Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DKAFE - Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend (Windows and Raspberry Pi4)  (Read 18156 times)

10yard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:23:54 am
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
Hi,  I haven't been here for a while.  I took a long break from the hobby to sort out my life and health issues.  I now find myself in a much better place and am getting excited about arcade gaming again. I wasn't able to reset my forum password from my original login (degenatrons) but maybe it's good to start over.

To give myself a project and some focus during lockdown,  I decided to build a Donkey Kong arcade machine.  The machine was made 2/3 scale and adapted to a bartop form factor from the plans at https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/donkey-kong.html

I wondered for some time about making my own frontend to compliment the arcade machine - I'm a software developer.  I did not like the feel of the 60-in-1 and I was only really interested in running DK on the machine.  The frontend would be based on Donkey Kong gameplay.  You would control Jumpman on the girders stage navigating the platforms to pick an arcade game to launch by simply walking up to it.  This led me to think about the frontend becoming more like a game itself, having the frontend set challenges and awarding coins when you play well.  I researched into Donkey Kong Hacking and the LUA scripting language for MAME.  I was inspired to create DKAFE (The Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend). 

https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

A very short video review - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_RtjCKfJuoo

DKAFE can be configured to work with any roms as a general arcade frontend BUT the default setup is geared towards Donkey Kong.

The frontend comes bundled with DKWolf emulator.  It's my own custom lightweight build of WolfMAME (for Windows and Raspberry Pi4) which supports only the Donkey Kong drivers. LUA scripts integrate with DKWolf to add functionality to all the Donkey Kong roms including visibility of your progress towards objectives during gameplay and a HUD.

The default set up simply requires that you place dkong.zip (and optionally dkongjr.zip) into DKAFE's roms folder. The frontend will automatically generate around 40 additional Donkey Kong roms using the built-in rom patcher.

DKAFE showcases all the excellent rom hacks that have been developed by the Donkey Kong community along with some new ones that were made by me specifically for this frontend.
See the full list of Donkey Kong hacks with credit given to the original authors at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#automatically-generated-roms

Some hacks I made specifically for DKAFE are as follows.

Vector Kong: A hack of the original arcade game which suppresses the normal video output completely and renders high resolution vectors to the screen instead of pixels.  See my project thread.

GalaKong: A Galaga themed Donkey Kong shoot 'em up.  Jumpman is assisted by an accompanying ship which can take out barrels, fireballs, firefoxes, pies and springs.  Bonus points are awarded for destroying multiple targets.

DK Lava Panic: Jumpman must keep his cool and move quickly up platforms to avoid rising Lava. Try not to panic!

Konkey Dong: A mixed up version of Donkey Kong.  The barrels stage plays backwards and the level order is changed.  The rom hack was requested by PBJ of this forum.

The frontend has a credit system and you begin with 500 coins.  You must collect coins which are thrown by Donkey Kong. You'll be charged 100 coins to launch a game.

By default,  The DKAFE frontend will run in unlock mode so you must earn more coins to unlock arcade machines.  If you're not up for the challenge then it is possible to adjust things and have all machines unlocked and set to free play. Pauline will love it when you beat all the machines though.

The DKAFE reward system will payout coins when you beat target scores for 3rd, 2nd and 1st prize.  Coins will drop from the top of the screen when returning to the frontend.  Jumpman must collect coins before they fall from the bottom of the screen.

I developed DKAFE from scratch in Python and it can run on multiple platforms.  I made Binary releases for Windows and an SD card image for Raspberry Pi4. 

The latest DKAFE releases can be found at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#get-dkafe-for-your-system

Please refer to my git hub page for install and set up information - https://github.com/10yard/dkafe

DKAFE is open source so you can contribute with development or ideas if you like.  I would greatly appreciate help with testing and feedback.

Jon
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 11:33:12 am by 10yard »
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:08:43 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: DKAFE - Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend (for Windows and Raspberry Pi4)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:09:50 pm »
Welcome back, Jon.   ;D

Glad to hear you're doing well and cool new project to announce your return.   :cheers:

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 02:42:58 pm »
Wow, this is amazingly cool! Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm playing the 64 bit version on Windows 10 and I tried remapping button 5 to button 3 for CONTROL_COIN = 3 and the changes aren't working. Pushing button 5 still works to drop a coin in-game, though.

Just want to reiterate that the work you've done here is incredible and I think it will help to bring attention to all these great romhacks.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 02:50:58 pm »
Welcome back, Jon.   ;D

Glad to hear you're doing well and cool new project to announce your return.   :cheers:

Scott

Thanks very much for the welcome Scott.  It's been a while!   I hope you are well my friend.
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 02:55:17 pm »

I'm playing the 64 bit version on Windows 10 and I tried remapping button 5 to button 3 for CONTROL_COIN = 3 and the changes aren't working. Pushing button 5 still works to drop a coin in-game, though.

Just want to reiterate that the work you've done here is incredible and I think it will help to bring attention to all these great romhacks.

Hey,  thanks for getting it install already!  I love the DK romhacks and it was really my intention to showcase them.

The coin function in the frontend simply displays information above the arcade machine icons.  It doesn't do a lot.  Does nothing at all happen when you press 3 on the keyboard?
and can you confirm your settings line reads like this with no extra spaces:
CONTROL_COIN = 3

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:57:13 pm by 10yard »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 03:07:59 pm »

Hey,  thanks for getting it install already!  I love the DK romhacks and it was really my intention to showcase them.

The coin function in the frontend simply displays information above the arcade machine icons.  It doesn't do a lot.  Does nothing at all happen when you press 3 on the keyboard?
CONTROL_COIN = 3

To clarify, I can toggle the gamenames on the frontend screen with button 3, but not insert coins while in game. I still have to press button 5 in the games (only tested DK remix so far).

# Front End Settings
FULLSCREEN = 1
FREE_PLAY = 1
UNLOCK_MODE = 0
INACTIVE_TIME = 15
ENABLE_MENU = 1
CONFIRM_EXIT = 1
ENABLE_SHUTDOWN = 0

# Emulator Settings
ROM_DIR = <ROOT>/roms
ALLOW_ROM_OVERWRITE = 0

# Emulator Settings for Windows
OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -video gdi -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)"
EMU_1 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolf <OPTIONS>
EMU_2 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolf <OPTIONS> -record <NAME>_<DATETIME>.inp

## Emulator Settings for Raspberry Pi4
#OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)"
#EMU_1 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolfrpi <OPTIONS>
#EMU_2 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolfrpi <OPTIONS> -record <NAME>_<DATETIME>.inp

# Interface Settings
CREDITS = 0
AUTOSTART = 1
ALLOW_SKIP_INTRO = 1
SHOW_AWARD_PROGRESS = 1
SHOW_AWARD_TARGETS = 1
SHOW_HUD = 1

# Controls
CONTROL_LEFT = left
CONTROL_RIGHT = right
CONTROL_UP = up
CONTROL_DOWN = down
CONTROL_JUMP = left ctrl
CONTROL_ACTION = left alt
CONTROL_P1 = 1
CONTROL_P2 = 2
CONTROL_COIN = 3
CONTROL_EXIT = escape

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 03:23:42 pm »
This is very cool. What you wanted didn't exist - so you made it. Love that. Great work.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 03:52:32 pm »

CONTROL_COIN = 3

To clarify, I can toggle the gamenames on the frontend screen with button 3, but not insert coins while in game. I still have to press button 5 in the games (only tested DK remix so far).

# Front End Settings
FULLSCREEN = 1
FREE_PLAY = 1
UNLOCK_MODE = 0
INACTIVE_TIME = 15
ENABLE_MENU = 1
CONFIRM_EXIT = 1
ENABLE_SHUTDOWN = 0

# Emulator Settings
ROM_DIR = <ROOT>/roms
ALLOW_ROM_OVERWRITE = 0

# Emulator Settings for Windows
OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -video gdi -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)"
EMU_1 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolf <OPTIONS>
EMU_2 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolf <OPTIONS> -record <NAME>_<DATETIME>.inp

## Emulator Settings for Raspberry Pi4
#OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)"
#EMU_1 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolfrpi <OPTIONS>
#EMU_2 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolfrpi <OPTIONS> -record <NAME>_<DATETIME>.inp

# Interface Settings
CREDITS = 0
AUTOSTART = 1
ALLOW_SKIP_INTRO = 1
SHOW_AWARD_PROGRESS = 1
SHOW_AWARD_TARGETS = 1
SHOW_HUD = 1

# Controls
CONTROL_LEFT = left
CONTROL_RIGHT = right
CONTROL_UP = up
CONTROL_DOWN = down
CONTROL_JUMP = left ctrl
CONTROL_ACTION = left alt
CONTROL_P1 = 1
CONTROL_P2 = 2
CONTROL_COIN = 3
CONTROL_EXIT = escape

The controls are only applicable to the frontend,  they don't carry through to DKWolf.  I will look at getting DKWolf to pick up the DKAFE controls by default.  That would be a useful feature.  For now you have to change controls in the emulator also.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:54:18 pm by 10yard »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 04:20:53 pm »
Okay, I tried mapping in-game controls using the TAB menu and mapping by opening the Mame executable, dkwolf.exe, and saving the configuration. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to save my coin input as button 3 after I exit and restart the emulator.

*Edit* In the readme, it states that the config files cannot be saved. Does this apply to remapping the controls, as well?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:23:51 pm by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 04:49:24 pm »
Okay, I tried mapping in-game controls using the TAB menu and mapping by opening the Mame executable, dkwolf.exe, and saving the configuration. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to save my coin input as button 3 after I exit and restart the emulator.

*Edit* In the readme, it states that the config files cannot be saved. Does this apply to remapping the controls, as well?

ahh,  yes,  I had removed save of config files when I was trimming the functionality of WolfMAME.  I had overlooked the controls aspect.  I will put the config save feature back in and push out a release soon.  Thank you for your help with testing!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 10:34:09 pm »
This is really impressive.  Nice work.   :applaud:

Looking forward to the videos.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 11:20:06 pm »
That is the cutest Donkey Kong cabinet IN THE UNIVERSE  :lol  Seriously, made my day with this build.  Excellent.

javeryh

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:18:31 am
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 11:47:07 am »
This is amazing.  Not just the software but the cabinet you built as well.  Fantastic work - would love to see more pics.

So what are the best DK hacks out there?  I’ve got DK2 on my cabinet but that’s it.  I like new levels/challenges over sprite swaps.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 01:24:49 pm »
Lava panic by the author of this frontend was fun, forcing you to find your quickest way through the levels, rather than milking for points.

DK remix is probably one of the most popular hacks. It's good. I find it a bit too technical in its challenge, but it should be enjoyable for those who have mastered the original game.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 01:38:31 pm by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 03:16:09 pm »
This is amazing.  Not just the software but the cabinet you built as well.  Fantastic work - would love to see more pics.

So what are the best DK hacks out there?  I’ve got DK2 on my cabinet but that’s it.  I like new levels/challenges over sprite swaps.

A few more pics.  All a bit samey unfortunately.

The best hacks for challenges IMO are DK 2, DK Foundry, and the DK Remix Editions (Xmas and Spooky).  The DK Into the Dark and DK Twisted Jungle are fun challenges too.  Also take a look at the "Wild Barrel" hack,  it's crazy hard.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 03:23:09 pm »
Lava panic by the author of this frontend was fun, forcing you to find your quickest way through the levels, rather than milking for points.

Thanks!  The lava rises quicker as you progress through the levels.  I'm not sure how far you will get before it becomes too difficult to complete the various stages.  I had to slow it down on rivets because you typically hang around longer on the lower platforms.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 07:00:34 am »
This is something as fresh as unexpected. Keep this up!

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 08:07:31 am »
Outstanding!   :applaud:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 12:24:11 pm »
So, having tested out a few of these games, I really think that the high score targets tend to be too high for the average, casual player (like me). DK is already difficult, but getting no reward for less than 15k just seems like a pointless endeavor for anybody who's not serious about learning how to play this game. At the very least, I would drop the bottom tier to 10k. Even better would be to scale and rank the rewards so that even something as simple as clearing a board rewards the player when they get back to the hub. If this game was developed in the modern environment, you'd have achievements unlocked for every little thing: jumping two barrels at once or hopping between two closely-spaced barrels, for instance. I know that you get points and extra lives for some of these things, but I'd like to see more effort put into expanding the reward system and making it more accessible. I would guess that anybody who cares to meet these goals already is meeting these goals, as they have more than your average interest in DK and enjoy the brutal challenge. And they don't need the extra game layer of the DKAFE front end.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 01:58:43 pm »
Oh great...

Yet another amazing thing I wan't one of myself!

Nicely done.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 03:20:47 pm »
So, having tested out a few of these games, I really think that the high score targets tend to be too high for the average, casual player (like me). DK is already difficult, but getting no reward for less than 15k just seems like a pointless endeavor for anybody who's not serious about learning how to play this game. At the very least, I would drop the bottom tier to 10k. Even better would be to scale and rank the rewards so that even something as simple as clearing a board rewards the player when they get back to the hub. If this game was developed in the modern environment, you'd have achievements unlocked for every little thing: jumping two barrels at once or hopping between two closely-spaced barrels, for instance. I know that you get points and extra lives for some of these things, but I'd like to see more effort put into expanding the reward system and making it more accessible. I would guess that anybody who cares to meet these goals already is meeting these goals, as they have more than your average interest in DK and enjoy the brutal challenge. And they don't need the extra game layer of the DKAFE front end.
This is great feedback.  I really had to guess at score targets and yes maybe they are set a little high for the beginner.  The targets can easily be adjusted in the romlist.csv file so I will consider making the default minimum target (3rd prize) more attainable to the beginner. 

I'd like to reward other achievements too. Your reply gets me thinking I should be able to award one-off bonuses for completing certain objectives in the game
such as completing each of the core stages for the first time (barrels, rivets, elevators, pies) or reaching level 2, 3, 4, 5... for the first time.

The DKAFE interface will support more functionality like this.  I'll have to think about it.

Thanks!

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 06:06:58 pm »
This is great feedback.  I really had to guess at score targets and yes maybe they are set a little high for the beginner.  The targets can easily be adjusted in the romlist.csv file so I will consider making the default minimum target (3rd prize) more attainable to the beginner. 

I'd like to reward other achievements too. Your reply gets me thinking I should be able to award one-off bonuses for completing certain objectives in the game
such as completing each of the core stages for the first time (barrels, rivets, elevators, pies) or reaching level 2, 3, 4, 5... for the first time.

The DKAFE interface will support more functionality like this.  I'll have to think about it.

Thanks!

Sounds great!

While I'm at it, I would also suggest toning down the speed of the lava rising in the elevator level so that a player can take both elevators and not die.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:47:51 pm by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 07:01:52 am »
A new release of DKAFE (v0.11) is available at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe/releases

This resolves an issue with saving custom control mappings on Windows as reported above.
I adjusted the score targets to make them more attainable to novice players.  I'm considering upping the difficulty automatically if a player performs well.

Also as requested by KenToad, a slight slow down of the lava in DK Lava Panic! so player has time to take the lower route (until progressing to later levels).

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:40 am »
Fantastic!

As far as upgrading goes, just overwrite everything except settings or should we overwrite everything and manually reconfigure settings?

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 09:52:32 am »
Fantastic!

As far as upgrading goes, just overwrite everything except settings or should we overwrite everything and manually reconfigure settings?
Overwrite everyting except settings i.e.
Extract the folder contents and then overwrite the settings.txt with your existing one.  If you want to keep your progress then also copy your save.p file.

*Edit
Note that DKWolf will now create a cfg folder to store any custom input mappings
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:56:48 am by 10yard »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 10:28:14 am »
I upgraded and was able to save the new key binding in MAME, but none of the high score targets seem to have changed. *Edit* DK Remix seems to have increased from 15k to 25K for third prize, IIRC.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:30:25 am by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 10:38:54 am »
Please try again there was an issue with the build.  Please grab the release again.  All 3rd prizes should be 10,000 with a few exceptions.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 02:44:51 pm »
It works now! Thanks so much. I'll report any issues.

One thing I'm noticing that might be fun would be to allow coins to activate cheats. I don't think I'm interested in earning credits or unlocking games, but it might be enjoyable to be able to use the coins to buy super powers (it'd be really cool if he could grow into Super Mario, too, but I guess that's just dreaming.)

I really think the Wild Barrel is unfair and I barely score any points there. It's just too specific in its challenge. I think 1k is doable, but it's just no fun at all to stand on the lower level and get tracked and creamed constantly by barrels.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 12:20:32 pm »
A couple of quick videos to show my "DK Lava Panic!" and "DK Who and the Daleks" gameplay.  Games are launched from the DKAFE frontend.

DK Lava Panic
Jumpman must keep his cool and move quickly up platforms to avoid rising Lava. Try not to panic!

DK Who and the Daleks
Jumpman has regenerated as the next Dr Who. Help him rescue his assistant from the clutches of Donkey Kong. The Daleks have destroyed her rocket ship and you're her only hope for escape. Use the Tardis to teleport Jumpman through dimensions in spacetime.
At the end of the gameplay,  you will see Jumpman using the Tardis during attract mode.

During gameplay,  look at the top-right of screen for the targets and also see the game title at the top centre change when targets are reached.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:28:33 pm by 10yard »

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:47:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 04:16:15 pm »
Love me some MartyKong, I mean Donkey Kong;D. Killer job on that bartop. Really impressed.

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 06:43:44 am »
A flawless DK mini build and a front end that incorporates various DK hacks in one post?! What in the hell... the very definition of a quality poster! Splendid work, mate, splendid!

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2021, 12:12:25 am »
This is a good video if you're looking to score more points on Donkey Kong.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2021, 05:31:36 am »
This is a good video if you're looking to score more points on Donkey Kong.

Yes,  it's a good video.  I've seen previously but giving it another watch now whilst i'm working. Thanks.

I've been trying to improve my DK for a few years and have been playing fairly regularly.  I really struggle on level 4+ Springs when I know i'm going for a score.  All Springs stages after level 4 are the same so it should be something that can be mastered given enough practice.
I've watched this a bunch of times.

I'm confident on Barrels but I do make stupid mistakes often.
With Rivets stage,  I am trying to be more patient, waiting for the right moment to move when things get busy.

I included DK trainers in the DKAFE frontend to help me work on specific areas of play.  I can quickly call up a trainer and repeatedly work on my technique before going back to record another attempt.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 10:07:06 am »
I've made a bunch of updates to Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend since my origin post.  A fair amount of these tweaks were based on user feedback. 

DKAFE (v0.15) is available for Windows and Raspberry Pi at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe/releases

Updates are as follows:
  • Add settings menu which can be accessed via tab key and also from the bottom of the quick access game list.
      Allows you to adjust settings from the frontend and optionally write them to the settings.txt file to retain for next time.
      e.g. You can switch off the "unlock mode" and set to "free play".
  • After being awarded a prize for your performance:
      Pauline will announce the prize being awarded.
      Donkey Kong reaches out for a gold, silver or bronze trophy and lifts in the air.
      The countdown timer is reset to 8000
  • "Basic Mode" setting was added. 
      This mode will disable multiple DKAFE gameplay features.  For those that just want a basic launcher without the additional gameplay element.
  • Score targets were made easier to achieve.
  • Minor changes
      Centralise Jumpman on ladders when climbing/descending.
      Change penalty points on "DK Last Man Standing" game to 10,000.  You lose 10,000 points instead of a life.
      Add input debounce on emulator exit to prevent unintentional exit of frontend.
      Do not consider any score targets when recording .inp file.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 04:54:20 pm by 10yard »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
Re: DKAFE - Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2021, 01:02:36 pm »
Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend v0.19b is now available. 
You can grab this latest release from https://github.com/10yard/dkafe/releases

Added new Donkey Kong rom hacks by Paul Goes:
  • DK Barrelpalooza
  • DK 40th Anniversary Edition

Added new Donkey Kong rom hacks by me - these all start on level 1 and are great for training.
  • DK Barrels Only
  • DK Springs Only
  • DK Pies Only
  • DK Rivets Only

New launch options menu:
Game launch options can be accessed by pressing "P1 Start" when facing a machine.  You will see options to "Launch game" and "Launch game (with .inp recording)".  Previous recording can also be selected to view/playback. 
You don't need the game launch options.  You can push "Jump" when facing a machine to launch it directly.

New setting "ALLOW_COIN_TO_END_GAME":
You can now push COIN to trigger end of game during gameplay, sacrificing all remaining lives. This allows a score to be registered after reaching your target points.  Can be disabled in settings.

The default frontend has been updated to support 35 hacked roms - all generated from dkong.zip.

Lots of other tweaks, bug fixes and performance improvements.

To get this up and running,  you simply need to extract files from the release (linked above) and drop your "dkong.zip" rom (US Set 1) into the provided roms folder.  Run "Launch".  The frontend will automatically generate all the Donkey Kong rom hacks for you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:52:18 pm by 10yard »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2021, 02:53:16 pm »
Version 0.26 of the frontend is now available at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe/releases

I've added lots of new features and improvements since my last update here.  Highlights of additions are as follows.

DK Shooter: A Galaga themed shoot 'em up hack. Jumpman collects an item to activate the ship.  The ship then follows jumpman's movements and fires when he jumps.  The ship can be controlled independently when Jumpman is on a ladder.  There's a crazy amount of point leeching to be had with this game. Points are awarded for destroying barrels, fireballs, firefoxes, pies and springs.  Points multiply with multiple hits too.

DK Coach:  The coaching plugin can help you master the springs and barrels stages.  For springs,  the coach determines the "spring type" between 0 and 15 based on length and displays this information near to where the springs are released,  helping you make quick decisions on when to make a run and when to sit tight or retreat back to safety.  The coach displays safe zones (in green) and variable danger zones (in red).

DK Chorus: A plugin which replaces the samples of Donkey Kong with acapella sounds.

Konkey Dong: A mixed up version of Donkey Kong (as requested by PBJ of this forum).  The barrels stage is played backwards.  The stage order is changed.

DKWolf v0.236:  The lightweight emulator build was updated to MAME 0.236 (from 0.196) for Windows and Raspberry Pi.

Here's a short video showing DKAFE frontend, some of its features, and some of the Donkey Kong rom hacks that I made.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 03:00:40 pm by 10yard »

javeryh

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:18:31 am
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2021, 08:12:47 pm »
KONKEY DONG!

I really like this front end.  Very creative.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2021, 03:11:19 pm »
I tried DKAFE .26 and it plays really well. I played DK, Galaga DK, and Rivets. I did better than usual on Rivets, so I thought that I would press Right on the joystick to get a head start running for that coin reward. It's a little bit annoying to me that you have to physically collect the coin reward, but, whatever.

Unfortunately, pressing right (directional right on default controls) at the exact moment between the Rivets game shutting down and the frontend restarting caused the entire game to crash. The Frontend didn't start and I ended up back on the desktop. When I relaunched the frontend, all my saved progress was gone. Upon restart, I was able to replicate the crash by rapidly tapping right while exiting DK Jr. This is on Windows 10, btw. After testing it some more, I now get a "launch.exe is not responding" report even when exiting without touching anything on DK and DK jr. I haven't unlocked the other games again or done so in settings.

If I hadn't encountered this issue, I would have kept playing. This is an extremely well-done frontend with a lot of quality of life improvements for the games themselves built-in. Thanks again for making it and especially for making the rewards more attainable.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:25:29 pm by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2021, 04:52:33 pm »
KONKEY DONG!

I really like this front end.  Very creative.

It's a bit nuts to make a frontend for just 1 rom but it works for me.  It's a celebration of Donkey Kong.  Thank you!

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2021, 05:06:41 pm »
I tried DKAFE .26 and it plays really well. I played DK, Galaga DK, and Rivets. I did better than usual on Rivets, so I thought that I would press Right on the joystick to get a head start running for that coin reward. It's a little bit annoying to me that you have to physically collect the coin reward, but, whatever.

Unfortunately, pressing right (directional right on default controls) at the exact moment between the Rivets game shutting down and the frontend restarting caused the entire game to crash. The Frontend didn't start and I ended up back on the desktop. When I relaunched the frontend, all my saved progress was gone. Upon restart, I was able to replicate the crash by rapidly tapping right while exiting DK Jr. This is on Windows 10, btw. After testing it some more, I now get a "launch.exe is not responding" report even when exiting without touching anything on DK and DK jr. I haven't unlocked the other games again or done so in settings.

If I hadn't encountered this issue, I would have kept playing. This is an extremely well-done frontend with a lot of quality of life improvements for the games themselves built-in. Thanks again for making it and especially for making the rewards more attainable.

Thanks for taking a look at .26 and for your positive comments.  You already helped me to make better software and for that I am grateful.

I am able to replicate the issue you describe with exiting and shutting down.  I think I have introduced a bug in this latest version as a consequence of some video optimisations.  I will look at backing out this change immediately.

Could you test this temporary fix for me please to see if it resolves for you?

In your settings.txt,  add the argument "-video GDI" to the end of your OPTIONS e.g.

Code: [Select]
OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)" -nofilter -video GDI
Start DKAFE, launch a game and exit back to the frontend soon after launching it.