Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Does a utility exist for auditing games to determine genre, # of players, etc?  (Read 5090 times)

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
Hi all. My significant other and I have been playing more games together during this pandemic. I would like to find games for different consoles that are two player and in the action/adventure genre. Whenever I Google "two player games for xyz" I usually just find lists of co-op games. We actually prefer games like Super Mario Brothers where each player gets their own turn. Is there a utility or database out there that would have that kind of information? I think what I'm looking for would be a program similar to ROMLister, but for console games.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
You are really bad at google then.   For one of your first questions here your answer should have been a program that uses controls.dat (that'll help you sort by controls, ect) and for this the answer is a program that uses nplayers.ini  They've only been around for over 10 years.  ;)

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
You are really bad at google then.   For one of your first questions here your answer should have been a program that uses controls.dat (that'll help you sort by controls, ect) and for this the answer is a program that uses nplayers.ini  They've only been around for over 10 years.  ;)

Do those files contain data for console games? I've always been under the impression that they were just for arcade games. If the do contain console game info, what program would I feed those into to generate a list of 2 player games by genre or to audit a rom set in order to filter out everything but those types of games?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Honestly I'm not sure these days.   Since mame merged with mess the console games should be in there for nplayers.ini   As for controls.dat that would be a rather silly thing to add considering 99.9% of the games on any given console would just use the stock gamepad.