Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Detachable and Portable Control Panel  (Read 2842 times)

Richardgregory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2021, 01:15:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Detachable and Portable Control Panel
« on: April 13, 2021, 10:34:05 am »
I originally thought of rebuilding my control panel, but instead decided to build something more simple and be portable in a way that I can remove and install to my CAB easily, or hook it to a computer or Rasberry Pi. 

The goal is to be able to play the games such as Centipede, Golden Tee, and Wacko - I didn't feel that rebuilding a control panel just for those 3 titles justifies the effort/time.

The parts I used to build this includes the following:

1 USB Zero Delay encoder
1 Ultimarc Utrak trackball
1 Suzo Joystick
1 Happ button
3/4" plywood

Keeping things simple and cost down.

Here's the layout of the control panel - having the joystick and 1 button allows me to play Galaga, pacman, etc...simple games with 1 buttons.

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
Re: Detachable and Portable Control Panel
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 10:38:34 am »
I didn't purchase the Utrak light module, but instead, I went to my local dollar store and look for options, and I found this!  A remote control LED light that allows one to change the colors by the remote.

I thought I'd give this a try - it's cheaper than buying the Ultimarc $35 light module.

Here is what the light looks like and I took it apart to reveal the LED module.  Snipped out the Red and Black wire for the +/- battery terminals, and hooked it up to the 5Volt terminal on the USB zero delay encoder.  It's .5volt higher than what 3 AA batteries would supply otherwise, but I don't think it would be any harm.

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 10:40:28 am »
Here is what the control panel looks like from the inside:  joystick, button and trackball attached....you can see the LED lighting module hooked up as well, which I will tape to the underside of the trackball.

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 10:43:49 am »
I wanted to put in some CP artwork, and since my CAB has Galaga side art, I'd figure I'd keep it as is, so I made this and printed at home on my photo printer.  I didn't have access to a router, so I could not put Plexi glass on, but instead I went to Michaels and bought a super cheap poster picture frame that used thin acrylic plastic instead of glass, so I bought that for $5 on sale.  I then use a 1/8" bit to drill out the holes and in combination of that and a razor for the 3.5 inch track ball hole

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 10:51:23 am »
I needed to determine what is the best way to be able to attach the control panel to the CAB, so I opted to use Monarch Z clips, which I think should work and be able to secure the CP to the CAB.  Here are the clips I used....and attached to the back of the portable CP and on the front of my CAB - they are made of Aluminum, and so I painted the pieces black.

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 10:56:45 am »
Here is the control panel's final artwork and thin acrylic plastic on top of the artwork.  I also purchased the Utrak bezel to hide the hole cut out...it's raised just a bit because of the thin acrylic, but I think it's acceptable.

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 10:58:54 am »
And here's some shots using the LED remote to change the colors...there's also a random Cycle option that changes the colors every few seconds:

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 11:03:30 am »
And here it is attached to the CAB - I"ll be redoing the control panel artwork as what you see is temporary.

I found the Monarch Z clips work fine and secures the control panel nice!!!  No issues with weight or shifting of the CP.  I've had to put a 1/4" piece of wood on the clip that's mounted on the CAB to have it stick out enough to clear some space that was restricting me from mounting the CP on top of the clip.

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:04:34 am »
I have the 2 USB cables - 1 for Trackball and 1 for the USB encoder going through the open coin door at the moment until I figure out where I want to drill and run the wires through.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 11:25:51 am »
Looks like a great way to add those controls to me.. Well done and enjoy!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk