Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trackball Not working in Win 7  (Read 2943 times)

TheMadMechanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2023, 10:30:36 pm
Trackball Not working in Win 7
« on: April 12, 2021, 01:49:48 pm »
Hi All,

First off if there is an existing thread discussing this issue feel free to point it out to me or a link.

I am trying to get a trackball added to my mame setup but it does not work once I plug it into the ps2 port or even through an active (blue cube - ps2 to usb) the Green led lights up but the mouse point does not move.

Here are my specs: Win 7. mame .209. It is recognized by Win 7 as a Usb device under device manger but no point movement with the trackball. I opened it up and everything is working.
I have tried it with my win 10 machine with the active on it registered as a usb/ps2 mouse but no pointer movement.

Attached pictures of the generic trackball and active connector I am using.

Is there something I am doing wrong? or should I just go for one of these adaptors? https://www.amazon.ca/LEIHONG-Adapter-Keyboard-Scanner-Converter/dp/B089F2BZKV

I know my trackball worked years ago.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Trackball Not working in Win 7
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:09:38 pm »
Sounds like a driver issue at first blush.

Windows may recognize that usb/ps2 adapter and then not know what to do with the trackball still.

What brand is that anyway?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

TheMadMechanic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 09:24:15 pm »

Windows may recognize that usb/ps2 adapter and then not know what to do with the trackball still.

I don't know I got it in 2013 and decided to dust it off and use it. I tried looking for drivers online but nothing shows up. I can try it on a Win xp and see if it works.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 09:48:48 pm »

I don't know I got it in 2013 and decided to dust it off and use it. I tried looking for drivers online but nothing shows up. I can try it on a Win xp and see if it works.

If you still have the system it worked in before you could always dig through the device manager list to find what the driver was.
If not then I imagine it might be a struggle to sort out if Win10 doesn't recognize it right off the bat.

XP was even testier when it came to having proper drivers (manually) loaded IIRC.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

TheMadMechanic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 10:16:59 pm »

Thanks Bobbyb13.. I will try looking for drivers online and try a few more options (older win OS) to get this working. Pretty sure it worked on my work laptop on win 7... that was a few years ago.

If you still have the system it worked in before you could always dig through the device manager list to find what the driver was.
If not then I imagine it might be a struggle to sort out if Win10 doesn't recognize it right off the bat.

XP was even testier when it came to having proper drivers (manually) loaded IIRC.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 11:12:00 pm »
There are many here WAY beyond my level with these things and with any luck someone else will see your pic and recognize that unit.

TheMadMechanic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 07:38:20 pm »
There are many here WAY beyond my level with these things and with any luck someone else will see your pic and recognize that unit.

Thanks.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 09:58:06 pm »
I have a trackball that looks almost identical to yours, except instead of a "H" mine says "K M". Bought it from China few years ago, but never used it.

Just plugged it into my XP machine, and it works via PS2 only (as a standard PS2 mouse). I have a passive PS2 to USB adapter but I can't get XP to recognise the trackball that way (although the LED light inside the ball does come on). So, just same as your experience.

Exactly the same experience with my Win7 machine. It only works via PS2 unless there is some arcane thing we don't know about yet.
Check out my completed projects!

TheMadMechanic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 10:38:35 pm »
@zebidee - I think it may be a driver problem as Bobby13 mentioned. I have tried this evening to download the intellipoint drivers for win 7 but still did not work. Here is what I found on Microsoft website; see pictures. I am going to try one of those adapters of amazon and see it it works. Looks like MS discontinued support for older ps2 mice. I checked online forums trying to find  an old driver for a PS2 mouse no luck.

There is this registry edit for Win 10.  I tried it but no luck. I may work for you:

https://hitech-us.com/articles/entry/303/PS/2-mouse-is-not-working-on-Windows-10
or a youttube link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UI58URe9eE

Let me know if it works.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 10:40:50 pm »

Is there something I am doing wrong? or should I just go for one of these adaptors? https://www.amazon.ca/LEIHONG-Adapter-Keyboard-Scanner-Converter/dp/B089F2BZKV

SInce the active adapter you posted is purple and IIRC the purple is usually Keyboard adapter and green was mouse it could be that adapter is for a keyboard not a mouse ( might not have the wiring for the mouse pins inside the adapter ) - I have the same type trackball and use an adapter similar to the one linked and it works fine (just be sure to use the green connector ) -- Also IIRC the adapter had to be plugged in when the system was powered on and then rebooted before it would work ( PS2 was not hot swappable so in oorder to be seen had to first install the adapter ( pc would see the adapter - then turn off and plug in the trackball and turn back on and it would install the trackball as a mouse - then after first install it could be hot swapped and work properly but for installing the first time would not install properlyyt since it installed just the adapter and did not recognize the trackball ( SO try doing that and see if it helps.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:43:45 pm by JDFan »

TheMadMechanic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 10:49:30 pm »

SInce the active adapter you posted is purple and IIRC the purple is usually Keyboard adapter and green was mouse it could be that adapter is for a keyboard not a mouse ( might not have the wiring for the mouse pins inside the adapter ) - I have the same type trackball and use an adapter similar to the one linked and it works fine (just be sure to use the green connector ) -- Also IIRC the adapter had to be plugged in when the system was powered on and then rebooted before it would work ( PS2 was not hot swappable so in oorder to be seen had to first install the adapter ( pc would see the adapter - then turn off and plug in the trackball and turn back on and it would install the trackball as a mouse - then after first install it could be hot swapped and work properly but for installing the first time would not install properlyyt since it installed just the adapter and did not recognize the trackball ( SO try doing that and see if it helps.)

..Ah!!! never though about the purple and green guess there was always a reason for those colours ;D  will get the adaptor and once I get it and try it out will post an update then.

TheMadMechanic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 02:36:40 pm »

@JDfan.. it works!!! :applaud: thanks.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 03:20:23 pm »

Glad to hear you got it working -- Did you have to do the multiple boots to get it to install correctly ?

TheMadMechanic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 03:26:36 pm »

Glad to hear you got it working -- Did you have to do the multiple boots to get it to install correctly ?

Just plugged it in waited impatiently  :lol while windows booted up and installed drivers and Voila!! it worked.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 01:25:16 am »

Just plugged it in waited impatiently  :lol while windows booted up and installed drivers and Voila!! it worked.

I ordered something apparently identical a few days ago. Hopefully it'll work just as well when it arrives :D
Check out my completed projects!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 08:01:08 am »
haha!
I have 2 of these trackballs i'm building into bartops and just had a similar issue last night.
The thin client i'm using came with ps2 ports and i had it plugged into the purple one.
it took me a min. to figure out why it worked with the usb adaptor i had but not over ps2.