Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Cabinet Modification Posts??  (Read 1727 times)

Denicio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 03:13:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade Cabinet Modification Posts??
« on: March 25, 2021, 04:14:34 pm »
Well, the super friendly folks at KLOV have sent me packing........cough cough....so i am kinda looking for a new home.

Is this a user friendly forum to talk about taking old cabinets and modifying them into Multicades?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:55 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Arcade Cabinet Modification Posts??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 04:33:47 pm »
Well, the super friendly folks at KLOV have sent me packing........cough cough....so i am kinda looking for a new home.

Is this a user friendly forum to talk about taking old cabinets and modifying them into Multicades?
Uh.... not really, bro.

I mean, I know you from KLOV and know who you are (and you’re a good dude), but a lot of us are on both forums or hold similar views.

If you’re planning to take a working cabinet and gutting it to make an LCD Multicade, you’re gonna get the same reception (and rightfully so).

Building from scratch or have a completely empty cabinet? We’re your guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 04:48:52 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
Re: Arcade Cabinet Modification Posts??
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 05:00:24 pm »
Yeah, please don't gut classic arcade cabinets in good condition.

There's plenty of already empty cabinets out there and there's also plans to build cabinets in almost any shape you desire.

Denicio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 05:10:02 pm »

Uh.... not really, bro.

I mean, I know you from KLOV and know who you are (and you’re a good dude), but a lot of us are on both forums or hold similar views.

If you’re planning to take a working cabinet and gutting it to make an LCD Multicade, you’re gonna get the same reception (and rightfully so).

Well dang...... i was told to look elsewhere...and i did...only to find myself in a feedback loop of the same folks, it seems.

Thanks for the heads up.

Denicio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 05:10:58 pm »

There's plenty of already empty cabinets out there and there's also plans to build cabinets in almost any shape you desire.

How does one define 'good condition'? I am not a video game tech so i have no real way of diagnosing them.

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 05:17:48 pm »

Uh.... not really, bro.

Well dang...... i was told to look elsewhere...and i did...only to find myself in a feedback loop of the same folks, it seems.

Thanks for the heads up.
BYOAC has this unfair reputation on KLOV that people here are willing to maim and gut anything to build a multicab. However, many of us love these games and want to do our best to preserve them, especially if they are working cabs.

After all, the site is called Build Your Own Arcade Controls. That mentality is better suited for scratch-build projects (of which there are many here).

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 05:20:15 pm »

How does one define 'good condition'? I am not a video game tech so i have no real way of diagnosing them.

If everything is there but the monitor doesn’t turn on, you can hear sounds but you don’t see anything on the screen, that’s a good candidate for restoring them. You might not be able to do it, but someone else can.

Sure, it’s your cab, and you can do what you want with it, but there wouldn’t be a lot of support for that in collector communities.

Let’s say the cabinet was in good shape with no monitor, PCBs, or side art - then the stuff that we do here comes into play.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:28:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 05:24:43 pm »

Your criteria should probably be "Is it completely empty?" i.e. just the wooden cabinet.  Even then, some rare empty cabs shouldn't be Mame'd.  Building the cabinet itself is not that hard.  There's enough info (and good will) here to help you do it.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 06:31:50 pm »
Is this regarding that Ms Pac you posted on KLOV? I didn't read the thread, so I don't know what you have planned, but if you are not planning on butchering the machine in the process, I doubt you would get much hate around here for putting in a multicade.

Yeah, you'd get suggestions to restore it to original, but we get more upset when someone takes internals and junks them, tosses away hard to find specialty controls, junks working CRTs for a widescreen LCD, chops notches out of the sides into to fit a giant frankenpanel, or defaces original art for some corny montage of video game mascots.

The big question is, are you doing anything that would make restoring the cabinet back to original (if you so chose to do at a later date) much more difficult? If not, you are probably fine around here.  You can generally toss whatever you want into a cabinet without ruining the original hardware.

Dread In The Shed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 09:36:25 am
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 11:34:12 am »
I love this forum... more the fact I love that people aren't afraid to share their real thoughts on how they feel... that is the way it supposed to be if you are really truly trying to help someone

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 12:21:17 pm »
Spose it depends on what your doing with them, I have never built a muticade, but I do cut up complete machines all the time for parts.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:48:30 pm by jennifer »