Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 33” 1:1 alibaba screen short review  (Read 1943 times)

tony.silveira

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
33” 1:1 alibaba screen short review
« on: April 14, 2021, 11:16:31 am »
So I finally pulled the trigger and replaced my CRT with the 33” 1:1 monitor from Alibaba.  Here are my thoughts:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-LVDS-eDP-LCD-Controller-board_1600188966039.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.3ddd26d2wi3B6P

—First, I know, sacrilege to use a panel instead of a CRT.
—That out of the way, I adore this monitor.  BIG, BRIGHT, HD picture!
—It is a PERFECT drop in replacement for the 27” Betson I had in there.  And I do mean PERFECT; there is about a half inch clearance all the way around the monitor
—Resolution is 1920 x 1920 @ 60hz
—I did notice a bit of tearing last night but I haven’t dug into tweaking options and what not to address this.  Right now, just working on getting everything up and running again on the higher resolution
—Finally I can play higher rez stuff like TeknoParrot without additional loaders that force lower resolutions.  And I can PC game at full 1080!
—I have it set to 1920 x 1440 (4:3 ratio) so the top and bottom of the monitor are black bars.  This is perfect because my control panel comes right up to the bottom of the 1440 resolution and the speaker section comes right up to the top.
—Games can change the resolution to get the full 1920 vertical if needed.  I’ll need to rebuild a cabinet around this screen because of the points made in the previous bullet
—My Sinden lightguns are working much better with this screen
—I paid more than I wanted to for a one off sample (700 + shipping) but I’m glad I did, really happy with this screen!
—If any of you are thinking of getting one, you should all pool together to buy in bulk to bring that price down

now with pics attached!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:05:26 pm by tony.silveira »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: 33” 1:1 alibaba screen short review
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 11:38:34 am »
Glad you found something you like. Wouldn't mind to see 1:1 monitors trend to be a normal offering. Does it have good black levels?

dmckean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 12:01:34 pm »
I'd rather see the 3:2 ratio screens that are showing up in tablets and laptops take off than 1:1. It's much closer to 4:3.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:26:26 pm »
Pics or it didn’t happen.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 09:08:07 pm »
—First, I know, sacrilege to use a panel instead of a CRT.

No, no, no...you misunderstand.

It's sacrilege to replace a CRT in a classic game with an LCD.

Anything medium res and up benefits from an LCD.

We had a bunch of Cruisin' USA games, and the monitors kept dying. Spending more money on their repairs than the games were bringing in.

So, we did the right thing and swapped them for LCD TVs with a converter board. The look was amazing, and not having to fix them every other day an added bonus.

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:43 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 08:00:12 am »
Yep, I had a SF Rush with a NeoTec. Did the same, replaced with an LCD and a converter board and it looked just as good/better.  No complaints.

I would have kept the CRT though as I have nostalgia for them, but the screen had bad burn in, and there was a horizontal width issue, and I didn't feel like replacing HOTs, flybacks, caps, etc etc etc for that cab since I was converting it to a multi-racer anyways eventually.

kcorcoran

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2023, 11:59:18 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 01:25:45 pm »
what screen are you using up top?