Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recommend a great USB Flight stick with throttle or yock for After Burner and Star Wars Battle Pod  (Read 1954 times)

Rockstead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
- FFB would be a plus, assuming Star Wars Battle Pod outputs it or if there is a plug-in

- USB Plug-in that I can sit on my CP when used and is solid

- Cost I’m open to 300USD+ if I had to, depending on the supported games, less is good too

- It seems cool having a throttle with it but I could be convinced otherwise

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
I really do not want to make my Starwars 1Up Bench garish like those featured in YT videos where they have cheap joysticks mounted to the control panel, but games like Star Wars Battle Pod (SWPB) needs a throttle to be able to function.  One would assign a button to the game but it doesn't work like that, nor does a foot pedal work.

Luckily my 1up cabinets are close together can can provide a place to add a programmable joystick within reach that has the throttle and those extra buttons if needed.  I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and it works very well.  I also have a Thrust Master HOTAS T-Flight for my PC gaming that makes SWPB even more playable, but any joystick or Xbox controller will do.

Good luck finding one cheap enough.  Amazon has the Logitech or a clone for $50, and they usually go for $32.

I get mine at goodwill stores and repair them for $5.  :)

Ugh:

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
Huge shout out to [mention]DarthMarino [/mention] for all the feedback he gave me today on this topic

I spent the day reading up on reviews, and lots of great feedback from Darth Marino and I think I’ve decided on the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS controller, and there is a model that comes with a throttle too.

Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS Controller (Windows) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KCHPRXA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_EKDDGGX4KQFN4ESBAV0X

I also used the KLOV search based on analogue controls and I’ll go through those games too, it’s not clear to me at this point on how much manipulation you have to do to get the games to work right or if anyone has documented this yet.

I’ll also keep going though a lot of the videos of Analog games DarthMarino posted on YouTube, it’s really the only content on YouTube you can find about emulation and Analog compatible games.

I’m hoping this will work well with the following games and anything else would be a bonus, I was hoping there would be a complete list I could refer to. I found the one on the wiki but it seems to be incomplete.

Star Wars Battle Pod
Every other Star Wars games
Every Tron game
Spy Hunter
Paperboy
Space Harrier
All the After Burner games
720 would be a huge bonus

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
imho the "best" flight sticks are the ones they don't make anymore, at least as it pertains to our hobby.   A lot of the flight games in the arcade had some form of force feedback but modern sticks lack any force feedback.   I'm always on the lookout for an oldschool sidewinder v2 flight stick with usb and force feedback.   The build quality probably isn't on par but you get some rumble.   

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
imho the "best" flight sticks are the ones they don't make anymore, at least as it pertains to our hobby.   A lot of the flight games in the arcade had some form of force feedback but modern sticks lack any force feedback.   I'm always on the lookout for an oldschool sidewinder v2 flight stick with usb and force feedback.   The build quality probably isn't on par but you get some rumble.

Interestingly enough I had been reading up on that today with the same question, like why aren’t any of these costly sticks rocking some FFB and it is related to patent troll companies, they aren’t licensing them and they aren’t producing them.

Seob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 01:40:33 am
I use a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro combined with a teensy 2.0 using the info form this side https://github.com/tloimu/adapt-ffb-joy/issues/23
I only use the lower part without the extra trimpots and without the optional capacitors and it works great. The teensy 2.0 can be bought for around 15 dollars from a respectable source.
It’s a great option.