Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiring I-Pac Ultimate I/O dilemma  (Read 1044 times)

ljsquare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2021, 10:01:22 am
Wiring I-Pac Ultimate I/O dilemma
« on: April 15, 2021, 05:14:15 am »
Hi guys,

Can I pick your brain for a minute?
I'm about to wire my I-Pac Ultimate I/O to my buttons, especially if my idea makes sense.
Let me explain myself a bit more.
I've six buttons play buttons and I want them to assign them to this layout:

Y X L
B A R

If I want to wire them to the I-Pac and keep the default MAME keys, the wiring would be this:

1SW4 1SW3 1SW5
1SW1 1SW2 1SW6

Does this makes any sense? Or should I wire them as:

1SW1 1SW2 1SW3
1SW4 1SW5 1SW6

And configure the I-PAC and switch the key pressed (1SW1=SHIFT instead of CTRL, 1SW2=SPACE instead of ALT, etc etc)? Or should I reconfigure MAME (Y = CTRL instead of SHIFT, X = ALT instead of SPACE)?

What would you do?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Wiring I-Pac Ultimate I/O dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 06:29:43 am »
What would you do?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to your question.   :dunno

It depends on the type of build you're doing and what games you want to play, especially those on your "can't live without" list.
- Protip:  If your proposed gamelist is "all of them" you will fail and there's nothing we can do to help you.

Before you do anything else, you need to fully and carefully work through the "What type of build meets my needs?" design process  in the FAQ with a detailed focus on step 2.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/FAQ#What_type_of_build_meets_my_needs.3F

This process will help you refine your focus and consider which options describe what you want to do with your build.
- When you can tell us that, we can give you specific and effective advice on how to achieve your goals.   :cheers:

Y X L
B A R

If I want to wire them to the I-Pac and keep the default MAME keys, the wiring would be this:

1SW4 1SW3 1SW5
1SW1 1SW2 1SW6
This layout is primarily for a console-centric build.

Generally speaking, console games are better played sitting on a couch rather than standing in front of an arcade-style cab.

1SW1 1SW2 1SW3
1SW4 1SW5 1SW6

And configure the I-PAC and switch the key pressed (1SW1=SHIFT instead of CTRL, 1SW2=SPACE instead of ALT, etc etc)? Or should I reconfigure MAME (Y = CTRL instead of SHIFT, X = ALT instead of SPACE)?
This layout is more MAME-centric.

MAME is very flexible when it comes to remapping controls so consider which other emulators (if any) that you want/need to run.
- Some emulators are far less flexible and may require specific keystrokes/combinations for certain functions.

Scott