Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Robotron Wico joystick skipping in 1 direction  (Read 1922 times)

Thraug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 12:44:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Robotron Wico joystick skipping in 1 direction
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:21:17 pm »
When I move my Robotron Wico joystick left it repeatedly and rapidly skips on and off. All of the other directionals work on both sticks. These sticks are freshly installed New-Old-Stock Wicos, installed in a JROK multi-Williams PCB.

I've tried the follow:
  • Adjusting the leaf switch spacing
  • Cleaning the leaf switch contacts, by putting a cardboard piece between them and pulling it out.

Is this a switch problem? I have spare NOS switches I can install but since I'm new to this I figured I ask the experts before swapping parts.
Is it a wiring problem?

Here's a link to a short video showing the problem:

Here's a pic of my connections:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:31:22 pm by Thraug »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Robotron Wico joystick skipping in 1 direction
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 08:17:09 pm »
Check the ground wire connection.  It's possible there's a break in the wire, or the crimping to the QD isn't right.

Thraug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 11:12:08 pm »
Check the ground wire connection.  It's possible there's a break in the wire, or the crimping to the QD isn't right.

Would it matter if I cut the end of the ground chain off? The JAMMA harness' ground daisy chain had about 25 ground terminals and I cut off the end of the chain I didn't need.
Also, newbie question, what is QD? Quick Disconnect?

Lastly, my JAMMA harness has "quick" connect terminals, as seen below, and while they are quick to connect, they are a royal PITA to remove. I connected everything on my workbench to ensure everything was working, then I disconnected all of the wires. A learned mistake, as most of the connections were so hard to remove I used a small screw driver to pry open the terminal a little bit to avoid breaking off the post. Is there good/easy way to remove these quick terminals? I had to crimp many of them back into shape before putting them on, and I likely didn't get all of them into the best shape.

My connections, as they are now. Is the spacing of these contacts good? I watched a lot of videos on how to get these correct and adjusted all of them to around ... ~4mm apart.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 12:02:16 am »
Would it matter if I cut the end of the ground chain off? The JAMMA harness' ground daisy chain had about 25 ground terminals and I cut off the end of the chain I didn't need.
As long as as it reaches all of the switches, removing the excess length won't matter.
- Some people connect both ends of the daisy-chain to ground.  That way even if there's one break in the chain, all of the QDs are still connected to ground.

what is QD? Quick Disconnect?
Yes.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Wiring#Quick_Disconnects

Scott

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 08:42:20 am »
And less possible, make sure the connection it makes when you press left is firm and not lightly touching

Thraug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 06:49:51 pm »
I disconnected, reformed, and reconnected any wobbly ground and line terminals and it was better but that single left direction was still skipping. It skipped less, but it still skipped, and diagonal NW and SW movement was not smooth. I also noticed the MOVE -> RIGHT was also skipping, but much less than MOVE -> LEFT.

I ended up replacing the MOVE LEFT and MOVE RIGHT leaf switches with spares I (thankfully) purchased. One switch was a new-old stock and the other was a reproduction. That did the trick, and all moves and fire are smooooth!!

Thanks everyone! It's Robot Fighting Time (Battlebots reference)!! 👾

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 07:15:14 pm »
Awesome, glad you got it sorted  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 07:52:10 pm »
I disconnected, reformed, and reconnected any wobbly ground and line terminals and it was better but that single left direction was still skipping. It skipped less, but it still skipped, and diagonal NW and SW movement was not smooth. I also noticed the MOVE -> RIGHT was also skipping, but much less than MOVE -> LEFT.

I ended up replacing the MOVE LEFT and MOVE RIGHT leaf switches with spares I (thankfully) purchased. One switch was a new-old stock and the other was a reproduction. That did the trick, and all moves and fire are smooooth!!

Thanks everyone! It's Robot Fighting Time (Battlebots reference)!!
Leaf switches are prone to getting dirty and worn out. Glad the new ones fixed things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 09:34:08 am »
It’s two pieces of metal touching each other.  The only reason they wouldn’t work is because they weren’t touching each other.  Poor alignment, broken switch housing, or dirty.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 07:24:47 pm »
my bet is the metal of the leaf tongs might be broken inside the plastic housing. so even if the two leafs are contacting on the outside, its possible inside the small plastic block housing the metal could be fractured. I'm curious what a continuity test would bring up from the tip of the leaf tongs to their QD ends.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 09:26:08 pm »
I've had that happen before.   An imperceptible amount of corrosion can do it as well.   Leafs are a pain unfortunately.