Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DKAFE - Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend (Windows and Raspberry Pi4)  (Read 18159 times)

10yard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:23:54 am
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
Hi,  I haven't been here for a while.  I took a long break from the hobby to sort out my life and health issues.  I now find myself in a much better place and am getting excited about arcade gaming again. I wasn't able to reset my forum password from my original login (degenatrons) but maybe it's good to start over.

To give myself a project and some focus during lockdown,  I decided to build a Donkey Kong arcade machine.  The machine was made 2/3 scale and adapted to a bartop form factor from the plans at https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/donkey-kong.html

I wondered for some time about making my own frontend to compliment the arcade machine - I'm a software developer.  I did not like the feel of the 60-in-1 and I was only really interested in running DK on the machine.  The frontend would be based on Donkey Kong gameplay.  You would control Jumpman on the girders stage navigating the platforms to pick an arcade game to launch by simply walking up to it.  This led me to think about the frontend becoming more like a game itself, having the frontend set challenges and awarding coins when you play well.  I researched into Donkey Kong Hacking and the LUA scripting language for MAME.  I was inspired to create DKAFE (The Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend). 

https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

A very short video review - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_RtjCKfJuoo

DKAFE can be configured to work with any roms as a general arcade frontend BUT the default setup is geared towards Donkey Kong.

The frontend comes bundled with DKWolf emulator.  It's my own custom lightweight build of WolfMAME (for Windows and Raspberry Pi4) which supports only the Donkey Kong drivers. LUA scripts integrate with DKWolf to add functionality to all the Donkey Kong roms including visibility of your progress towards objectives during gameplay and a HUD.

The default set up simply requires that you place dkong.zip (and optionally dkongjr.zip) into DKAFE's roms folder. The frontend will automatically generate around 40 additional Donkey Kong roms using the built-in rom patcher.

DKAFE showcases all the excellent rom hacks that have been developed by the Donkey Kong community along with some new ones that were made by me specifically for this frontend.
See the full list of Donkey Kong hacks with credit given to the original authors at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#automatically-generated-roms

Some hacks I made specifically for DKAFE are as follows.

Vector Kong: A hack of the original arcade game which suppresses the normal video output completely and renders high resolution vectors to the screen instead of pixels.  See my project thread.

GalaKong: A Galaga themed Donkey Kong shoot 'em up.  Jumpman is assisted by an accompanying ship which can take out barrels, fireballs, firefoxes, pies and springs.  Bonus points are awarded for destroying multiple targets.

DK Lava Panic: Jumpman must keep his cool and move quickly up platforms to avoid rising Lava. Try not to panic!

Konkey Dong: A mixed up version of Donkey Kong.  The barrels stage plays backwards and the level order is changed.  The rom hack was requested by PBJ of this forum.

The frontend has a credit system and you begin with 500 coins.  You must collect coins which are thrown by Donkey Kong. You'll be charged 100 coins to launch a game.

By default,  The DKAFE frontend will run in unlock mode so you must earn more coins to unlock arcade machines.  If you're not up for the challenge then it is possible to adjust things and have all machines unlocked and set to free play. Pauline will love it when you beat all the machines though.

The DKAFE reward system will payout coins when you beat target scores for 3rd, 2nd and 1st prize.  Coins will drop from the top of the screen when returning to the frontend.  Jumpman must collect coins before they fall from the bottom of the screen.

I developed DKAFE from scratch in Python and it can run on multiple platforms.  I made Binary releases for Windows and an SD card image for Raspberry Pi4. 

The latest DKAFE releases can be found at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#get-dkafe-for-your-system

Please refer to my git hub page for install and set up information - https://github.com/10yard/dkafe

DKAFE is open source so you can contribute with development or ideas if you like.  I would greatly appreciate help with testing and feedback.

Jon
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 11:33:12 am by 10yard »
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: DKAFE - Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend (for Windows and Raspberry Pi4)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:09:50 pm »
Welcome back, Jon.   ;D

Glad to hear you're doing well and cool new project to announce your return.   :cheers:

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 02:42:58 pm »
Wow, this is amazingly cool! Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm playing the 64 bit version on Windows 10 and I tried remapping button 5 to button 3 for CONTROL_COIN = 3 and the changes aren't working. Pushing button 5 still works to drop a coin in-game, though.

Just want to reiterate that the work you've done here is incredible and I think it will help to bring attention to all these great romhacks.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 02:50:58 pm »
Welcome back, Jon.   ;D

Glad to hear you're doing well and cool new project to announce your return.   :cheers:

Scott

Thanks very much for the welcome Scott.  It's been a while!   I hope you are well my friend.
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 02:55:17 pm »

I'm playing the 64 bit version on Windows 10 and I tried remapping button 5 to button 3 for CONTROL_COIN = 3 and the changes aren't working. Pushing button 5 still works to drop a coin in-game, though.

Just want to reiterate that the work you've done here is incredible and I think it will help to bring attention to all these great romhacks.

Hey,  thanks for getting it install already!  I love the DK romhacks and it was really my intention to showcase them.

The coin function in the frontend simply displays information above the arcade machine icons.  It doesn't do a lot.  Does nothing at all happen when you press 3 on the keyboard?
and can you confirm your settings line reads like this with no extra spaces:
CONTROL_COIN = 3

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:57:13 pm by 10yard »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 03:07:59 pm »

Hey,  thanks for getting it install already!  I love the DK romhacks and it was really my intention to showcase them.

The coin function in the frontend simply displays information above the arcade machine icons.  It doesn't do a lot.  Does nothing at all happen when you press 3 on the keyboard?
CONTROL_COIN = 3

To clarify, I can toggle the gamenames on the frontend screen with button 3, but not insert coins while in game. I still have to press button 5 in the games (only tested DK remix so far).

# Front End Settings
FULLSCREEN = 1
FREE_PLAY = 1
UNLOCK_MODE = 0
INACTIVE_TIME = 15
ENABLE_MENU = 1
CONFIRM_EXIT = 1
ENABLE_SHUTDOWN = 0

# Emulator Settings
ROM_DIR = <ROOT>/roms
ALLOW_ROM_OVERWRITE = 0

# Emulator Settings for Windows
OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -video gdi -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)"
EMU_1 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolf <OPTIONS>
EMU_2 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolf <OPTIONS> -record <NAME>_<DATETIME>.inp

## Emulator Settings for Raspberry Pi4
#OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)"
#EMU_1 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolfrpi <OPTIONS>
#EMU_2 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolfrpi <OPTIONS> -record <NAME>_<DATETIME>.inp

# Interface Settings
CREDITS = 0
AUTOSTART = 1
ALLOW_SKIP_INTRO = 1
SHOW_AWARD_PROGRESS = 1
SHOW_AWARD_TARGETS = 1
SHOW_HUD = 1

# Controls
CONTROL_LEFT = left
CONTROL_RIGHT = right
CONTROL_UP = up
CONTROL_DOWN = down
CONTROL_JUMP = left ctrl
CONTROL_ACTION = left alt
CONTROL_P1 = 1
CONTROL_P2 = 2
CONTROL_COIN = 3
CONTROL_EXIT = escape

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 03:23:42 pm »
This is very cool. What you wanted didn't exist - so you made it. Love that. Great work.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 03:52:32 pm »

CONTROL_COIN = 3

To clarify, I can toggle the gamenames on the frontend screen with button 3, but not insert coins while in game. I still have to press button 5 in the games (only tested DK remix so far).

# Front End Settings
FULLSCREEN = 1
FREE_PLAY = 1
UNLOCK_MODE = 0
INACTIVE_TIME = 15
ENABLE_MENU = 1
CONFIRM_EXIT = 1
ENABLE_SHUTDOWN = 0

# Emulator Settings
ROM_DIR = <ROOT>/roms
ALLOW_ROM_OVERWRITE = 0

# Emulator Settings for Windows
OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -video gdi -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)"
EMU_1 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolf <OPTIONS>
EMU_2 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolf <OPTIONS> -record <NAME>_<DATETIME>.inp

## Emulator Settings for Raspberry Pi4
#OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)"
#EMU_1 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolfrpi <OPTIONS>
#EMU_2 = <ROOT>/dkwolf/dkwolfrpi <OPTIONS> -record <NAME>_<DATETIME>.inp

# Interface Settings
CREDITS = 0
AUTOSTART = 1
ALLOW_SKIP_INTRO = 1
SHOW_AWARD_PROGRESS = 1
SHOW_AWARD_TARGETS = 1
SHOW_HUD = 1

# Controls
CONTROL_LEFT = left
CONTROL_RIGHT = right
CONTROL_UP = up
CONTROL_DOWN = down
CONTROL_JUMP = left ctrl
CONTROL_ACTION = left alt
CONTROL_P1 = 1
CONTROL_P2 = 2
CONTROL_COIN = 3
CONTROL_EXIT = escape

The controls are only applicable to the frontend,  they don't carry through to DKWolf.  I will look at getting DKWolf to pick up the DKAFE controls by default.  That would be a useful feature.  For now you have to change controls in the emulator also.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:54:18 pm by 10yard »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 04:20:53 pm »
Okay, I tried mapping in-game controls using the TAB menu and mapping by opening the Mame executable, dkwolf.exe, and saving the configuration. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to save my coin input as button 3 after I exit and restart the emulator.

*Edit* In the readme, it states that the config files cannot be saved. Does this apply to remapping the controls, as well?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:23:51 pm by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 04:49:24 pm »
Okay, I tried mapping in-game controls using the TAB menu and mapping by opening the Mame executable, dkwolf.exe, and saving the configuration. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to save my coin input as button 3 after I exit and restart the emulator.

*Edit* In the readme, it states that the config files cannot be saved. Does this apply to remapping the controls, as well?

ahh,  yes,  I had removed save of config files when I was trimming the functionality of WolfMAME.  I had overlooked the controls aspect.  I will put the config save feature back in and push out a release soon.  Thank you for your help with testing!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 10:34:09 pm »
This is really impressive.  Nice work.   :applaud:

Looking forward to the videos.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 11:20:06 pm »
That is the cutest Donkey Kong cabinet IN THE UNIVERSE  :lol  Seriously, made my day with this build.  Excellent.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 11:47:07 am »
This is amazing.  Not just the software but the cabinet you built as well.  Fantastic work - would love to see more pics.

So what are the best DK hacks out there?  I’ve got DK2 on my cabinet but that’s it.  I like new levels/challenges over sprite swaps.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 01:24:49 pm »
Lava panic by the author of this frontend was fun, forcing you to find your quickest way through the levels, rather than milking for points.

DK remix is probably one of the most popular hacks. It's good. I find it a bit too technical in its challenge, but it should be enjoyable for those who have mastered the original game.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 01:38:31 pm by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 03:16:09 pm »
This is amazing.  Not just the software but the cabinet you built as well.  Fantastic work - would love to see more pics.

So what are the best DK hacks out there?  I’ve got DK2 on my cabinet but that’s it.  I like new levels/challenges over sprite swaps.

A few more pics.  All a bit samey unfortunately.

The best hacks for challenges IMO are DK 2, DK Foundry, and the DK Remix Editions (Xmas and Spooky).  The DK Into the Dark and DK Twisted Jungle are fun challenges too.  Also take a look at the "Wild Barrel" hack,  it's crazy hard.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 03:23:09 pm »
Lava panic by the author of this frontend was fun, forcing you to find your quickest way through the levels, rather than milking for points.

Thanks!  The lava rises quicker as you progress through the levels.  I'm not sure how far you will get before it becomes too difficult to complete the various stages.  I had to slow it down on rivets because you typically hang around longer on the lower platforms.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 07:00:34 am »
This is something as fresh as unexpected. Keep this up!

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 08:07:31 am »
Outstanding!   :applaud:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 12:24:11 pm »
So, having tested out a few of these games, I really think that the high score targets tend to be too high for the average, casual player (like me). DK is already difficult, but getting no reward for less than 15k just seems like a pointless endeavor for anybody who's not serious about learning how to play this game. At the very least, I would drop the bottom tier to 10k. Even better would be to scale and rank the rewards so that even something as simple as clearing a board rewards the player when they get back to the hub. If this game was developed in the modern environment, you'd have achievements unlocked for every little thing: jumping two barrels at once or hopping between two closely-spaced barrels, for instance. I know that you get points and extra lives for some of these things, but I'd like to see more effort put into expanding the reward system and making it more accessible. I would guess that anybody who cares to meet these goals already is meeting these goals, as they have more than your average interest in DK and enjoy the brutal challenge. And they don't need the extra game layer of the DKAFE front end.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 01:58:43 pm »
Oh great...

Yet another amazing thing I wan't one of myself!

Nicely done.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 03:20:47 pm »
So, having tested out a few of these games, I really think that the high score targets tend to be too high for the average, casual player (like me). DK is already difficult, but getting no reward for less than 15k just seems like a pointless endeavor for anybody who's not serious about learning how to play this game. At the very least, I would drop the bottom tier to 10k. Even better would be to scale and rank the rewards so that even something as simple as clearing a board rewards the player when they get back to the hub. If this game was developed in the modern environment, you'd have achievements unlocked for every little thing: jumping two barrels at once or hopping between two closely-spaced barrels, for instance. I know that you get points and extra lives for some of these things, but I'd like to see more effort put into expanding the reward system and making it more accessible. I would guess that anybody who cares to meet these goals already is meeting these goals, as they have more than your average interest in DK and enjoy the brutal challenge. And they don't need the extra game layer of the DKAFE front end.
This is great feedback.  I really had to guess at score targets and yes maybe they are set a little high for the beginner.  The targets can easily be adjusted in the romlist.csv file so I will consider making the default minimum target (3rd prize) more attainable to the beginner. 

I'd like to reward other achievements too. Your reply gets me thinking I should be able to award one-off bonuses for completing certain objectives in the game
such as completing each of the core stages for the first time (barrels, rivets, elevators, pies) or reaching level 2, 3, 4, 5... for the first time.

The DKAFE interface will support more functionality like this.  I'll have to think about it.

Thanks!

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 06:06:58 pm »
This is great feedback.  I really had to guess at score targets and yes maybe they are set a little high for the beginner.  The targets can easily be adjusted in the romlist.csv file so I will consider making the default minimum target (3rd prize) more attainable to the beginner. 

I'd like to reward other achievements too. Your reply gets me thinking I should be able to award one-off bonuses for completing certain objectives in the game
such as completing each of the core stages for the first time (barrels, rivets, elevators, pies) or reaching level 2, 3, 4, 5... for the first time.

The DKAFE interface will support more functionality like this.  I'll have to think about it.

Thanks!

Sounds great!

While I'm at it, I would also suggest toning down the speed of the lava rising in the elevator level so that a player can take both elevators and not die.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:47:51 pm by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 07:01:52 am »
A new release of DKAFE (v0.11) is available at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe/releases

This resolves an issue with saving custom control mappings on Windows as reported above.
I adjusted the score targets to make them more attainable to novice players.  I'm considering upping the difficulty automatically if a player performs well.

Also as requested by KenToad, a slight slow down of the lava in DK Lava Panic! so player has time to take the lower route (until progressing to later levels).

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:40 am »
Fantastic!

As far as upgrading goes, just overwrite everything except settings or should we overwrite everything and manually reconfigure settings?

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 09:52:32 am »
Fantastic!

As far as upgrading goes, just overwrite everything except settings or should we overwrite everything and manually reconfigure settings?
Overwrite everyting except settings i.e.
Extract the folder contents and then overwrite the settings.txt with your existing one.  If you want to keep your progress then also copy your save.p file.

*Edit
Note that DKWolf will now create a cfg folder to store any custom input mappings
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:56:48 am by 10yard »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 10:28:14 am »
I upgraded and was able to save the new key binding in MAME, but none of the high score targets seem to have changed. *Edit* DK Remix seems to have increased from 15k to 25K for third prize, IIRC.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:30:25 am by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 10:38:54 am »
Please try again there was an issue with the build.  Please grab the release again.  All 3rd prizes should be 10,000 with a few exceptions.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 02:44:51 pm »
It works now! Thanks so much. I'll report any issues.

One thing I'm noticing that might be fun would be to allow coins to activate cheats. I don't think I'm interested in earning credits or unlocking games, but it might be enjoyable to be able to use the coins to buy super powers (it'd be really cool if he could grow into Super Mario, too, but I guess that's just dreaming.)

I really think the Wild Barrel is unfair and I barely score any points there. It's just too specific in its challenge. I think 1k is doable, but it's just no fun at all to stand on the lower level and get tracked and creamed constantly by barrels.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 12:20:32 pm »
A couple of quick videos to show my "DK Lava Panic!" and "DK Who and the Daleks" gameplay.  Games are launched from the DKAFE frontend.

DK Lava Panic
Jumpman must keep his cool and move quickly up platforms to avoid rising Lava. Try not to panic!

DK Who and the Daleks
Jumpman has regenerated as the next Dr Who. Help him rescue his assistant from the clutches of Donkey Kong. The Daleks have destroyed her rocket ship and you're her only hope for escape. Use the Tardis to teleport Jumpman through dimensions in spacetime.
At the end of the gameplay,  you will see Jumpman using the Tardis during attract mode.

During gameplay,  look at the top-right of screen for the targets and also see the game title at the top centre change when targets are reached.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:28:33 pm by 10yard »

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:47:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 04:16:15 pm »
Love me some MartyKong, I mean Donkey Kong;D. Killer job on that bartop. Really impressed.

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 06:43:44 am »
A flawless DK mini build and a front end that incorporates various DK hacks in one post?! What in the hell... the very definition of a quality poster! Splendid work, mate, splendid!

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2021, 12:12:25 am »
This is a good video if you're looking to score more points on Donkey Kong.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2021, 05:31:36 am »
This is a good video if you're looking to score more points on Donkey Kong.

Yes,  it's a good video.  I've seen previously but giving it another watch now whilst i'm working. Thanks.

I've been trying to improve my DK for a few years and have been playing fairly regularly.  I really struggle on level 4+ Springs when I know i'm going for a score.  All Springs stages after level 4 are the same so it should be something that can be mastered given enough practice.
I've watched this a bunch of times.

I'm confident on Barrels but I do make stupid mistakes often.
With Rivets stage,  I am trying to be more patient, waiting for the right moment to move when things get busy.

I included DK trainers in the DKAFE frontend to help me work on specific areas of play.  I can quickly call up a trainer and repeatedly work on my technique before going back to record another attempt.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 10:07:06 am »
I've made a bunch of updates to Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend since my origin post.  A fair amount of these tweaks were based on user feedback. 

DKAFE (v0.15) is available for Windows and Raspberry Pi at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe/releases

Updates are as follows:
  • Add settings menu which can be accessed via tab key and also from the bottom of the quick access game list.
      Allows you to adjust settings from the frontend and optionally write them to the settings.txt file to retain for next time.
      e.g. You can switch off the "unlock mode" and set to "free play".
  • After being awarded a prize for your performance:
      Pauline will announce the prize being awarded.
      Donkey Kong reaches out for a gold, silver or bronze trophy and lifts in the air.
      The countdown timer is reset to 8000
  • "Basic Mode" setting was added. 
      This mode will disable multiple DKAFE gameplay features.  For those that just want a basic launcher without the additional gameplay element.
  • Score targets were made easier to achieve.
  • Minor changes
      Centralise Jumpman on ladders when climbing/descending.
      Change penalty points on "DK Last Man Standing" game to 10,000.  You lose 10,000 points instead of a life.
      Add input debounce on emulator exit to prevent unintentional exit of frontend.
      Do not consider any score targets when recording .inp file.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 04:54:20 pm by 10yard »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
Re: DKAFE - Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2021, 01:02:36 pm »
Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend v0.19b is now available. 
You can grab this latest release from https://github.com/10yard/dkafe/releases

Added new Donkey Kong rom hacks by Paul Goes:
  • DK Barrelpalooza
  • DK 40th Anniversary Edition

Added new Donkey Kong rom hacks by me - these all start on level 1 and are great for training.
  • DK Barrels Only
  • DK Springs Only
  • DK Pies Only
  • DK Rivets Only

New launch options menu:
Game launch options can be accessed by pressing "P1 Start" when facing a machine.  You will see options to "Launch game" and "Launch game (with .inp recording)".  Previous recording can also be selected to view/playback. 
You don't need the game launch options.  You can push "Jump" when facing a machine to launch it directly.

New setting "ALLOW_COIN_TO_END_GAME":
You can now push COIN to trigger end of game during gameplay, sacrificing all remaining lives. This allows a score to be registered after reaching your target points.  Can be disabled in settings.

The default frontend has been updated to support 35 hacked roms - all generated from dkong.zip.

Lots of other tweaks, bug fixes and performance improvements.

To get this up and running,  you simply need to extract files from the release (linked above) and drop your "dkong.zip" rom (US Set 1) into the provided roms folder.  Run "Launch".  The frontend will automatically generate all the Donkey Kong rom hacks for you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:52:18 pm by 10yard »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2021, 02:53:16 pm »
Version 0.26 of the frontend is now available at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe/releases

I've added lots of new features and improvements since my last update here.  Highlights of additions are as follows.

DK Shooter: A Galaga themed shoot 'em up hack. Jumpman collects an item to activate the ship.  The ship then follows jumpman's movements and fires when he jumps.  The ship can be controlled independently when Jumpman is on a ladder.  There's a crazy amount of point leeching to be had with this game. Points are awarded for destroying barrels, fireballs, firefoxes, pies and springs.  Points multiply with multiple hits too.

DK Coach:  The coaching plugin can help you master the springs and barrels stages.  For springs,  the coach determines the "spring type" between 0 and 15 based on length and displays this information near to where the springs are released,  helping you make quick decisions on when to make a run and when to sit tight or retreat back to safety.  The coach displays safe zones (in green) and variable danger zones (in red).

DK Chorus: A plugin which replaces the samples of Donkey Kong with acapella sounds.

Konkey Dong: A mixed up version of Donkey Kong (as requested by PBJ of this forum).  The barrels stage is played backwards.  The stage order is changed.

DKWolf v0.236:  The lightweight emulator build was updated to MAME 0.236 (from 0.196) for Windows and Raspberry Pi.

Here's a short video showing DKAFE frontend, some of its features, and some of the Donkey Kong rom hacks that I made.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 03:00:40 pm by 10yard »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2021, 08:12:47 pm »
KONKEY DONG!

I really like this front end.  Very creative.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2021, 03:11:19 pm »
I tried DKAFE .26 and it plays really well. I played DK, Galaga DK, and Rivets. I did better than usual on Rivets, so I thought that I would press Right on the joystick to get a head start running for that coin reward. It's a little bit annoying to me that you have to physically collect the coin reward, but, whatever.

Unfortunately, pressing right (directional right on default controls) at the exact moment between the Rivets game shutting down and the frontend restarting caused the entire game to crash. The Frontend didn't start and I ended up back on the desktop. When I relaunched the frontend, all my saved progress was gone. Upon restart, I was able to replicate the crash by rapidly tapping right while exiting DK Jr. This is on Windows 10, btw. After testing it some more, I now get a "launch.exe is not responding" report even when exiting without touching anything on DK and DK jr. I haven't unlocked the other games again or done so in settings.

If I hadn't encountered this issue, I would have kept playing. This is an extremely well-done frontend with a lot of quality of life improvements for the games themselves built-in. Thanks again for making it and especially for making the rewards more attainable.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:25:29 pm by KenToad »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2021, 04:52:33 pm »
KONKEY DONG!

I really like this front end.  Very creative.

It's a bit nuts to make a frontend for just 1 rom but it works for me.  It's a celebration of Donkey Kong.  Thank you!

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2021, 05:06:41 pm »
I tried DKAFE .26 and it plays really well. I played DK, Galaga DK, and Rivets. I did better than usual on Rivets, so I thought that I would press Right on the joystick to get a head start running for that coin reward. It's a little bit annoying to me that you have to physically collect the coin reward, but, whatever.

Unfortunately, pressing right (directional right on default controls) at the exact moment between the Rivets game shutting down and the frontend restarting caused the entire game to crash. The Frontend didn't start and I ended up back on the desktop. When I relaunched the frontend, all my saved progress was gone. Upon restart, I was able to replicate the crash by rapidly tapping right while exiting DK Jr. This is on Windows 10, btw. After testing it some more, I now get a "launch.exe is not responding" report even when exiting without touching anything on DK and DK jr. I haven't unlocked the other games again or done so in settings.

If I hadn't encountered this issue, I would have kept playing. This is an extremely well-done frontend with a lot of quality of life improvements for the games themselves built-in. Thanks again for making it and especially for making the rewards more attainable.

Thanks for taking a look at .26 and for your positive comments.  You already helped me to make better software and for that I am grateful.

I am able to replicate the issue you describe with exiting and shutting down.  I think I have introduced a bug in this latest version as a consequence of some video optimisations.  I will look at backing out this change immediately.

Could you test this temporary fix for me please to see if it resolves for you?

In your settings.txt,  add the argument "-video GDI" to the end of your OPTIONS e.g.

Code: [Select]
OPTIONS = -rompath <ROM_DIR> -view "Pixel Aspect (7:8)" -nofilter -video GDI
Start DKAFE, launch a game and exit back to the frontend soon after launching it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2021, 06:42:41 pm »
I'll test it when I get home, but the persistent problem of the launcher not reloading seemed to go away when I looked at the old and new settings files and added -video opengl, although I haven't tried to break it with rapid inputs again yet.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2021, 07:02:51 pm »
I'll test it when I get home, but the persistent problem of the launcher not reloading seemed to go away when I looked at the old and new settings files and added -video opengl, although I haven't tried to break it with rapid inputs again yet.

Yes, explicitly setting the video mode should resolve the issue on Windows.  I'll make -video opengl the default.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 07:17:00 pm by 10yard »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2021, 08:38:23 pm »
Left Alt, the default action button, kills the frontend. It doesn't do anything when you're in a game, though.

Also, I am not able to rebind the coin button from 5 to 3 in the settings file.

With opengl enabled, I can't replicate the directional input crash when exiting out of a game.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2021, 05:30:12 am »
Left Alt, the default action button, kills the frontend. It doesn't do anything when you're in a game, though.

This was a stupid bug that I have now fixed and updated the release.  Thanks!

Also, I am not able to rebind the coin button from 5 to 3 in the settings file.
This setting should remap the button for you.
CONTROL_COIN = 3Note the bindings will apply to the frontend only.  You will also need to change and save your DKWolf/MAME controls config.

With opengl enabled, I can't replicate the directional input crash when exiting out of a game.

Fantastic!  Looks like we fixed it.  I can't replicate the issue either.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2021, 09:31:24 am »
I tried the coaching mode with DKjr. Nothing seemed to be different other than the coaching indicator at the top. What is the point of that mode?

Also, I would recommend including some instructions that pressing 1p start on a game in the frontend brings up the launch menu, while the jump button jumps into the default game.

I also would suggest adding a note that the controls in settings.txt won't affect the settings in the emulator, that you have to start a game and press the menu button (tab) like usual, if you want to remap gameplay buttons. I was confused by that, maybe for the second time.

Everyone should try this out, at the very least for DK chorus. All the music and sound effects are replaced by chorus samples, almost sounds like a barbershop quartet narrating your game, so great.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2021, 10:04:36 am »
This is quite cool.  Love the ROM hacks!   :cheers:

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2021, 04:53:25 pm »
I tried the coaching mode with DKjr. Nothing seemed to be different other than the coaching indicator at the top. What is the point of that mode?

The coaching and chorus modes are not applicable to DK Junior and were incorrectly set.  I have rectified this now.  Thank you!!

Also, I would recommend including some instructions that pressing 1p start on a game in the frontend brings up the launch menu, while the jump button jumps into the default game.

I agree with your observation.  Now,  when Jumpman faces a machine,  Pauline will announce "Push P1 START for options or push JUMP to play".  The screengrabs below show the announcement as Jumpman is approaching and then facing a machine.  This feature is also displayed on the controls page (when in attract mode) and in the readme docs.

I also would suggest adding a note that the controls in settings.txt won't affect the settings in the emulator, that you have to start a game and press the menu button (tab) like usual, if you want to remap gameplay buttons. I was confused by that, maybe for the second time.

Notes have now been added into the settings file and into the readme documentation as suggested.  Thank you.

Everyone should try this out, at the very least for DK chorus. All the music and sound effects are replaced by chorus samples, almost sounds like a barbershop quartet narrating your game, so great.

It was a lot of fun to work on that chorus version.  Glad you like it  :cheers:

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2022, 11:54:42 am »
Version 0.28 of DKAFE is now available for Windows OS.

It includes a big update to my Galaga themed shooter hack "GalaKong".  There is a single player and a CO-OP mode (were a second player controls the Galaga ship).  I made various tweaks and bug fixes after watching 2 legends play a 1.59M point game on twitch:

Installing my DKAFE frontend is the easiest was to play GalaKong and all the other rom hacks. 

Alternatively,  you can download my MAME plugin.  Instructions are at https://github.com/10yard/galakong

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:03:04 pm by 10yard »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
Re: DKAFE - Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend (Windows and Raspberry Pi4)
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2022, 09:49:58 am »
I have made an update to my Galakong hack to make it more beneficial to hit multiple targets with one missile.

1 hit = 200 points
2 hits = 500 points
3 hits = 800 points
4 hits = 1200 points

The 4 hit maximum is new.  When achieved, a love heart is displayed with a bonus sound.

Here's a really short video showing me hit 4 barrels.

I am thinking to make my own dedicated cab for Galakong.  It would require a DK control panel which is adapted to have 2nd player (for the CO-OP mode) with 2 way directional controls and a fire button.    I'll post about that project in a new thread.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:01:30 am by 10yard »

SpaceAce83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 09:18:56 pm
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2022, 12:43:21 am »
This is very cool. Thanks for making this available.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2022, 06:36:42 am »
This is very cool. Thanks for making this available.

:cheers:

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2022, 04:56:05 am »
I just had to say...

Holy crap I have been keeping this thread in my queue since March 10th waiting to have an evening to try and implement this remarkable piece of work!

I hate being so busy that I can't just sit down for some fun.

My head is still spinning from the vector stuff now too of course.

Where do you find the time?!
 :lol
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2022, 06:09:37 pm »
I just had to say...

Holy crap I have been keeping this thread in my queue since March 10th waiting to have an evening to try and implement this remarkable piece of work!

I hate being so busy that I can't just sit down for some fun.

My head is still spinning from the vector stuff now too of course.

Where do you find the time?!
 :lol

Thank man!
I hope you got chance to sit down and get everything working with DKAFE.  I did go a bit overboard with the configuration.

I do an hour of development here and there,  lunch breaks,  or late evenings.  Sometimes I will get "into the zone" and can find myself wasting away hours into the early mornings powered by single malt.  A lot of my ideas and solutions come to me when I'm not at a computer.  I like to get outside to run and think through problems with a clear head.

classicjoe72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 11:23:40 am
  • I want to build a Fix-It-Felix Jr.!
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2022, 08:26:22 am »
I am just now discovering this but wanted to say this is super cool and thank you for sharing!

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2022, 08:16:40 am »
I am just now discovering this but wanted to say this is super cool and thank you for sharing!

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2022, 08:35:52 am »
Version 0.32 of DKAFE frontend is now available at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#get-dkafe-for-your-system

I've added lots of new features and improvements since my last update here.  Highlights of additions are as follows.

New rom hacks were added:
- "Vector Kong" by me
- "Galakong Junior" by me
- "RNDMZR" by Paul Goes
- "DK Wizardry" by Paul Goes

Improvement to joystick controls:
- Add D-pad/Hat detection to joystick controls
- Fix bug with joystick axis logic
- Update default settings file to include optional joystick mapping

Windows XP support:
- Fix XP build and bring up to v0.31 (v0.32 will be available soon)
- Fix LUA compatibility on XP

Galakong improvements:
- Include end of level and end of game stats (like Galaga does)
- Add animated explosions
- Add Galaga death sound

Bug fixes and improvements:
- Rework the Raspberry Pi4 build script,  it now produces an SD card image.
- Updates to automatic ROM patching to include DK Junior
- Fix autostart bug
- Fix 7:8 pixel aspect typo in settings.txt file

Gingerbred Kong: 
- A large Gingerbread Kong sprite was added to the old Atari 2600 Graphics hack - replacing the regular arcade Donkey Kong.

Jon
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 08:38:25 am by 10yard »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2022, 07:08:18 pm »
Version 0.36 of my arcade frontend is now available at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#get-dkafe-for-your-system

Highlights as follows.

New Plugins:
- Extreme Galakong - It's a stupidly difficult GalaKong variant.  You only get wild barrels and must shoot your way to survival.  See video below.
- A level 5 start option was added to the game launch menu of selected games.
- A stage practice option (Barrels, Pies, Springs and Rivets) was added.

VectorKong improvements:
- Fireballs now turn blue when Jumpman has the hammer.  See pic below.
- The smash animation was simplified
- Top line is now coloured red

Crazy Kong support:
- Crazy Kong rom support was added (cclimber driver added).  You need to put ckongpt2.zip into your ROMS folder for it to appear in the frontend.

Emulation:
- The bundled DKWolf emulator was updated to WolfMAME v0.241
- Fixes to recording and playback when using a MAME emulator that is not default (dkwolf).
- Automatic plugin installation when using a MAME emulator that is not default (dkwolf).

Simplify the MAME/LUA/frontend interface:
- Score tracking now takes your best score from your session (you could play many games before exiting back to the frontend) and is no longer tied to the high score table. You don't even have to register your name in the high score table. Just exit game after achieving your target score if you want and coins will be awarded.
- The "Push coin to end game" logic is now redundant and has been removed. The player can simply exit game anytime after achieving their desired score.
- Remove custom high score table (player, scores) logic and RAM/ROM updating.
- Retain the original authors intended default high score tables entries.

Intro animation:
- The DKAFE intro animation was tidied up. There is better transition from intro into the frontend startup.

Pi 4/400:
- Raspberry Pi4/400 config optimisations.
- Pi4 now uses accelerated video mode.

Windows XP:
- XP build was brought up-to-date.  You can install DKAFE v0.36 to XP if you really want to.

Jon
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 06:12:14 am by 10yard »

DefJam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2024, 02:03:20 pm
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2023, 03:19:53 pm »
Hi, just stumbled on this front end and it just awesome!    I have a DK machine with a 60 in 1 board in it and that is going to get moved out for this!    Question for you, I am trying to get the X64 version running.    GOod news is the front end opens and runs great, but I cannot get a game to start.    I walk up to machine, push up..... it shows me a little description, I hit the jump button to start, but it just kicks me back to the main screen.     Any suggestions ? (I could be doing something ridiculously wrong).

Also, anyone have any good suggestions on how to get this hooked up to the arcade monitor in the PC ?    I have a pi 4 or I could use an old laptop or something...(If i can get it running).

This is an incredible piece of software!   

What are the chances you can add donkey kong game from the gameboy to this ?   I know it is not arcade based, but that game is fantastic, and very much in the spirit of the arcade games.  be interesting to have all the console ports as well, but that gameboy DK game is really fantastic.   

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2023, 02:48:08 pm »
Been meaning to try this out...  Glad to see it is still being worked on!

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2023, 04:48:22 am »
Hi, just stumbled on this front end and it just awesome!    I have a DK machine with a 60 in 1 board in it and that is going to get moved out for this!    Question for you, I am trying to get the X64 version running.    GOod news is the front end opens and runs great, but I cannot get a game to start.    I walk up to machine, push up..... it shows me a little description, I hit the jump button to start, but it just kicks me back to the main screen.     Any suggestions ? (I could be doing something ridiculously wrong).

Also, anyone have any good suggestions on how to get this hooked up to the arcade monitor in the PC ?    I have a pi 4 or I could use an old laptop or something...(If i can get it running).

This is an incredible piece of software!   

What are the chances you can add donkey kong game from the gameboy to this ?   I know it is not arcade based, but that game is fantastic, and very much in the spirit of the arcade games.  be interesting to have all the console ports as well, but that gameboy DK game is really fantastic.

Thanks man!  Glad that you like the frontend.

Did you place your dkong.zip into the dkafe/roms folder and generate all of the patched roms?  You should see confirmation of this when you started up the frontend. 
The bundled emulator supports only DK roms so if you've changed the romlist.csv to include other games then you would also need to define another emulator in the settings.txt

It's already possible to launch GB and other emulators.  There's a shell folder where you can define a launch script.  If you look in that folder you'll see already a file named "dkong_gb.bat".  You can update that .bat file to include the location of your gameboy emulator and location of your gameboy rom.  Then add a new line into the romlist.csv (or change an existing line).  You'll need to set the rom name to "dkong_gb" and the subfolder name to "shell".  Remove the emulator number and prizes.  See screenshot below.  I've changed DK Junior to DK on the GBA.   Give me a shout if you need more help.

Maybe I should add popular console versions to the default DKAFE setup.  Automatically set them up in the frontend when roms are detected.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:07:29 am by 10yard »

DefJam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2024, 02:03:20 pm
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2023, 11:00:56 pm »
Hi 10Yard,

I tried out your front-end on a different PC and it works just fine, so something about it doesn't like my gateway 7811 FX from I think 2009 that is still running strong... well, still running.   Its running Windows 10.... but for whatever reason, no go. 

How would you add all the consoles ?    If you added console versions would they show up on the mainscreen ?   (Also Wondering if I could use DKafe to launch some of the other 4 way classics, pacman, frogger, but not ruin the look of the front end...etc..    that DK game on the game boy is really fun, but just recalled it needs two buttons so I won't be able to use that one in the arcade cabinet) 

It really is great, I played the first 3 cabinets, love that there are goals that unlock coins.... and then when all the coins came tumbling down.... just awesome!

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2023, 07:08:44 am »
I tried out your front-end on a different PC and it works just fine, so something about it doesn't like my gateway 7811 FX from I think 2009 that is still running strong... well, still running.   Its running Windows 10.... but for whatever reason, no go. 

Good to know you have it working on a different PC!  Maybe try the 32bit version on that older PC for better compatibility.

How would you add all the consoles ?    If you added console versions would they show up on the mainscreen ?   (Also Wondering if I could use DKafe to launch some of the other 4 way classics, pacman, frogger, but not ruin the look of the front end...etc..    that DK game on the game boy is really fun, but just recalled it needs two buttons so I won't be able to use that one in the arcade cabinet) 
e!
For console versions,  maybe I should add a second screen that is accessed by climbing up the top ladder.  The screen would become active if console versions of the game were detected in the roms folder.  For 4-way arcade classics,  it's already fairly easy to swap out default DK games in the rom list if you wanted to.  If you take a look in the artwork/icon folder,  you'll see i've already created arcade cabinet sprites for Pacman, Ms.Pacman, Galaga, Rally-X and 10 Yard Fight. 

I already gave some thought to an alternative 60-in-1 frontend on my github project page, under the "What's Next?" heading.

It really is great, I played the first 3 cabinets, love that there are goals that unlock coins.... and then when all the coins came tumbling down.... just awesome!

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2023, 05:29:45 am »
Version 0.39 of my DKAFE frontend is now available at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#get-dkafe-for-your-system

Here's a very short video review by GenXGrownUp.

Improvements since my last post are as follows.

- My Allen Kong plugin was added. 
It's very screwed up version of Donkey Kong were you take control of Allen Staal. Allen will vent his joy and frustration via hundreds of included sound samples.  Samples were mostly taken from his Twitch stream.
WARNING: THIS GAME CONTAINS VERY STRONG LANGUAGE

You should also check out Allen's twitch stream at https://www.twitch.tv/muscleandfitness

-  My latest rom hacks were added:
2NUTKong - Relentless barrel boards without breaks so you must try to retain focus.  All delays have been removed from the game.
NoLuck-Kong -100% barrel steering and fixed points remove your reliance on luck when putting up a score.
OctoMonkey - An extremely short game.  You play 1/8 of a game with x8 points awarded.
Quarter-Kong - You play quarter of a regular game with x4 points awarded.
Half-Kong - You play half a regular game with twice the points awarded.

- Added "DK Heart Hunt" hack by Paul Goes.   

- Added "Kana Kong" rom hack by Kirai Shouen and 125scratch.

- Added descriptive text for each hack displayed in the frontend - text appears when Jumpman faces a machine.  Text can be toggled on/off.

- Raspberry Pi4 and XP releases were brought up to the latest 0.39 version.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:00:20 am by 10yard »

ncflagg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 05:20:30 pm
  • Oh, yeah. Idaho IS right next to Iowa.
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2023, 03:36:21 pm »
This is an excellent project. The pixel art is nice and I really appreciate the play-to-unlock system.

I've looked through the documentation but can't figure out how to rotate the frontend menu 90 degrees. I'm trying to add it to my Windows XP cabinet. Feel like I'm missing something obvious. The included dkwolf (mame) emulator rotates fine with the -ror command argument.

(sorry for the double-post in the software forum)

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2023, 05:33:38 pm »
This is an excellent project. The pixel art is nice and I really appreciate the play-to-unlock system.

I've looked through the documentation but can't figure out how to rotate the frontend menu 90 degrees. I'm trying to add it to my Windows XP cabinet. Feel like I'm missing something obvious. The included dkwolf (mame) emulator rotates fine with the -ror command argument.

(sorry for the double-post in the software forum)

It’s good to know you appreciate my project.  Thank you.
I’m away over New Year but will definitely add rotation to the frontend settings when I get home.

The next release v0.55 will include 3 stages.  The barrels and rivets stages are full of DK rom hacks.  The pies stage is mostly empty but I’ll be filling it out with console versions of DK.  There will be 122 configurable game slots in total!
It’s been a while since I posted an update on here so I will be sure to do that soon.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 05:56:14 pm by 10yard »

ncflagg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2024, 07:30:37 pm »
I see that rotating the frontend in Windows Vista+ is now available (thanks!), but rotating Windows XP is currently a no-go due to the Python issue you mentioned in Github. I wanted to see if I could get a couple of the rom hacks working manually and I am able to, but dkwolf only seems to work in GDI video mode and runs at about 75% speed. I tried an older (and more efficient version of MAME on my setup); DK Rainbow seems to work ok as do the other roms but features are missing (no lava in lava hack for example). I thought these were straight rom hacks but there appears to be some overlay component?

How do hacks like dklava and galakong work, in general?

If there is some overlay component involved, is there some way to call the game directly to an alternate emulator while skipping the frontend?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 07:33:53 pm by ncflagg »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2024, 03:53:15 am »
How do hacks like dklava and galakong work, in general?

Several hacks (including dklavapanic and galakong) require a MAME plugin.  That plugin can be found inside the dkafe\dkwolf\plugins folder.  The plugin contains LUA scripting which adds features that cannot be implemented by a traditional Z80 rom hack.  Most of my plugins are made compatible with MAME versions from 0.196 (when LUA was properly introduced).  The current DKWolf runs on my own build of WolfMAME version 0.241.
My plugin scripts query the ram after each frame update to ascertain information such as Jumpman's X, Y position.  I manipulate the ram to change behaviour during gameplay.  I made a routine to draw additional pixel graphics on top of a frame. 

If there is some overlay component involved, is there some way to call the game directly to an alternate emulator while skipping the frontend?

Yes,  you will need to have the associated plugin installed.

You can get the rom hacks working on regular MAME (or WolfMAME).
Copy the associated plugin from the dkafe\dkwolf\plugins folder into your emulators plugin folder.   Do not copy all of the plugin folders,  as some come bundled with MAME and are specific to the version.  Only copy the plugin(s) you need.

In MAME settings you can then enable or disable the plugin.

You can also launch from command line using the -plugin argument i.e.
mame dkong -plugin dklavapanic

For reference,  this video review of my DKCoach plugin (by GenXGrownup) includes steps on how to install.

If you want to install all of my current plugins then you should copy these plugin folders.

allenkong
dkchorus
dkcoach
dkend (coming in version 0.55)
dklavapanic
dklevel22 (coming in version 0.55)
dkstart5
dkwho
galakong
gingerbreadkong
konkeydong
vectorkong

XP performance can be improved by dropping your screen resolution.   I was able to drop my XP setup to 512 x 448px which is perfect for upscale of DK which uses 256 x 224 graphics.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 03:57:42 am by 10yard »

ncflagg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2024, 11:12:41 pm »
That was most helpful.
It may be another side effect of GDI mode, but Mame (dkwolf) was not defaulting to fullscreen and was running at 640x480. I was able to get dklavapanic working at full speed at a more appropriate resolution in WinXP like below.

run_dklavapanic.bat
qres.exe -x 256 -y 240
cd \DKAFE\dkwolf\
dkwolf.exe -video gdi -ror -nounevenstretch -rompath C:\dkafe\roms dkong -plugin dklavapanic
qres.exe -x 640 -y 480

EDIT: Some of the hacks still aren't very playable. allenkong and galakong (for example) stutter a bunch when the MP3s are played.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 12:37:19 am by ncflagg »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2024, 05:00:03 am »
That was most helpful.
It may be another side effect of GDI mode, but Mame (dkwolf) was not defaulting to fullscreen and was running at 640x480. I was able to get dklavapanic working at full speed at a more appropriate resolution in WinXP like below.

run_dklavapanic.bat
qres.exe -x 256 -y 240
cd \DKAFE\dkwolf\
dkwolf.exe -video gdi -ror -nounevenstretch -rompath C:\dkafe\roms dkong -plugin dklavapanic
qres.exe -x 640 -y 480

Great solution!

EDIT: Some of the hacks still aren't very playable. allenkong and galakong (for example) stutter a bunch when the MP3s are played.

For galakong,  i'll convert the .mp3 files to .wav on the XP release.
I'll probably drop XP support for allenkong.

ncflagg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2024, 10:54:35 am »

Instead of putting the extra work of converting to WAV (including the FE music) on you for the XP use-case, I'd be happy converting audio myself where needed. If it doesn't already, maybe just alter the behavior of the FE and MAME to first look for .MP3 and fall back to .WAV? That way, you don't have to increase the download size and I'll still have the option to fill up my mostly empty disk with giant WAVs to eke out some performance.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 10:59:03 am by ncflagg »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2024, 02:05:30 pm »

Instead of putting the extra work of converting to WAV (including the FE music) on you for the XP use-case, I'd be happy converting audio myself where needed. If it doesn't already, maybe just alter the behavior of the FE and MAME to first look for .MP3 and fall back to .WAV? That way, you don't have to increase the download size and I'll still have the option to fill up my mostly empty disk with giant WAVs to eke out some performance.
The frontend playlist already supports WAV, MP3 and OGG formats across all platforms.  You can go ahead and add WAV files to playlist and it should detect them.
Galakong already supports .WAV and WAV files are provided in the galakong/sounds folder.  My allenkong plugin generates sound externally from MAME and is tied to .mp3 format only at the moment.  It was originally WAV but the total files size was huge so I converted over to MP3. 

ncflagg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2024, 10:37:43 pm »
I did try earlier deleting the playlist mp3s and adding a random wav to that folder but it didn't play. It doesn't seems like that's really a concern now though with the other issues I've already mentioned.

I see now that galakong is currently using wav files so I think this PC just isn't up for it. I appreciate all of your help. I'm tempted to rebuild this PC (again) just for DKAFE.  ;D

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2024, 09:49:09 am »
I did try earlier deleting the playlist mp3s and adding a random wav to that folder but it didn't play. It doesn't seems like that's really a concern now though with the other issues I've already mentioned.
WAV detection was recently added so grabbing the latest DKAFE release v0.55 should sort for you.

I appreciate all of your help. I'm tempted to rebuild this PC (again) just for DKAFE.  ;D