Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Slim Gauntlet Cabinet  (Read 6971 times)

Pazza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 11:20:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Slim Gauntlet Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2021, 04:18:05 pm »
For the number of buttons P1 & P2 6 buttons each but do I need P3 & P4 to have 4 buttons each or would 2 work ?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2021, 04:45:22 pm »
For the number of buttons P1 & P2 6 buttons each but do I need P3 & P4 to have 4 buttons each or would 2 work ?
I think two are fine, unless you’re planning to play some obscure Dungeons & Dragons games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Pazza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 11:20:04 am
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2021, 08:30:39 am »
Im thinking of leaving the trackball off as not sure how much Ill use that. If Im using a 32inch screen and the width of the screen is 29" is a 31" cabinet width ok ?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2021, 09:40:35 am »
Measure your doorways that you'll use to move it into the house or wherever its going.  Either the width or the depth needs to fit through there.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2021, 09:51:07 am »
Im thinking of leaving the trackball off as not sure how much Ill use that. If Im using a 32inch screen and the width of the screen is 29" is a 31" cabinet width ok ?

This seems kind of big to me but maybe you are building a widescreen cabinet?  Have you given any thought to mounting it vertically and designating a 4:3 and 3:4 viewable area to maximize screen size for both types of games?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2021, 09:56:31 am »
That is what I recommended earlier.

A vertically mounted display would allow for a better proportioned cab.

Dread In The Shed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 09:36:25 am
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2021, 10:24:50 am »
Measure your doorways that you'll use to move it into the house or wherever its going.  Either the width or the depth needs to fit through there.

That is the best advice I did a large cabinet for a client recently they wanted a 32in monitor inside their cab I told him to check and make sure that it will fit through their door but also down the stairs as they were bringing it into the basement.. long story short I watched her and her next door neighbour punch some serious holes into the wall attempting to bring it down.. no I didn't help them sorry no entering the basement during covid deliveries   >:D

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2021, 01:16:03 pm »
Pazza, I would recommend you check out some of the other 4 player build threads to get a lot of good ideas, advice, and lessons learned that will help you decide what's the best solution for YOU.  Everyone has opinions and will offer thoughts, but remember its ultimately your build and what makes you happy and fits your needs.

If you think your 4 player cabinet is worth having even if you only play with 4 people twice a year, then go for it.  But the point is, think about the games you enjoy and realistic number of players that will use it on average to decide if it's worth it for you.  You definitely could make player 3 and 4 be modular additions or use game pads for rare occasional play.

As far as number of buttons, again very game dependent and how future proof you want it.   I would go with 4 to cover everything out there so far.  If you anticipate bringing on new PC games from steam (ie they have a new Ninja Turtles coming out) then you might regret only having 2 buttons on the outer players later on.  Hard to say but most 4 player games tend to use between 2 and 4 buttons.

As far as size, there are ways to help get it around.  For example, the 4 player build I'm currently doing uses threaded inserts so it can be completely disassembled and reassembled to fit through any area needed.  You could theoretically have any size you want that way as long as it fits in your final resting place and you don't mind assembly.  Sure beats trying to lug around a 300+ lb monster.  Regarding the screen orientation, if you're mostly sticking to classics, I agree with Mike that a vertical orientation solution is a pretty cool trick to keep the over all screen size closer to the correct aspect ratios for the games, but still have a decent sized screen.  I almost went that route and am hoping I don't regret my choice later.  One plus to using a wide screen is you can have digital bezel graphics displayed if desired.  Vertical may help make the 4 player design slightly thinner on the main cab but only from the cab perspective.  You still need proper spacing of the players which will make your CP big no matter what.  If your players are all crammed up and hitting each other as they interact with the controls, you probably won't have many enjoyable 4 player sessions.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:22:55 pm by vertexguy »

zestyphresh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 11:29:53 am
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2021, 05:51:02 am »
The problem with those super slim designs is they don't look like an arcade cabinet. Especially when they are stretched out to 3 feet wide.

Agree with this, and that's as someone who built a slimline cabinet. When sketching out designs I found, to my eyes at least, that the narrow plinth was the main problem. If you take that away it then it does seem to help with the visual 'heft' of the machine, assuming it's still a reasonable size of course. Keeping a good sized (or even oversized) marquee/speaker panel seems to help, as does a standard depth control panel. I've got a thread on here (Prong) but you can see a load of my sketches at the bottom of this link - https://imgur.com/gallery/1liQLz8

The MvSC2 and Mimic projects (both on here) were a massive inspiration, especially if you also want to check out the vertical screen, which has already been mentioned in this thread.