Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Salisbury Beach Twin Tullys  (Read 73098 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
javeryh's Salisbury Beach Twin Tullys
« on: March 23, 2021, 04:05:38 pm »
Now that my last cabinet is 99% finished and I've been playing it daily for over a month it's time to start the next one so I can continue the streak of never actually finishing something 100%.  I absolutely love the form factor of the Tully cabaret so I'm going to build another.... and another!  I have no more room in my house but I still have the itch to build so these are both going to end up as Christmas gifts for my nieces/nephews.  Wife is on board so that's a plus.

Project features:
  • 15" vertical screen (LCD)
  • 4-way joystick
  • 2 action buttons
  • 1P and 2P start buttons
  • Personalized static marquee
  • Woodgrain side panels with black interior
  • Undecided on coin door or just coin buttons
  • Black "leather" t-molding
  • Polycarbonite CPO

I am undecided on the guts.  With Ond's help, I'm going to see if I can get a dedicated MAME set-up working on a Raspberry Pi 4 with a minimal front end.  If this ends up not working I'll probably go with a 60-in-1.  This needs to be almost idiot proof since I'll be 4+ hours away and not able to fix something if someone screws up a setting.  The kids range in age from 5-14 and have not been exposed to arcade games before except when they visit, which has been a while since the whole pandemic.

Another goal is to have each machine come in between $400 and $500 in total cost.  Going to be tight.  I already cut two side panels and should have the other two cut by the end of the week.  I made a pattern out of 1/4" material and that makes quick work of things... which would be even quicker if my blades were sharp.

As you can see in the pic, I'm not breaking the front into two separate panels like last time so this will really look like a Tully when finished.  This is to keep things as easy as possible.  Less interior panels to cut this time.  Going to be kind of weird building two at the same time but should be fun.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 09:43:16 am by javeryh »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: javeryh's Twin Tullys
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 04:08:30 pm »
 :applaud: :cheers:

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 06:48:39 pm »
Dang. 4-500 hundred bucks for a Christmas gift.
What do I have to do to call you uncle Javeryh?

I have gifted bartops I built to 3 different families. They all really love them. All 3 insisted on bartops against my advice. All 3 now wish they would have allowed me to build a cabaret.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 08:22:38 pm »
Cool! Keeping an eye on this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 02:03:14 am
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 08:45:43 pm »
Nice!  Love more Javery build threads.  You gotta at least finish off that bartop though.  The finish is in sight!  :cheers:

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 11:56:34 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 07:24:55 am »
Now that my last cabinet is 99% finished and I've been playing it daily for over a month it's time to start the next one so I can continue the streak of never actually finishing something 100%. 

I believe that it can be proven mathematically that home arcade cabs are never 100% completed. They can *approach* 100% and get very close, the difference can become increasingly small, but they never quite get there. Bit like exceeding the speed of light, just not possible according to Einstein.
Check out my completed projects!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Twin Tullys
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 06:52:46 pm »
Thanks guys.  I’m pretty excited about these.  I cut side panel #3 today and I’ll do #4 tomorrow.  Each one only takes about 45 minutes with the pattern. 

Then it’s off to Home Depot for some 1/2” material for the inside panels and some battons for the inside corners.  Each cabinet only needs 6 interior panels (all 18” wide) so hopefully it will go quickly.  Only piece that needs any real attention is the front panel with the 3 cutouts for the marquee/speakers/coin door.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:44:40 pm by javeryh »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 02:24:13 pm »
The weather has not been cooperating the last week or so.  Yesterday I was finally able to cut out the last side panel and if I can get through Easter dinner quick enough I'm going to route out the t-molding slots.  Now I've started to think about the front panel and what that is going to look like.  Marquee location is obvious but I also want cutouts for a coin door and some speakers. 

So I think my choices are to either offset the coin door and put the speaker cutout next to it or to center the coin door under the marquee and then center a speaker cutout under that.  In both scenarios I envision a rectangular speaker grill covering the speaker cutout like you would see on a Ms. Pac-Man cocktail cab or something.

What do you think?

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 02:33:19 pm »
I'd vote for the vertical stack.  Side by side throws off symmetry too much for me.  Maybe make sure your grill can be high enough so it doesn't turn into a kick plate that may be damaged easily.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 03:03:55 pm »
I'd vote for the vertical stack.  Side by side throws off symmetry too much for me.  Maybe make sure your grill can be high enough so it doesn't turn into a kick plate that may be damaged easily.
I agree

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 10:52:39 am
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 04:23:17 pm »
if I can get through Easter dinner quick enough I'm going to route out the t-molding slots.

haha arcade priorities!

I think I like the stacked version too but don't hate the side-by-side

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 04:41:46 pm »
I think that's the way I'm leaning as well but I kind of like the look of the DK cabaret with the off-center coin door:

Probably can't go wrong either way...

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 08:37:50 pm »
Side by side, disregard the others.

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 09:51:44 pm »
Too add further indecision to the mix, I do have a fondness for the nintendo style audio wood grills.  Although your DK is kinda staggered with the audio port vs the coin door.  Your diagram didn't suggest that kind of audio port though with the big oval shape.  What are you thinking there?  Nintendo style small circle or modern oval speaker grill?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 11:58:47 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 03:39:11 am »
I was thinking stacked until you added that picture to the mix.

Gotta agree with pbj.

Far more of an authentic vibe with side by side.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 06:04:22 am »
Put me in for a symmetrical vertical stack. I don't have an issue with the Donkey Kong, but my thinking is if it's the only arcade in the room, it'll look cleaner if it's symmetrical.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 06:25:05 am »
Side by side.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 07:25:01 am »
Side by side.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Wow that is an awesome looking cabinet.  The colors, the art - everything.  This might be the winner.  I was thinking rectangular speaker grill next to the coin door if I go this route.  So picture this without the bottom coin box door and that’s it.

I guess both L and R speakers would go behind the grill? 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 07:38:49 am »
Whenever you have design questions, look to the original machines.

This one is not completely original, but you get the idea.

Also, the cab is not mine. Just a random pic from Google.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 08:19:50 am »
If i could cut the front panel again on my Tully,Id go for side by side.
 Ive been sat at a stool on mine working on the software and kick the speaker grill all the time.Its only a matter of time before it gets damaged or i have to hunt down a new more robust cover.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 09:08:55 am »
It is the yellow T-molding matching the yellow in the artwork and contrasting with the blues that make it pop.

I vote for side-by-side too FWIW

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2021, 10:15:04 am »
You're the one that has to stare at it so forget what all of us think.  I would personally go with a 3rd option.  Coin door centered with round grill cutouts like that Donkey Kong on both sides of the coin door.  In the world all beautiful people share a common aspect which is "symmetry".

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2021, 02:20:20 pm »
Gil - you're killing me.  Just when I had my mind made up...   :laugh:

I don't think I want to cut out slots like that for Nintendo style speakers.  I'm trying to make these cabs "easy" so I'll be doing something like the Centipede that Mike A posted for the speaker.  Rectangular cutout with a rectangular grill.  Still, that might look pretty good with L and R speakers on either side of the coin door.

One good thing is that I don't have to look at these since I'm giving them away so I might take some liberties with the design for fun.  lomoverde convinced me that I won't be doing speakers on the bottom that's for sure.  I think I'm going with the off-center version.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 04:03:49 pm »
Wow I missed reading these were gifts.  Going to be some nice gifts!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 04:36:51 pm »
OMG getting a dead center t-molding slot is the bane of my existence.  Took me 5 tries to line it up and even still it's probably 0.5mm off center.  I am probably missing something super easy with getting this just right... LOL

I secretly want to keep them but my wife would straight up murder me at this point and she's pretty tolerant about this hobby all things considered.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2021, 05:17:01 pm »
OMG getting a dead center t-molding slot is the bane of my existence.  Took me 5 tries to line it up and even still it's probably 0.5mm off center.  I am probably missing something super easy with getting this just right... LOL

I secretly want to keep them but my wife would straight up murder me at this point and she's pretty tolerant about this hobby all things considered.
Don't let it bother you. I didn't even measure mine. It was center enough

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 05:40:04 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:02:57 am by jennifer »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 05:56:04 pm »
You're the one that has to stare at it so forget what all of us think.  I would personally go with a 3rd option.  Coin door centered with round grill cutouts like that Donkey Kong on both sides of the coin door.  In the world all beautiful people share a common aspect which is "symmetry".

Agreed! And there is no wrong answer here. Both ways would look fine. I still suggest center just because that's how most of the ones I've seen were.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2021, 01:05:20 am »

Agreed! And there is no wrong answer here. Both ways would look fine. I still suggest center just because that's how most of the ones I've seen were.

Love the wood veneer in those cabs.

With the coin door mostly black it doesn't matter much either way. Black is wonderful, magical stuff that hides many imperfections. It isn't quite "out-of-sight" but is mostly "out-of-mind". Ignore all of us and do something completely different.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2021, 09:27:28 am »
Love the wood veneer in those cabs.

Ignore all of us and do something completely different.

I've got something a little different in mind here...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Twin Tullys
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2021, 12:16:04 pm »
I forgot that it rains all the time this time of year.  Not much progress made over the weekend due to weather.  I did spend some time laying out all of the interior pieces and I bought the 1/2" MDF I'll be using for those panels as well as some maple strips for the interior battons.  As soon as I get a sunny day it is off to the races. 

All I've got is 4 side panels with t-molding slots and layout lines...

For these builds, I'm going to try something different (for me).  I bought my first circular saw and I'm going to make a sawboard with a 90 degree lip for the straight cuts instead of using a jigsaw to rough cut and a router +straightedge to clean up the line.  In theory this should save a lot of time since I just have to rip the 18" wide boards to the proper heights and I can be precise with the sawboard. Each cabinet only needs a few interior panels.

I'm also going to use my nail gun and some 1" brads for assembly instead of screwing in the battons.  This way, I'll just be able to glue and nail in minutes instead of predrilling holes and worrying about the depth of the bit and fussing with the screws themselves, etc.  I've never had to disassemble a cabinet in my life so I think it will be fine.

Another thing I'm debating is whether to assemble the cabinets and then paint or paint and then assemble.  If I paint first, I will get a much more even coat with no brushstrokes at all since I can roll every panel right to the edge.  But this makes assembly a pain because I lose all of the layout lines.  Probably worth the extra hassle to get a better finish.

I suppose I could fire up Inkscape and try making the CP art to kill some time...

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2021, 12:59:06 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:03:24 am by jennifer »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2021, 01:09:11 pm »
You may want to check your work after that skill saw cut, Even though it says 90deg, the plates on those are generally quite flimsy, and bend easily under stress... It took me awhile to figger that out, but what happens it the cut winds up not being truly square.

If I rip the sawboard edge with my circular saw it shouldn't matter how "off" it is from the fence because I'll be lining up the newly cut edge 90 degrees to the workpiece.  Or am I not thinking about this correctly?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2021, 01:25:54 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:03:48 am by jennifer »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2021, 02:04:47 pm »
Guess I am a little confused...What Jenn is saying if you look at the back of your saw, (where the power cord is), and look at the square of the blade to that plate it is probably not a nice 90deg like the gauge says, in fact if you grab that plate and flex it it will most likely even bend...Skill saws are awesome tools for ripping large sheets into manageable pieces and close cuts, but not so much for precision, But your router is and is fully capable of a nice square edge, as you probably already know.

Oh... so you are saying the blade might not be 90 degrees to the surface (not straight up and down)?  Whereas the router bits are definitely 90 degrees.  Hmmm... I didn't even think of that.  I bought a deWalt saw so hopefully it's at least OK out of the box.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2021, 03:12:14 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:04:10 am by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2021, 03:20:11 pm »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:04:26 am by jennifer »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2021, 09:01:42 pm »
Guess I am a little confused...What Jenn is saying if you look at the back of your saw, (where the power cord is), and look at the square of the blade to that plate it is probably not a nice 90deg like the gauge says, in fact if you grab that plate and flex it it will most likely even bend...Skill saws are awesome tools for ripping large sheets into manageable pieces and close cuts, but not so much for precision, But your router is and is fully capable of a nice square edge, as you probably already know.

Oh... so you are saying the blade might not be 90 degrees to the surface (not straight up and down)?  Whereas the router bits are definitely 90 degrees.  Hmmm... I didn't even think of that.  I bought a deWalt saw so hopefully it's at least OK out of the box.

Depends on what level of precision you want really (and maybe more importantly your familiarity with your tools.)
I have a pretty decent wormdrive saw that makes very square cuts but the base plate is cast/machined- not stamped.
I get better cuts with that than with the extra step of a router pass myself.

I still check blade angle now and again with a square on all my saws just to get them as close to perfect as possible and that is typically good enough for many projects.

If you are gluing/clamping/nailing/screwing panels together and they will get t-molding, paint, vinyl laminate, etc. anyway then I don't imagine most people will notice anything less than 2-3 degrees out of square.

If doing fine cabinet work with stock that will only get stain for a finish and has drawers and doors...
Then the router method is worth it for sure.

Or as a great alternative to both- a plunge/track saw setup.
A buddy of mine does a lot of nice cabinet building and now that is all he uses anymore really.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2021, 09:48:08 pm »
It's a ---smurfing--- box with a tv in it.
Even a ---smurfy--- circular saw will make squared cuts as long as you set the base plate correctly to begin with.
We are building arcade cabs not Mars rovers...well except for Laythe. He kind of is building a NASA project. That metal working requires an extra level of precision, skills, and tools.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2021, 09:50:27 pm »
It's a ---smurfing--- box with a tv in it.
Even a ---smurfy--- circular saw will make squared cuts as long as you set the base plate correctly to begin with.
We are building arcade cabs not Mars rovers...well except for Laythe. He kind of is building a NASA project. That metal working requires an extra level of precision, skills, and tools.

Precisely...

Get it?!

Precisely?!
 :lol