Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's Salisbury Beach Twin Tullys  (Read 75125 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:15:11 am
Re: javeryh's Twin Tullys
« Reply #240 on: December 02, 2021, 10:49:13 am »
You get that deeper monitor well effect, it disguises imperfections and the screen brightness can be tweaked to compensate. It might help cut a bit of glare from household lights (I always turn off a couple behind me when playing my cab inside the house).

Yes - this is exactly on point.  The best part about these cabs is that if I end up not liking something I don't have to deal with it!  I don't think my intended audience will notice or care about details like this.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Twin Tullys
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2021, 04:43:52 pm »
Just waiting on the glass and still figuring out the art but I have a few small things I can do in the meantime. 

I had to permanently attach the monitor and cut the matte board bezel- both were a pain in the ass to get perfect.

Here’s pretty much how it will look when finished.  The monitor is awesome - it’s big for the cabinet but works really well. 

Glass is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I’ll pop that in when it arrives.  I just have to trim the back doors to final length and install them with a cam lock which I’ve also been putting off.

By the time I get the art sorted and printed it’s going to be a mad scramble before Christmas to finish - I think I'll make it though.  Really excited how it's coming out.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 05:54:46 pm by javeryh »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #242 on: December 10, 2021, 09:55:59 pm »
Looks to me like you'll make it!

Sharp lookin work.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Twin Tullys
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2021, 12:49:55 pm »
Looks to me like you'll make it!

Sharp lookin work.
Thanks - I hope so!  Mad dash to the finish…

I made some 1” deep boxes out of cardboard, tape and tin foil to go behind the marquee.  The foil should reflect the light sort of evenly so the marquee looks evenly lit.  I guess I’ll find out when I get there…

I butchered my new TV box for the cardboard.  LG C1 77” - it’s sick.  Need to wall mount it but this comes first.

The box is actually held in place by just wedging it between the side panels.  I don’t think I’ll need to secure it beyond this but maybe I’ll add some tape on the inside just in case. 

I have a USB LED strip that I’ll secure to the back of the box for the lights.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2021, 03:34:52 pm »
Javeryh, as always I love your work and your ideas.

Try using plain white instead to reflect the light in your marquee. It will diffuse light better than it will with foil, meaning you'll get a more even brightness and colour. Foil will reflect point light sources right back at you, especially when in a box (google right-angle reflectors, the simple technology idea they use to make road signs and reflectors so effective).
Check out my completed projects!

vertexguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2021, 03:35:51 pm »
Looking good.  Keep going!  If the tin foil doesn't reflect enough try a quick coat of a white paint over the foil.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2021, 04:29:46 pm »
Looking good.  Keep going!  If the tin foil doesn't reflect enough try a quick coat of a white paint over the foil.

Take the foil off altogether and paint the inside of the box with a left-over pot of plain white. Foil will reflect a lot of infrared (heat) and other background radiation (e.g. microwaves) as well, even if you paint over it. I don't want to sound alarmist, but you probably don't want that. Even LEDs generate heat. Might want to drill a few holes at the top to let it out.

White paint will reflect, but diffuse, mostly just visible light (and some IR too, but less than foil). You can even use off-white tints to emphasis moods/themes (for example, yellow/creme for warmer feel, sky blue/magenta for a more tech, cool feel) or just to emphasise the colours in your marquee art.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2021, 04:30:57 pm »
Javeryh, as always I love your work and your ideas.

Try using plain white instead to reflect the light in your marquee. It will diffuse light better than it will with foil, meaning you'll get a more even brightness and colour. Foil will reflect point light sources right back at you, especially when in a box (google right-angle reflectors, the simple technology idea they use to make road signs and reflectors so effective).

You are always a wealth of information and this is really interesting. I hadn't even considered foil being not the best solution.  I am using it in one of my other cabs and it works OK but I've never tried white so I have nothing to compare it to.  As long as I can't see the LED strip through the marquee I'm happy but the better the diffusion the better it will look.  If I get it all set up and it doesn't look right I'll line those boxes with some white paper and see how it looks. 

Christmas is coming up way too fast and I seem to have a ton of little tasks left that in my head will take 20 minutes but in reality take all afternoon.  I'd be embarrassed to admit how long I worked on the two cardboard boxes!  :cheers:

Thanks!  The foil is super easy to remove if it doesn't work.  It is held down with some packing tape and only a small strip on each side.  I should be able to easily remove it if I want.  Hopefully not though - I no longer have the time to make everything perfect (which is a good thing for me).   :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:06:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2021, 04:51:33 pm »
Foil will reflect a lot of infrared (heat) and other background radiation (e.g. microwaves) as well, even if you paint over it.

Don't you watch Marvel Movies? Only good things happen when you are exposed to radiation.

You need to get something that generates gamma rays.

You could have Hulk balls.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2021, 05:03:46 pm »
Foil will reflect a lot of infrared (heat) and other background radiation (e.g. microwaves) as well, even if you paint over it.

Don't you watch Marvel Movies? Only good things happen when you are exposed to radiation.

You need to get something that generates gamma rays.

You could have Hulk balls.

:lol

Actually, gamma radiation penetrates almost anything, even tin foil. So all those crazies with their special hats are doomed, just like the rest of us.

To detect gamma rays (e.g. from cosmic background radiation) they built these huge tanks of some special water deep underground, and they get all excited if they detect just a single gamma ray. As many tons of earth and rock eventually absorb pretty much everything else, all that is left is the gamma.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Twin Tullys
« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2021, 07:07:54 pm »
Got the bezels and monitor glass installed today as well as the back doors (mostly).  The glass was about 1/8" too narrow (my fault) but whatever - I am done worrying about stupid details no one will notice. 

Last remaining items:

- Install marquee when it arrives
- Install CPO when it arrives
- Drill button holes and wire panels
- Final software configuration

Really coming down to the wire.  While I'm waiting on the art to be delivered I will do the final software configuration.  It's done but I stupidly set everything up on a 128GB microSD card that is only using about 10GB total.  I bought 32GB cards for the final cabs but need to either figure out how to shrink the image or start over with the smaller cards.  The idea is to make 4 copies so that if something goes wrong while I'm not there, they can pop out the microSD card and replace it with an identical one.   :cheers:

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #251 on: December 12, 2021, 10:03:08 pm »
To keep you moving along,, If you trust your cp graphic alignment you could probably drill the cp and wire everything up before you have the print.  If you have quick disconnects then you can quickly take the controls out when the graphics arrive.  You could also test play with the controls to make sure all is well.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:05:40 pm by vertexguy »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2021, 06:07:27 am »
To keep you moving along,, If you trust your cp graphic alignment you could probably drill the cp and wire everything up before you have the print.  If you have quick disconnects then you can quickly take the controls out when the graphics arrive.  You could also test play with the controls to make sure all is well.
I wish I could but I’m not that good.  I need to use the “+” in the middle of the buttons on the CPO in order to drill out the holes accurately.  The art has rings around the buttons so I need to be precise and I don’t know of any other way to do it.  Honestly though it’s not that bad - 6 holes TOTAL on the CP and that includes the joystick and admin buttons.  So it shouldn’t take long once I get the art applied. 

I bought some zero delay encoders (first time) and they came with quick disconnects ready to go so wiring should be a breeze.  No crimping or soldering.  Hardest part will be lining up the cocktail clips.  In my head this should all take 20 minutes but more likely I’m looking at 2 hours per panel.  Hopefully it will be the last thing I have to do…

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #253 on: December 13, 2021, 09:42:27 am »
The artwork has been ordered.  Here's what I ended up with:

This won't mean much to anyone other than me but we have a little cottage in Salisbury Beach, MA that has been in the family for a long time.  We pick a week in the summer every year and stay with family (brother/sister-in-laws, nieces and nephews) and we have been doing it for almost 20 years.  The cottage is pictured in the marquee - it's tiny but it's on the water so you can't beat it.

Anyway, I wanted to personalize these cabinets and it couldn't have come out any better.  The goal was to make it look like it could have been designed in the 70s/80s since the cabinet style is based on designs from around the same time.  Fingers crossed that the art arrives this week!   :cheers:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
Re: javeryh's Salisbury Beach Twin Tullys
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2021, 12:15:33 pm »
Extra fun!

But man is that beach freakin cold.

Nice job on the artwork.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2021, 04:13:42 pm »
I absolutely love it <3

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: December 14, 2021, 09:14:08 am »
Extra fun!

But man is that beach freakin cold.

Nice job on the artwork.

Thanks!  I barely go in past my knees even after all these years.  The kids don't mind the temperature at all but it's cold to me as well since I grew up south of there.  In August at night you sometimes need blankets!

I absolutely love it <3

Thanks - let's just hope the art arrives in time...

Today I'm going to dedicate to software configuration and getting everything condensed onto a 32GB microSD card so I can make 3 copies once everything is perfect.  Game list is done so once I set up MAME and Attract Mode it should be pretty easy.  I do want to disable all button assignments except the ones I specifically choose.  No defaults, hotkeys, etc.

Getting close!!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
javeryh's Salisbury Beach Twin Tullys
« Reply #257 on: December 14, 2021, 07:19:34 pm »
Alright… I spent the better part of the day working on the software configuration and I think I need to make some hard decisions. There are 11 games in my list that have a nag screen and I think I should remove them.  It’s just not a clean look.

Astro Invader
Carnival
Cat and Mouse
Gorf
Lunar Rescue
Mappy
Monster Bash
Pac & Pal
Pleiades
Super Pac-Man
Tower of Druaga

This isn’t the end of the world but I do really wish I could include Mappy, Pac & Pal and Super Pac-Man.  Given the intended audience, I do not think any of these games will be missed - they likely have no idea these games even exist.  But I really wish there was a way to disable the “known issues” screen. 

I know there are no nag versions of MAME out there but I’m using bbegin’s MAME application on the pi4 so I’m limited with what I can do.

zeorangr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 08:15:06 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165836.0.html
« Reply #258 on: December 14, 2021, 11:58:10 pm »
You might be able to set up a little autohotkey (or similar) script to quickly enter the needed inputs (left and right, I think) to dismiss the nag screen when you launch the rom, if the pi version of what you're running will let you launch a script when you select a game.

If you need help with writing something like that, I'd be glad to try, just let me know.

(edit - Realized after initially posting that AHK is a windows thing, and probably doesn't exist on the pi, but there may still be some kind of comparable method for scripting.  Offer stands, if something comparable is available)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 12:00:32 am by zeorangr »
-z-

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2021, 02:54:31 am »
Alright… I spent the better part of the day working on the software configuration and I think I need to make some hard decisions. There are 11 games in my list that have a nag screen and I think I should remove them.  It’s just not a clean look.

Astro Invader
Carnival
Cat and Mouse
Gorf
Lunar Rescue
Mappy
Monster Bash
Pac & Pal
Pleiades
Super Pac-Man
Tower of Druaga

This isn’t the end of the world but I do really wish I could include Mappy, Pac & Pal and Super Pac-Man.  Given the intended audience, I do not think any of these games will be missed - they likely have no idea these games even exist.  But I really wish there was a way to disable the “known issues” screen. 

I know there are no nag versions of MAME out there but I’m using bbegin’s MAME application on the pi4 so I’m limited with what I can do.

I agree on wanting to keep some of those but...

1. Intended crew almost certainly won't notice they are "missing."
2. If for some reason those games (or any?!) become an issue you can always update those cards when you have an opportunity and educate them about what is going on.  Once they are more familiar with the machine it would make more sense anyway.
3.  Tempus fugit.
 :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2021, 09:02:51 am »
Keep the games.

Don't worry about the nag screens.

It takes one second out of their day to move past them and then play a cool game.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2021, 11:31:49 am »
Keep the games.

Don't worry about the nag screens.

It takes one second out of their day to move past them and then play a cool game.

I agree... although I am really really really trying to hide any hint of an OS inside.  Right now, you press power button and in about 25 seconds the screen goes from black (off) to the front end.  Nothing loads in between.  Same thing when you shut it off or switch games, etc.  Everything under the hood is hidden.  If I knew how to compile on the raspberry pi, I'd just make my own no nag version of MAME.  Next time...

I have deleted these games or now and I'm going to see if I miss them over the next week.  I'm also considering getting rid of some other games - the list is at 53 right now.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2021, 12:10:35 pm »
As far as I can tell, compiling MAME for Pi is not really any different to compiling for linux.

So yeah, deliver the cabs then follow Bobby's strategy - take your time to work out the compiling, and update with a new SD card later.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2021, 04:58:28 pm »
I agree... although I am really really really trying to hide any hint of an OS

I always read about people going through all kinds of trouble to do this. It just seems like a useless waste of time to me.
The bootup sequence makes it look like a cool relic from the 80's or 90's.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2021, 06:24:00 pm »
Estimated delivery for the art…. Tuesday!

This is going to be close.  I have Wednesday to install both marquees, both CPOs and wire everything up.  Going to be a long day… Thursday is family through Christmas so no time.

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #265 on: December 18, 2021, 02:35:05 am »
You got this.   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #266 on: December 18, 2021, 12:00:11 pm »
Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #267 on: December 19, 2021, 10:29:10 am »
You got this.   :cheers:

I hope so!  As long as the delivery doesn't get delayed I should be OK.  I may also only need to actually finish one of them since I don't think I can fit both in my car to deliver them.  So the most likely scenario is I'll bring one and tell them both there is an identical one at my house that I'll bring up on the next visit.  Or maybe they will come down and grab it depending on how well the gifts are received.

Looking good!

Thanks!  Spent yesterday and today putting a couple extra coats of paint on the rear doors which got scratched to hell when I drilled the holes for the locks and did the final sizing so they would actually fit. 

Really just waiting on the art now... 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2021, 03:38:04 pm »
Well... pressure is off.  The artwork arrived this afternoon and I was disappointed to find that for some unknown reason the marquee is WAY too big.  I printed out the file again just to make sure it wasn't my fault and the black and white printed out the perfect size.  Looking at the lettering and the house on the print, everything seems stretched out (vertically).  I'm not sure what went wrong - I don't know the first thing about printing.  I sent a PDF that prints to the right size for me but maybe the file gets converted into something else before printing?  Oh well, I tried.

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2021, 06:10:17 pm »
Hmm... what place did you print it at?  It's sounding like it was a problem on their end unless they asked you details on the file and you told them wrong?  If its on them they should fix it free..  Having something print way bigger than intended sounds like they took your 300 dpi (dots per inch)  file and printed it at 72 for example.  However if there is stretching, that's another issue.  Are you sure your print dimensions work for the sheet size they are putting it on?

I guess you could take a picture of where it's at and present that at Christmas, or just tell them your gift is arriving late thanks to the supply chain issues if you wanna keep it a surprise.   :dunno.  Sorry about your luck with the prints.   ???

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2021, 08:30:28 pm »
Hopefully it will work out with the printer.  I’ve gone over it a bunch and I don’t see how it could possibly be something on my end but I suppose it’s possible.  Print scaling is set to 100% and the artist sent me the file to print at the exact size I wanted so it seems unlikely we are both wrong here.

I’m just not going to say anything at Christmas.  I might hold off until Christmas 2022.  Won’t see them again until beach week in the summer anyway.  I’m bummed but what can you do?

I haven’t even opened the CPO after seeing the marquee.  Assuming there’s nothing wrong there I’ll still try and get them done soon - might be fun to have 2 extra playable cabs in the basement…

By the way, people that build these for a living are effing crazy.  The deadline is miserable and you can see the million things that can go wrong.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 06:52:39 am by javeryh »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2021, 11:31:46 pm »
Sorry to hear about your printing mishap.

You would've made it!

I can't imagine building these for a living unless you earned twice the $$ I imagine people do.

And didn't have a deadline either!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #272 on: December 22, 2021, 08:05:57 pm »
That sucks, man! Sorry to hear about the print. GoG needs to make this right.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2021, 07:23:26 am »
Really sorry to hear about this. You did everything in your power to make it happen.

Take care and happy holidays  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2021, 01:37:56 pm »
Thanks guys - it's fine.  This week I'm dealing with potential covid so Christmas might be canceled anyway.  Wasn't meant to be this year.   :cheers:

Here's what I'm trying to convey regarding the marquee. 

My test print is the black and white, obviously.  It fits perfectly in the opening.  The print that was sent to me is too large all the way around as you can see in the pictures.  If you look carefully, the lettering is covered on the top and bottom, the second bird in the sky isn’t visible and if you look at the house on the right, the pitch of the roof is not how it should be and it is way too close to the right edge.  All of the letters also appear to be taller than they should be.  It looks like the whole image got enlarged by maybe 10% and then also stretched vertically for some reason?

The quality is amazing though - it looks sick when backlit.  I just hope I can get this sorted out. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 02:30:11 pm by javeryh »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2021, 03:33:25 pm »
Yeah, even the house looks skinnier.
The print looks great though. Everything looks sharp and the colors are vibrant. The orange and blues really pop!

Got a picture of the CPO? Did you go with the polycarbonate laminate? I’m curious how that looks.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2021, 03:40:54 pm »
What size is the image and the paper they are using to print it ? - Looks like they must have had the printer set to autofill the paper with the image to maximize the usage of the paper width instead of printing to actual pixel size - If resending might try adding white space aound the image to make the file match the width of the paper they are using so that the printer thinks it is the same width as the paper so it doesn't scale it up to fit. ( or tell them to make sure it prints to actual size and not use the Fit to page setting in the printer - https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/cx66__/cx66__rf/vari_4.htm

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2021, 04:37:30 pm »
Yeah, even the house looks skinnier.
The print looks great though. Everything looks sharp and the colors are vibrant. The orange and blues really pop!

Got a picture of the CPO? Did you go with the polycarbonate laminate? I’m curious how that looks.

The print looks WAY better in person too.  It's really nice but unfortunately the wrong size.  Here's the CPO:

Very vibrant as well and a perfect match to the marquee.  Very pleased with the artist.

What size is the image and the paper they are using to print it ? - Looks like they must have had the printer set to autofill the paper with the image to maximize the usage of the paper width instead of printing to actual pixel size - If resending might try adding white space aound the image to make the file match the width of the paper they are using so that the printer thinks it is the same width as the paper so it doesn't scale it up to fit. ( or tell them to make sure it prints to actual size and not use the Fit to page setting in the printer - https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/cx66__/cx66__rf/vari_4.htm )

It's not printed on paper - I don't know what it is but I bet you are right that a printer setting was messed up.  Maybe the print before me had special settings?  Only other thing I can think of is that they used the LxH I gave when ordering. You have to put in the dimensions for custom prints because the bigger it is the more it costs, obviously.  I overestimated by a few inches because last thing I wanted was to pay and then they go to print and I didn't pay enough because the size was off.  But it makes no sense to not use the file given at 100% and I've also ordered from them many times in the past without this being an issue.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2021, 07:48:47 pm »
That's too bad about your art troubles. I like the look you are going for.  :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #279 on: December 28, 2021, 03:59:53 pm »
New marquees are on the way.  I confirmed that they printed the files at the size I specified on the order page and not at 100% based on the file I sent.  Seems counterintuitive to me and it is not clearly described anywhere on the order page but probably partly my fault for not confirming this first.  Looks like I lucked out with the CPO because the size I specified is the actual size of the print.  So hopefully everything arrives in the next week or so and I can finish by end of January at the latest.  I'm going to sit on them for a long time though since I won't see my nieces and nephews until the summer at least.