Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Big Buck Safari Restoration  (Read 7481 times)

bsoder52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 08:57:04 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Big Buck Safari Restoration
« on: March 29, 2021, 10:35:24 pm »
I was lucky enough to catch a FB marketplace post of this free gutted Buck Hunter Safari cab at our local coin op place.  I've done a couple retropi mods to some 1ups and might use a buckhunter 1up to refurb this. I'm not sure about light gun options and how they work with pi4 but starting to do some research. If anyone has suggestion for refurb options I'd be all ears. The space for the monitor is 21" wide by 16" tall. I've never done a monitor install this size but looking forward to it!  I used to be a pretty active member on here but it was years ago, I'm glad this site is growing strong. I was on here to build my first mame arcade and uses Lucid's plans back then which were just about the only plans floating around at the time, LOL. 20 years ago??? I got into other hobbies over the years but always had one cab that I would rebuild and use, sometimes running a dreamcast or a PC. Anyways, appreciate any advice the members here have for this new project. I'm totally over my head!!! LOL I've been a hunter my whole life and will truely enjoy this rebuild!  Thanks for for any help! Pics of the cab and a pic of the screws that hold the marquee in place. I can't really get to the marquee from the back of the cab without ripping out boards there were glued together so hopeful to find out what kind of screwdriver set I need to pull these. The same type screw is usued to hold on the front paneling and plastic pieces, but larger screws same ends, so that would be a nice starting point too if anyone knows?  Thanks again!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Big Buck Safari Restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 10:51:37 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:42:48 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 10:57:18 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:43:07 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 11:03:47 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:43:26 pm by jennifer »

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 11:30:40 pm »
Thanks Jenn!  I'll give them a ring tomorrow. I notice they cut all the wires inside it to where it proly all hooked up to the board. There is some cosmetic damage to the wood which I can deal with and fix, maybe I'll get lucky and they have it all yet. The locks were removed and there is no cash box.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 11:55:45 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:43:43 pm by jennifer »

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 12:11:02 am »
I haven't been dumpster diving in years!  LOL I'll give them a ring in the morning. maybe there are in the internal trash yet. But something must have been seriously wrong with it for them to gut it. These go for over $1K on the used market I'm seeing.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 12:30:15 am »
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:43:57 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 01:04:03 am »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:44:09 pm by jennifer »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 04:42:39 am »
pic of the screws that hold the marquee in place. I can't really get to the marquee from the back of the cab without ripping out boards there were glued together so hopeful to find out what kind of screwdriver set I need to pull these. The same type screw is usued to hold on the front paneling and plastic pieces, but larger screws same ends, so that would be a nice starting point too if anyone knows?
That looks like a hollow-tip Torx.

These are good sets of security bits.  I prefer the 100 piece one.  YMMV.

https://www.harborfreight.com/security-bit-set-with-case-100-pc-68457.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/security-bit-set-33-pc-68459.html

Scott

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 08:59:07 am »
Thanks PL1 I'll check em out!

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 09:18:52 am »
Well I couldn't get ahold of the place til yesterday and spoke with like the 2nd in charge. She told me knew everything was headed for the trash, but sometimes they keep parts they think they can reuse later. She took down a note to ask the owner about it today and told me if I didn't hear back from them today on it that it was all trashed out. I made it clear that I would purchase any parts they did keep and made sure to mention that a couple times so hopefully they call today with some guns! I feel like I can get a monitor and a PCB later right?

The monitor bezel size is 21" wide by 16" high. Best resource to get on that fits? I have no idea. Should I start looking for older square but "flat screen" on the facebook market near me? Not sure if they had HDMI connections on those. I could put a newer TV/monitor in it but they are all 16/9 aspect ration these days so that really won't fill the space well...hmm.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:42 am
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 10:46:15 am »
Well I couldn't get ahold of the place til yesterday and spoke with like the 2nd in charge. She told me knew everything was headed for the trash, but sometimes they keep parts they think they can reuse later. She took down a note to ask the owner about it today and told me if I didn't hear back from them today on it that it was all trashed out. I made it clear that I would purchase any parts they did keep and made sure to mention that a couple times so hopefully they call today with some guns! I feel like I can get a monitor and a PCB later right?

The monitor bezel size is 21" wide by 16" high. Best resource to get on that fits? I have no idea. Should I start looking for older square but "flat screen" on the facebook market near me? Not sure if they had HDMI connections on those. I could put a newer TV/monitor in it but they are all 16/9 aspect ration these days so that really won't fill the space well...hmm.

Not sure how compatible they would be or what the quality would be like, but I think I saw that Arcade1up is doing a Big Buck Hunter cab?  Might be a suitable temporary replacement option for parts until you can find the originals.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 11:30:48 am »
funny i was thinking the same thing, but they are like $600. I am picking u a cheap Jakks Specific big buck hunter set here til I figure our if I want to go that route or what.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:08:16 pm
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 06:00:28 am »
This is a really pretty cab, but I'm sure getting all the original parts is gonna be a disaster. Raw thrills games are not the most desirable money wise anyways.

Maybe look at a second hand pc and get two pc lightguns?

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 12:12:58 pm »
I have never done a light gun build but I've done other PC and Raspberry PI builds and mods to some 1UPS so I feel I could do that. Does anyone know what light guns would be options for a a PC build?  They would need to be shotgun style guns for it to fit the cab theme though.

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:12:35 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 04:53:08 pm »
i use a mayflash dolphin bar and a wiimote, set up as a mouse so quite easy to use, some say its not that accurate but suits me fine for mame, you might be able to get a shotgun addon for the wiimote, might be secondhand tho.

quick google - https://www.amazon.com.au/Cabelas-Shot-Peripheral-Firearm-Controller/dp/B00HJXI6XY outta of stock (of course) but gives you an idea perhaps.

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 10:44:53 am »
I ended up ordering the Jakks Specific 2 shotgun game set for pretty cheap and plan to just watch for a either a beat up Arcade1up Buck Hunter or the guts for sale sometime.
Figure once I put the 1UP guts in it I can put the Jakks Specific game into the 1UP cabinet, redo the 4in1 game sticker to just Buck Huneter and garage sale it.

Before that I did a bit of a search to see if I could source the parts, but it looks pretty expensive. Replacement guns are $150-200 each. Most of the parts I see listed on ebay are for the Buck Hunter Pro game, no the Safari game to match my cabinet. I doubt they made as many of the Safari's and think it will be hard to source the parts and expensive. The buck hunter 1up I can proly get for $400 I feel like if I watch the marketplace. Have to admit though would love to have the big heavy Happ guns that are used in the real game. LOL

And I like the idea of the 1UP guts cause you get 4 games and one of them is the cabinet I have.

The biggest problem I'm having right now is to find a monitor that will suit this rebuild. Ideally one that will take composit video (for the JAKKS Specific game initially) and HDMI for the 1UP mod later....but that will fit this odd space.  The cabinet shell monitor space is 21" across by 16" high. I've been searching the marketplace and ebay the last 2 days looking for a suitable monitor to put in there that would take up most of the space and haven't found anything good enough yet. Could sure you some help with best options on that. Component video isn't a deal breaker, would need HDMI though. (Can run a component to HDMI converter I believe)

Thanks again for your help and support!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 12:35:42 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:44:26 pm by jennifer »

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 05:40:16 pm »
nice!

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 05:36:49 pm »
As I enjoy my time in the garage chipping away at dismantling all the bezels and plastic and cleaning them up I continually think about the two main issues with the cab. Facing the cabinet the right side has some wood problems. One on the "upper area" near the monitor and one on the "lower area" near the coin mech. Looks like it either was dropped on that side or someone punched and kicked the machine. The wood is all there, but split and coming out of the T-Molding. I'm thinking the best way to fix them will be to fabricate wood panels that fit the sides of the issues, hit the cracks with wood glue and put clamps around them for a day... then put the Tmolding back down with hot glue gun. I've never fixed a cabinet before so my concern with doing this is using too much glue and having is squirt out the cracks and getting the wood panels I'd use for clamping stuck to the cabinet or some other kinda mess. Anyone have suggestions on how to best fix these problem areas I'd be all ears thanks! Other than these the thing is pretty rock solid and I'm just cleaning up cosmetic stuff.  Thanks again!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 08:27:43 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:44:57 pm by jennifer »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2021, 03:33:41 am »
Epoxy is a great idea for gluing things back together.

If you are using aluzine based epoxy, denatured alcohol is also a great thinner and is also a not so toxic not melting stuff either kinda thing to use for cleanup too!

You might want to get REALLY good pictures of the sideart before you begin.

If you have a mishap or decide you want replacements it might be hard to find those images and someone who is good could photoshop even a rough picture back to perfection for printing.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 11:51:03 am »
Honestly I'd just throw this in a dumpster and start over with another project. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 01:14:36 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:45:20 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2021, 01:25:53 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:45:37 pm by jennifer »

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 01:02:00 pm »
Jennifer - I don't have much time. My spouse wants me to get it out of the garage an into the game room because she wants the garage opened up to get ready for the mothers day garage sale. I have worked with Epoxy before (boat epoxy and have some left I think I can use to fix the paneling up). It doesnt expand and it doesn't drip so I think it will be good for this application. Ill proly just use it sparingly and hold it together while it sets with clamps and wood blocks.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 02:22:26 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:46:04 pm by jennifer »

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 12:19:54 pm »
I continue to work on this project. Looks like I'll need to do something with the door locks. both were removed. Is there a standard replacement for them? I don't think I'll ever use them so the least expensive option that looks reasonable would be the route I'd be looking to take. Thanks for any options!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 12:53:58 pm »
Just look up cam lock on Amazon and you will find options for cheap.

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 07:36:28 pm »
Just look up cam lock on Amazon and you will find options for cheap.

Got some ordered thanks!

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 07:44:03 pm »
The guns wires ran through these ports. The screw holes are 3" apart from each other. Im trying to find some cheap plasted speaker covers to use on them, but can't seem to find any...most are 4 hole covers. also check ebay for replacement port covers for actual guns but no luck. Any thought are appreciated!  I'm excited cause I'm getting near the end of this project!  Was able to fix one of the wood issues, one to go. Got some replacement LEDS on the way for the marque and some cam locks ordered. Found a TV that that fits the space pretty nice, got another that's a bit larger I'm going to pick up and try out as well. This is pretty fun and soon I'll have Buck Hunter in the arcade!  :)  Thanks for everyone's help on here!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2021, 09:37:49 pm »
The guns wires ran through these ports. The screw holes are 3" apart from each other. Im trying to find some cheap plasted speaker covers to use on them, but can't seem to find any...most are 4 hole covers. also check ebay for replacement port covers for actual guns but no luck. Any thought are appreciated!
That plate might come with a replacement gun if you're buying one.

If you're not buying replacement guns, do you have access to a 3d printer?

A piece like that plate should be easy to design in OpenSCAD.
- At a minimum, you'd need to measure the screw hole diameter, center hole diameter, and distance between the center hole and the screw hole (A) in mm if possible.
- It would be handy if you could also measure the width of the flattened triangle points (B) and the distance between the center hole and the flattened triangle point. (C)
- With those five measurements, it should be fairly easy to make a cover plate like the one in this pic. (click for full-size)

The other thing to figure out is how to fasten the gun cable to the plate/cab so there's a suitable connection and strain relief -- not sure if you're using original guns/cables.

Scott

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2021, 11:23:25 am »
Thanks PL1!

I'm not planning to buy replacement guns. I'm going to run a Jakks Specific plug and play buck hunter, and look for a busted up Arcade1up Buck Hunter to use those guts and guns eventually. I do have a 3d printer but I dont have the design skills. I've done some stuff with Tinkercad and was trying some to design something the other day. What I'm really good at is woodworking and your post let me realize I can just cut, drill and paint the darn things pretty easy! THANKS MUCH for your response!

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2021, 11:40:08 am »
Well looks like one of my kids (or their friends) got a little too curious with the exposed speaker on the cab. I've tried pressing the sides of the indentation a bit in an effort to pop it back out, but i'm worried about putting too much pressure on it and making it worse. I don't plan to use the speaker initially but was planning to use it whenever I get the Arcade1up board and guts to run in the cab. Wondering if the indentation will just come out on it's own whenever I use the speaker again or if I'll need to do some surgery here?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2021, 12:01:50 pm »
I do have a 3d printer but I dont have the design skills. I've done some stuff with Tinkercad and was trying some to design something the other day.
The basic plate design is really easy in OpenSCAD:
- Make a hull using three cubes. (the body of the plate)
- Remove four cylinders or a cylinder and three cubes if you want to use carriage bolts.

If you change your mind, I can easily make a parametric model so you can adjust a few variables to make a custom plate. (no fancy programming skills required)   :cheers:

Scott
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:08:22 pm by PL1 »

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 03:18:36 pm »
Here are some tips to fix your speaker dent.

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2021, 12:09:51 am »
Just wanted to say a big THANKS YOU to everyone who gave me some advice or resources on this restoration! Phase1 complete with Jacks Pacific game running! I'm going to keep my eyes open for an arcade 1up guts and maybe ill get lucky with a the guts from the actual Safari game sometime. Either way it's a fun game just that way it is now so I'm happy I took the time to get it up and running.  CHEERS!!!! and thanks again!!!