Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Games room swivel couch (",)  (Read 6583 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:49:59 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Games room swivel couch (",)
« on: March 24, 2021, 02:28:16 am »

I was showing some friends my games room. I have a 68cm CRT on one wall for everything up to the Dreamcast. On the opposite wall an LCD screen for xbox onwards. since there a lot more "CRT" consoles in my collection, i figured the couch can face in that direction and LCD stuff i would just sit on the floor with my back against the back of the couch. Which works ok.

So I was showing my friends the setup and I said I might modify a couch one day so that it tilts so that the backrest becomes the base therefore ending up facing the other way.  Until my friends wife asked why I don't put the whole couch on some sort of lazy suzan. Of course!

That was months ago. I tend to let ideas mellow for ages. That way they get simpler and simpler. Yesterday I headed to the hardware store with a really simple idea. I just had to buy some castors. At the store I found a little three castored thing for moving objects around and my idea suddenly became even simpler again!

Basically I just removed the centre leg off the couch, reused the coach bolt from the leg and screwed the castors to the couch base with a wooden locating dowel underneath. Then that sits on a few bits of wood with some foam rubber sandwiched in there. The idea being that with no weight on it, the remaining four legs of the couch are pretty much free of the carpet. I can swivel the couch around and when you sit on it, you compress the foam so that all legs are on the carpet again  :)

And waddaya know? It works! Today I fine tuned it by removing the cheap arsed things that pass for glides on the bottom of the legs with proper ones. The originals are a tiny bit of plastic with a nail. One of them fell apart even before I started this project. If the plastic comes off leaving a nail behind I'd hate to see what happens to the carpet! And I'd hate to see what my partner would do to me! The new glides screw on. Got a pack of eight. four for the legs, and the other four I put on the castor base to stop it trying to move around when swivelling the couch. I installed those upside down to give it more of an edge to grip the carpet.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Games room swivel couch (",)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 02:32:05 am »
This is awesome
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 02:50:03 am »
I can see my fat ass breaking that in about 5 minutes.   That being said I have the exact same issue so you've given me something to think about.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 03:01:06 am »
I can see my fat ass breaking that in about 5 minutes.   That being said I have the exact same issue so you've given me something to think about.

Already ahead of you there mate. The only modification of my design is to make the centering dowel longer and the guide hole goes all the way through the first piece of wood. When the foam compresses, the dowel will be resting on the base piece. It will be as solid as if it were just a regular leg  8)

Unless you mean you would break my couch unmodified. In which case, STAY AWAY FROM MY COUCH!

Vocalitus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 10:47:54 am »
My first thought was like on the busses and trams where the back rest moves from back to front, like a deck chair.

I think the swivel idea is far better, and maybe getting a servo connected to Mame Hooker to automatically position you when you fire up arcade classics.

Seriously though you have to do something with that Steel Battalion controller.  Maybe make a cockpit for flight sims?

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 09:04:38 pm »

Seriously though you have to do something with that Steel Battalion controller.  Maybe make a cockpit for flight sims?

Ha. I bet pretty much every person who's ever bought a SB controller had thought they were going to make a cab for it. Including me 😄

And yes, there is a slowly evolving cab design in my brain.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 03:42:05 am by danny_galaga »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:05 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 10:00:46 pm »
I had a pretty cool car seat on a platform with a swinging control panel will steel battalion.

I wish the game had been better.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 03:42:41 am »
I had a pretty cool car seat on a platform with a swinging control panel will steel battalion.

I wish the game had been better.

There is nothing in the world.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 09:44:10 am »
I kind of want one just to sit in a corner and not use.   Kind of like the silverware in Hook.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 11:11:30 pm »

Nice side effect of the swivel couch is that if I'm lying on it and playing a game I can turn it to an angle that takes my fancy. Walking Dead is not exactly a twitchy FPS so I've been enjoying just kicking back to play it (",)