Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME 229 Spinner / Mouse Z Issue. **RESOLVED**  (Read 2068 times)

oldskoolcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2021, 11:46:36 am
  • I'm a llama!
MAME 229 Spinner / Mouse Z Issue. **RESOLVED**
« on: March 25, 2021, 09:15:52 am »
**EDIT/UPDATE**
Turns out the Mame.ini file I had changed the Multimouse setting in, wasn't the one that MAME was reading from.... DUH!!....
As soon as I pointed it to the right INI file, BOOM, it was all working again!

Thanks everyone for your help!!
OSK

Just recently updated my MAME from .205 to .229 and my Spinner is a no go anymore.   I've changed nothing, and I can get it working in .205 no problem. 

-It's an original Turbo Twist with the OptiWiz 1.0 (set to Z-Axis)
-I've changed my input on DIAL to Mouse Z. (it registers it)

But when I go in game, there's no connection.   I've set Multimouse to 1 in the MAME.ini, I've set DIAL to Mouse input...   When I'm in the menu screen (after I hit TAB in Game), when I spin the spinner, the selection box moves as if it's being detected.

Have I missed a step here, or did MAME rejig the code so that Z-Axis (or MOUSE Z) no longer functions in game?

Any help would be most appreciated!
OSK
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:46:36 am by oldskoolcade »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:38:53 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: MAME 229 Spinner / Mouse Z Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 04:18:17 pm »
Sounds a bit like what Gildahl ran into recently.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164637.0.html

Scott

oldskoolcade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 06:53:14 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on that one!  I had read thru that thread, but it all sounded like they were having issues on the X/Y axis...  For some reason the Z-Axis just doesn't wanna play nice with the DIAL Analog setting in the .229 build of MAME...   Head scratcher for sure!

scenarioL113

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2021, 10:42:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 10:40:58 pm »
Do you have any other software emulation running in the background possibly.  Like Vjoy or x360ce.  I also had some weird issue that had to do with the MAME ini file but I was running MAMEUI and Launchbox/BigBox

oldskoolcade

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Re: MAME 229 Spinner / Mouse Z Issue. RESOLVED!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 11:24:21 am »
**UPDATE**

Well I had a 'Duh!' moment... Turns out that the Mame.ini  I had generated and changed the Multimouse settings to, wasn't the one that MAME was reading...   As soon as I pointed to the proper one, BOOM, my spinner is working again in all it's Tempest/Arkanoid glory...

Thanks for all the help and for pointing out the other threads!

Cheers!
OSK

Nope - everything is as pure as pure can be.

I've gone in and switched the 'DIAL' to Mouse X and Mouse Y (with my trackball) and it plays fine in game.   As soon as I switch it to MOUSE Z (with my spinner), it won't register in game.

I'm going to guess that at some point they stripped using the Z-Axis for in game control?   It still works fine in .205, so I guess I'll go back to that for now until I can figure out if there's a solution :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:45:15 am by oldskoolcade »