Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pacman  (Read 5000 times)

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
Pacman
« on: April 02, 2021, 11:02:56 pm »
I was initially on the lookout for an arcade CRT.  I stumbled upon an ad on OfferUp for a Galaga cab but when I contacted him I found out it had an LCD.  The good news is I was able to make contact and tour the guys shop.  He had at least 100 arcade cabs and various other items stored in these industrial suites.  I guess he also rents out bubble gum machines, slot machines, arcades, etc.  I wanted a cab with a vertical monitor that could be setup with a jamma harness so I could swap in a BitKit or MisterCade.  This cab seems in pretty good shape though so I'm itching to restore it back to new condition.  I'm just not sure if its in bad enough condition to justify a complete new stencil job.  It does have 4" sections near the side front where someone painted black.  He couldn't get the machine to power up but I told him I'd take it if he swapped in a working monitor I saw running in another pacman cab that was in bad shape.  He didn't want to knock much off the price with the dead Pacman board so I talked him into putting a Ms Pacman board in there and then sell me the original Pacman board that needs fixing.  You can see where it has a burnt area on the board but I think it can be saved.  So the CRT works and it plays Ms Pacman.  Just need to decide what level of restoration to do and then I'd like to make additional control panels for running the BitKit and MisterCade.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
Re: Pacman
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 12:28:45 am »
Nice score, hope it didn't cost too much, should come up really well
Check out my completed projects!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 09:52:00 am »

I read that as you don't think its worth that much.  I just have no idea what "too much" means to everyone.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 10:28:06 am »
It is safe to completely ignore that when people say it. It doesn't mean anything.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 10:38:59 am »
I did have Mike A on speed dial to double-check I wasn't getting ripped off.  It wasn't a steal but I take several things into account for a buy like this.  First is I've had trouble getting decent arcade CRTs.  I've paid $500 just to get a nice CRT.  Some think that is high but they were tube swapped and a cap kit and $150 of that was shipping.   Those CRTs are in my Robotron and Joust and look like brand new monitors.  Its not easy to get cabs in AZ there are tons of collectors and cab butchers around here scooping them up.  This guy I bought it from was somewhat of a cab butcher.  If there is any sign of trouble with the CRT he is quick to install an LCD and a 60-in-1.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 11:44:41 am »
Give this the Joust/Robotron treatment!  You can still add a BitKit or Mister but just limit the game list to Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man, Frogger, Nibbler and other similar joystick-only games...

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 09:47:36 pm »

I read that as you don't think its worth that much.  I just have no idea what "too much" means to everyone.

That is not what I meant, you are reading too much into it. I just meant that I hope you think you got good or fair value. I have no real idea of what "too much" is either, you are the only person that can answer that question.

The whole comment was meant to be generally positive. I wish I could find a classic cab like that close to me and at a reasonable price.

It is also usually safe to ignore comments that it doesn't mean anything, as those comments themselves have little meaning.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 03:51:01 am »
From Zebidee I wouldn't assume it was a jab!

Out here that cabinet would probably cost you $3k.
There aren't any left.

I cringe to think of how many went to the Waimanalo Gulch before I became obsessed with arcade cabinets.

I imagine Zebidee's post was more the "hope you didn't have to pay too much (for your own sake!) to own a piece of history" kind of sentiment.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 12:02:13 pm »
Cabs like that don't even exist in my part of the world, AFAIK. Therefore = priceless

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 12:10:14 pm »
You guys are not really missing much, Most of those cabs old as they are have lived a long hard life, when you play them hard, or move them the joints creak from old age and dry rot, This one seems to be a really nice surviver however, and is always fun to see  one in any condition...You can make replicas nowadays from CNC files, they are actually really good as far as dimensions go.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:14:15 pm by jennifer »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 12:20:16 am »
If I was to build a replica cab I'd probably start with Moon Patrol. I have the original PCB stashed away, would like to make a nice home for it. There are resources out there for that too. But that is another story!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 04:32:55 am »
If I was to build a replica cab I'd probably start with Moon Patrol. I have the original PCB stashed away, would like to make a nice home for it. There are resources out there for that too. But that is another story!

It's a good thing I don't have more room or I would need a lot more $$ for cab building
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 05:08:46 am »
It's a good thing I don't have more room or I would need a lot more $$ for cab building

Dollars aren't the real problem. Time and energy are in bigger need!