Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade PSU Questions - Use or remove  (Read 1168 times)

pmposse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 01:59:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade PSU Questions - Use or remove
« on: April 09, 2021, 12:01:43 pm »
Hello all,
Up until recently I had an old PC running Windows in my cab off an ATX PSU. The hard drive broke about a year ago and I've just got round to sorting it. I've replaced the faulty monitor and the PC with an LCD and a Pi4 and got shut of the ATX PSU. So far so good.
I have an issue with the arcade PSU also currently in the cab, at the moment it powers the coin mech and the marquee light and here is my issue; It won't ever be used as a jamma cab again or with a CRT so should I get rid of the PSU and the transformer and replace it with a more simple power setup for the coin mech or, as it's still working, can I use this PSU to run some LEDs for the marquee and an amp for the speakers?
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the colour of the cabling from the cab PSU and there's a good few snipped ends on the whole thing so I'd rather not go poking around and zap myself. I'd be happy to muck about with an ATX PSU as I'm used to that but the cab PSU is another story.
Is it possible to just run the 12v required for the amp and the 5v for the lights directly off the terminals on the cab PSU?
Sorry if this is an obvious question!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Arcade PSU Questions - Use or remove
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 02:30:34 pm »
No sense in abandoning something that works if it puts out the voltages you need.

I'm not really familiar with jamma but isn't the wiring coloring standardized?

If you post a picture and have a tester I bet it can be sorted out with a bit of help.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Phreakwars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 11:01:45 pm »
Check out part 3 of my for dummies series on YouTube. I get into simplifying the wiring connections using a DC to DC converter

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:31:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 01:15:41 am »
Hello all,
Up until recently I had an old PC running Windows in my cab off an ATX PSU. The hard drive broke about a year ago and I've just got round to sorting it. I've replaced the faulty monitor and the PC with an LCD and a Pi4 and got shut of the ATX PSU. So far so good.
I have an issue with the arcade PSU also currently in the cab, at the moment it powers the coin mech and the marquee light and here is my issue; It won't ever be used as a jamma cab again or with a CRT so should I get rid of the PSU and the transformer and replace it with a more simple power setup for the coin mech or, as it's still working, can I use this PSU to run some LEDs for the marquee and an amp for the speakers?
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the colour of the cabling from the cab PSU and there's a good few snipped ends on the whole thing so I'd rather not go poking around and zap myself. I'd be happy to muck about with an ATX PSU as I'm used to that but the cab PSU is another story.
Is it possible to just run the 12v required for the amp and the 5v for the lights directly off the terminals on the cab PSU?
Sorry if this is an obvious question!

It is easily possible to run coin door and amp from ATX PSU. Just make sure it is a decent PSU with enough power "headroom" to do all that as well as PC and anything else.

There is also no harm in leaving the arcade DC power supply in there. May as well as it has all the connectors and everything all setup and just there. Just make sure you don't get the grounds mixed up between power supplies.
Check out my completed projects!