Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ArcadeOSD 101?  (Read 2439 times)

xaryC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 11:14:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
ArcadeOSD 101?
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:06:48 am »
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone has a link to a (noob) guide on how to use arcadeOSD.

I have a mortal kombat 4 cabinet with a monitor that I replaced with a PAL TV set.

I have a Jamma switch with both an original mortal kombat 4 PCB and a PC connected with a J-pac.

I have set the geometry for my TV set with the service menu to display the mk4 PCB correctly. But now nothing on my PC is right...

I'm using groovymame, readream dreamcast emulator, PCSX2 emulator and dosbox. All are controlled trough Bigbox/launchbox frontend.

Groovymame games (2560x254) are shifted down and my desktop (648x480) / redream emulator (640x480) / dosbox (320x240) are shifted up.

I understood from various post I read that vertical geometry is hard or not to adjust...

Is there anything I can try to get this working? I tried messing with arcadeOSD but I have no idea what I'm doing  :-[ I can get the image down or up but nothing perfect. Still black borders or cut offs...

Thank you in advance!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:17 pm
Re: ArcadeOSD 101?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 04:42:05 am »
Wondering - Have you tried any 60hz modes with the TV? What monitor preset (monitor.ini) are you using?
Check out my completed projects!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 04:50:02 am »
I have a Jamma switch with both an original mortal kombat 4 PCB and a PC connected with a J-pac.

JPACs amplify the RGB signals to JAMMA arcade monitor levels something like ~3vpp. TVs expect 0.7 or up to 1vpp for composite signals. Have you had excessive brightness issues with PC input via JPAC?

xaryC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 07:58:07 am »
Wondering - Have you tried any 60hz modes with the TV? What monitor preset (monitor.ini) are you using?
I'm using the generic_15 preset. I also tried changing the vertical back porch to 1.056 in stead of the 1.024 because I read in the 2019 setup guide from groovymame that chanching this value will shift the picture, but no luck there...
 Allmost all my resolutions are 60hz I think...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A505FN met Tapatalk

xaryC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 07:59:54 am »

JPACs amplify the RGB signals to JAMMA arcade monitor levels something like ~3vpp. TVs expect 0.7 or up to 1vpp for composite signals. Have you had excessive brightness issues with PC input via JPAC?
Between the main jamma connector and the switch, i have a jamma to scart convertor with potmeters to amplify the colors, I have no issues with that...

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 04:28:43 pm »

Between the main jamma connector and the switch, i have a jamma to scart convertor with potmeters to amplify the colors, I have no issues with that...

Cool. Was going to say, you probably want some pots or maybe just 150R resistors inline on RGB signals. Not that this would affect image position on screen.

I was concerned that you were running all your modes in PAL/50hz, is why I asked about about the presets. But you are using generic15khz preset, your TV seems to handle MK ok and that has a weird refresh rate, and you say the modes are mostly 60hz anyway so seems like a dead end.

There isn't a lot you can do about vertical height/position on a TV. Depends on the TV a lot. I don't know what to add beyond adjusting your monitor presets and/or your modes in ArcadeOSD. Once you get geometry in one mode right, there is a way to cut-and-paste the modelines so that the geometry gets passed onto other modes, maybe you could search the forum for that, but am not an expert at doing that myself sorry.

xaryC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 04:48:07 pm »

Cool. Was going to say, you probably want some pots or maybe just 150R resistors inline on RGB signals. Not that this would affect image position on screen.

I was concerned that you were running all your modes in PAL/50hz, is why I asked about about the presets. But you are using generic15khz preset, your TV seems to handle MK ok and that has a weird refresh rate, and you say the modes are mostly 60hz anyway so seems like a dead end.

There isn't a lot you can do about vertical height/position on a TV. Depends on the TV a lot. I don't know what to add beyond adjusting your monitor presets and/or your modes in ArcadeOSD. Once you get geometry in one mode right, there is a way to cut-and-paste the modelines so that the geometry gets passed onto other modes, maybe you could search the forum for that, but am not an expert at doing that myself sorry.
Thanks, I'll take a look into that... i also dug into the service manual of my TV set but couldn't find any more things to tweak... Just the geometry wich I set right trough the monitor patterns on my mk4 pcb...

I'll try some things again tomorrow and maybe I'll get lucky, or otherwise I just have to live with it I guess.... I just wanted to have the original mk4 pcb cause the emulation of that game is not 100% on mame...