0 here.

Scott