Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What's the best way to mount defender joystick in metal control panel?  (Read 1449 times)

Ap1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2021, 08:15:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What's the best way to mount defender joystick in metal control panel? I'm concerned about the height of the joystick and how would I compensate for that?

I have not had any luck searching for this answer.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 06:28:59 pm by Ap1 »

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
Are we talking about an original 2 way or a zippy with a two way restrictor plate?

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
What's the best way to mount defender joystick in metal control panel? I'm concerned about the height of the joystick and how would I compensate for that?

Pack the panel out to a thickness of 21mm to match the Williams Defender panel.
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

Ap1

• Offline Offline
Quote from: Vocalitus
Are we talking about an original 2 way or a zippy with a two way restrictor plate?

No a repro original from Arcadeshop I guess although I was looking at Zippy's and the GGG  Leaf-Pro™ True Leaf-Switch Joystick. Not many other solutions I can find. Thank you Vocalitus

Quote from: jimmer

Pack the panel out to a thickness of 21mm to match the Williams Defender panel.

Ahh so a piece of 3/4 plywood is 18.0086mm here in the states. So I need to find something 3mm thick to stack on top for a proper height. Jimmer is there a template to cut out such a mounting?

Edit: I'm more asking about the hole size in the metal panel itself. What's the best way to cut this out? Is it with a Dremel and cut wheel?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:56:59 pm by Ap1 »

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.

The same joystick was used in Stargate 19mm panel, by putting the washer in a different position, see attached.

18mm ply plus your 2mm? metal panel would be OK with the Defender setup. A bit high is better than a bit low.

Something like 12mm x28mm for the panel hole.
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

Ap1

• Offline Offline
Thank you very much for a great post!