Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Welcome to the MiSTer FPGA LOVE Fest ;)  (Read 66161 times)

Zeosstud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:12:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Welcome to the MiSTer FPGA LOVE Fest ;)
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2021, 06:20:03 pm »

The guy in that video has a warehouse full of stuff.. Find him and I bet you could get something.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2021, 06:48:39 pm »
This is really neat, A PAL TV with Scart in the US, you would need a transformer to use it but it would be awesome for cores like Amiga where half of the games are PAL.
https://tucson.craigslist.org/zip/d/tucson-panasonic-20-inch-uk-tv/7290952926.html

Also, I would email or text this person and ask for the model number, tell them it's located on the back.
https://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/d/tucson-sony-tv-trinitron/7295355904.html

You're not going to find an ad I haven't seen already around here.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:12 am
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2021, 10:38:45 pm »
And it's too bad the things are so stupid to ship Gilrock, or I would send you a TV.
Are there no curbside/dumpster/craigslist tubes in your neighborhood any longer?

I don't know where Gilrock is but around the NYC area they are tough to come by.  We have a recycling place in town but you aren't allowed to take - I've been yelled at plenty of times rummaging through the shipping container where they put everything and even then I almost never see tubes (the screens are mostly old LCD TVs). Maybe I'm just not getting lucky though

There's a bunch of $50 arcade monitors here:
https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/vgm/d/stamford-arcade-game-monitors/7295537871.html

And a TV with component inputs here:
https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/ele/d/tarrytown-philips-crt-tv-sony/7290344787.html

The search terms I use are "crt tv" "crt monitor" "not a flat screen" "trinitron" "tube tv" "arcade monitor"

Component TV + GreenAntz RGB/VGA to component transcoder (still only US$60 including shipping to USA) and you're in business.

If you find a composite input TV and it can't be RGB modded, good chance you can easily component-mod it. Component modding is often easier as it can use direct inputs to the jungle chip, rather than having to go in via OSD.

There are four of these 20" TVs I know how to component mod, which are available "new" in box for about US$65. They are locally assembled in Thailand and have new electronics "China TV" chassis + recycled tubes. Wondering if it is worth buying them up and doing a production run of 20" arcade cabs. That'd make the build thread more interesting. I love the 20" size tubes for cabs.

On the other hand, last week I found 2 local 20" TVs, one Sanyo with component inputs already and a TCL with composite. I haven't had a look inside the TCL yet, but hopeful that can be component modded too. TCL might have vertical deflection issues as image looked a bit squished (should be able to fix that, fingers crossed X). Paid about US$25 in local monopoly money for both.

There are still a lot of CRTs floating around in Thailand, to be expected as they are still being used more than in highly developed economies. Greater economic stratification too - richer people getting rid of old stuff, but poorer people still using it. Anyway, good to have TVs easily available because finding arcade monitors in Thailand is quite hard.
Check out my completed projects!

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2021, 07:17:31 am »
If you get the IO board for MiSTer you can output component video directly from the DB15 connector. Most of the cores also support what's called "Direct Video" which allows you to use a HDMI to component converter. Supposedly you have to add a diode and resistor to the converter for YPbPr output. There are a couple of links below about it for anyone interested.

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=37304&sid=925d52df79d250f07cb47ac7035f7b63

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2021, 08:08:06 am »
If you get the IO board for MiSTer you can output component video directly from the DB15 connector. Most of the cores also support what's called "Direct Video" which allows you to use a HDMI to component converter. Supposedly you have to add a diode and resistor to the converter for YPbPr output. There are a couple of links below about it for anyone interested.

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=37304&sid=925d52df79d250f07cb47ac7035f7b63

I've heard reports that the MiSTer YPbPr output does not do PAL modes. Hopefully I can test that myself soon. As you would likely expect me to say, reports are that GreenAntz YPbPr output generally looks better and GreenAntz does all PAL/NTSC etc. any modes that your SDTV supports with almost zero lag (no "digital processing").

I would do the "sync on green" mod differently. That method will lose colour depth and brightness but it will probably work OK, many people won't notice :P

You can use a HDMI-VGA adapter with GreenAntz too, it supports both HV and Csync inputs. No need for modding your MiSTer with diodes and resistors, it will work directly with the VGA output.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2021, 09:43:18 am »
And it's too bad the things are so stupid to ship Gilrock, or I would send you a TV.
Are there no curbside/dumpster/craigslist tubes in your neighborhood any longer?

I don't know where Gilrock is but around the NYC area they are tough to come by.  We have a recycling place in town but you aren't allowed to take - I've been yelled at plenty of times rummaging through the shipping container where they put everything and even then I almost never see tubes (the screens are mostly old LCD TVs). Maybe I'm just not getting lucky though

There's a bunch of $50 arcade monitors here:
https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/vgm/d/stamford-arcade-game-monitors/7295537871.html

And a TV with component inputs here:
https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/ele/d/tarrytown-philips-crt-tv-sony/7290344787.html

The search terms I use are "crt tv" "crt monitor" "not a flat screen" "trinitron" "tube tv" "arcade monitor"

I won't use craigslist any more.  Too many people don't show or cancel last minute or whatever else.  I also wouldn't be surprised if I contacted those sellers they would tell me the stuff isn't available any more.  You have to get really lucky to feel good about a craigslist transaction.  eBay is one thing since they ship to your house but I've got better things to do than deal with people on craigslist. 

TacoTownCharlie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:05:11 pm
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2021, 10:01:29 pm »
This is really neat, A PAL TV with Scart in the US, you would need a transformer to use it but it would be awesome for cores like Amiga where half of the games are PAL.
https://tucson.craigslist.org/zip/d/tucson-panasonic-20-inch-uk-tv/7290952926.html

Also, I would email or text this person and ask for the model number, tell them it's located on the back.
https://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/d/tucson-sony-tv-trinitron/7295355904.html

You're not going to find an ad I haven't seen already around here.

I'm not sure this will fit in the Trans Am but I have other cars I can use to pick this up.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/zip/d/phoenix-free-tv/7298687636.html

Not sure about this one:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/zip/d/chandler-free-tv-entertainment-center/7298388010.html

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2021, 08:44:11 am »
I'm not sure this will fit in the Trans Am but I have other cars I can use to pick this up.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/zip/d/phoenix-free-tv/7298687636.html

Not sure about this one:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/zip/d/chandler-free-tv-entertainment-center/7298388010.html

Thanks for offering to help TTC you're the best.  I already have a 20" CRT TV I bought a while back that I couldn't figure out how to mod.  Those TVs look a little too big.  I had thought about buying one of those 27" Tri-Sync CRTs I see for sale but Mike A said that was too big and that flat screen CRTs are terrible. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2021, 10:57:37 am »
I have a 32 inch Trinitron flat screen CRT that I got for 20 bucks from someone local on Craigslist. It weighs 165 pounds, but it accepts Component and S-video and has a glorious picture. I have light gun games running from the NES (Zapper), Genesis (light Phaser and Justifier), PS1 (Guncon 1), and PS2 (Guncon 2). I've even put the Raspberry pi on there through composite. I'm debating getting a GreenAntz VGA to Component transcoder from Zebidee to further increase my options.

Maybe some flat-screen CRT's are terrible, but that isn't my experience.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2021, 12:27:45 pm »
I have a 32 inch Trinitron flat screen CRT that I got for 20 bucks from someone local on Craigslist. It weighs 165 pounds, but it accepts Component and S-video and has a glorious picture. I have light gun games running from the NES (Zapper), Genesis (light Phaser and Justifier), PS1 (Guncon 1), and PS2 (Guncon 2). I've even put the Raspberry pi on there through composite. I'm debating getting a GreenAntz VGA to Component transcoder from Zebidee to further increase my options.

Flat screens aren't terrible, mostly it comes down to people worrying about convergence at the corners being wonky. Screen isn't curved, but not a big deal when compared to using an LCD.

I'm just now finishing a new batch of GreenAntz. We've made another design upgrade, this time adding a simple slide-switch to swap between H+V and composite sync input modes. Simpler, prettier, tidier, no bits to misplace.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2021, 01:17:23 pm »
Can someone find me a CRT that will rub my shoulders and hold me at night?  I'd check Craig's List but I had a weird experience once 20 years ago and it's too many mouse clicks to look myself.

If it's not absolutely perfect, $0, and delivered precisely when I want it it's not good enough.

:cheers:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2021, 01:59:31 pm »
Can someone find me a CRT that will rub my shoulders and hold me at night?  I'd check Craig's List but I had a weird experience once 20 years ago and it's too many mouse clicks to look myself.

If it's not absolutely perfect, $0, and delivered precisely when I want it it's not good enough.

I once had exactly that happen and the woman asked me out. She might have even rubbed my shoulders if I asked nicely.

BTW she was nice n all, but I said NO. Between my wife and my hobbies I have neither the time nor the desire.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2021, 02:15:27 pm »

Are you trying to take a shot at me?  Hard to tell since you won't quote who you are directing your attacks towards.  I haven't asked a single person to look for anything for me they just took it upon themselves.  I'd rather not mess with a TV I want an arcade monitor.  I've paid $500 apiece for the last 2 I bought.
 I usually try to be nice to the folks I've met at ZapCon but you keep taking shots at me and I have no idea what your problem is.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2021, 02:28:12 pm »
pbj just likes throwing random seemingly-nonsense comments around to keep us awake. He generally doesn't mean it personally towards anybody, it is just his way. Part of the local flavour, if you like?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2021, 02:33:06 pm »
PBJ gunna PBJ.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2021, 03:00:04 pm »

Flat screens aren't terrible, mostly it comes down to people worrying about convergence at the corners being wonky. Screen isn't curved, but not a big deal when compared to using an LCD.

I'm just now finishing a new batch of GreenAntz. We've made another design upgrade, this time adding a simple slide-switch to swap between H+V and composite sync input modes. Simpler, prettier, tidier, no bits to misplace.

Getting good convergence at the corners is just a matter of learning how the different geometry settings interact with each other. I used to have my ISF Certification way back 22 years ago which was right when these flat tubes were the most popular. It takes a little patience the first few times and then it's easy.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2021, 03:13:45 pm »
I had no idea that my TV is likely made of Pennsylvania sand.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2021, 03:17:26 pm »

Getting good convergence at the corners is just a matter of learning how the different geometry settings interact with each other. I used to have my ISF Certification way back 22 years ago which was right when these flat tubes were the most popular. It takes a little patience the first few times and then it's easy.

I spent several hours messing with the service menu in my kv-32fs. It's still not perfect, but good enough for me.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2021, 07:09:42 pm »

I once had exactly that happen and the woman asked me out. She might have even rubbed my shoulders if I asked nicely.

BTW she was nice n all, but I said NO. Between my wife and my hobbies I have neither the time nor the desire.

Seems that all of my friends who go to Thailand are looking for exactly what you avoid
 ;D
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2021, 07:12:07 pm »
I had no idea that my TV is likely made of Pennsylvania sand.

Thanks for posting this!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2021, 09:07:16 pm »
Seems that all of my friends who go to Thailand are looking for exactly what you avoid
 ;D

It is funny how often people assume that, not just men, but even women in Australia when I tell them I'm married to a Thai. They rarely say it of course, but you can easily infer by what they say and do. They all seem to assume she is not serious, like a bar girl I use for sex holiday visa convenience or something. Until they meet her or *listen* to me talking like she is a real person n all. No, I married her because she is amazing and she said yes. And I am in Thailand for HER convenience, not mine :D

If you go to northern Thailand, or any of the hilltribe areas, a common get-to-know-you question people will ask men is "how many (common-law) wives do you have?". At one point (before actually being married) I was doing volunteer work there and had 3 different ladies on the go (Aussie, Canadian and Thai) and had to think a lot about how to answer that question  :laugh2:  Weirdly, one hilltribe fortune teller (a wandering wizened Akha hilltribe crone who could read your palm while giving you a arm massage) guessed (knew) the right answer and we weren't even talking about it. One is enough for now  :duckhunt

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2021, 08:42:37 am »
I love my Mister!
I sold my Pi setups and just got the Mister for playing on my HDTV downstairs when I am feeling to lazy to play the original stuff.
Everything looks and plays great on it.

I must admit Jimbo I would also like to see a way to lock out the menu's so you cant accidentally go into anything you should not, Of course its easy to backup the SD card so if anything gets broken its easy to put it back but be nice to not need that option.
I have accidentally switched it to SD instead of USB a few times myself and so locked myself out requiring me to plug a keyboard in as my 8bitdo controllers are linked to the config files on the USB (atleast I think thats why!)
Again not a big deal but just one of those irritating things.

I made a video about it if anyone is interested for my YT channel, Yeah its a new channel and I am still learning about this YT video editing malarky!

Thanks for posting this video. I just started reading about the MiSTer project and your explanation really helped me understand what it is, what's needed, etc.  Good job.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2021, 08:49:44 am »
I love my Mister!
I sold my Pi setups and just got the Mister for playing on my HDTV downstairs when I am feeling to lazy to play the original stuff.
Everything looks and plays great on it.

I must admit Jimbo I would also like to see a way to lock out the menu's so you cant accidentally go into anything you should not, Of course its easy to backup the SD card so if anything gets broken its easy to put it back but be nice to not need that option.
I have accidentally switched it to SD instead of USB a few times myself and so locked myself out requiring me to plug a keyboard in as my 8bitdo controllers are linked to the config files on the USB (atleast I think thats why!)
Again not a big deal but just one of those irritating things.

I made a video about it if anyone is interested for my YT channel, Yeah its a new channel and I am still learning about this YT video editing malarky!

Thanks for posting this video. I just started reading about the MiSTer project and your explanation really helped me understand what it is, what's needed, etc.  Good job.
Glad it helped cheers dude.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2021, 04:12:38 pm »
Anyone have some controller wisdom they can share?

I'm about to order some 8BitDo controllers.
The SN30 Pro+ is already overkill for me for the foreseeable future so curious to know if anyone has used these.

I imagine I will only ever be using them wired up too but suggestions on the best BT dongle to use a pair of them at once would be awesome also.

Thanks y'all !

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2021, 04:33:20 pm »
Anyone have some controller wisdom they can share?

I'm about to order some 8BitDo controllers.
The SN30 Pro+ is already overkill for me for the foreseeable future so curious to know if anyone has used these.

I imagine I will only ever be using them wired up too but suggestions on the best BT dongle to use a pair of them at once would be awesome also.

Thanks y'all !
I use a pair of SN30s wirelessly.
I think the BT adapter I use is a edimax but would have to check.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2021, 05:32:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

I read that they have something on the order of only a line or two of lag- which seems outrageously fast.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2021, 06:03:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

I read that they have something on the order of only a line or two of lag- which seems outrageously fast.
Cant comment on the lag but they are good.

So the model number on my adapter is a UDC-324B.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2021, 06:08:49 pm »
The only 8bitdo controller I own in the M30 and I use it for 6 button games and it's excellent. It's very responsive and it has the best d-pad of any controller I own.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2021, 09:08:58 pm »
The only 8bitdo controller I own in the M30 and I use it for 6 button games and it's excellent. It's very responsive and it has the best d-pad of any controller I own.

I've heard the M30 is a really good controller. It got a very good score for lower latency on the spreadsheet MisterAddons put together.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2021, 08:01:03 am »
PBJ gunna PBJ.

does this mister thing play gauntlet legends at 100%?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2021, 11:41:12 am »
PBJ gunna PBJ.

does this mister thing play gauntlet legends at 100%?

Dont think anyone has made a core for it yet.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2021, 11:46:27 am »
I've actually never seen or heard of Gauntlet Legends so I had to look it up.  The couple reviews I found were not favorable.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gauntlet-legends-review/1900-2544469/#:~:text=The%20music%20is%20mediocre%20at,is%20neither%20enthralling%20nor%20interesting.

CanadianRyGuy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2021, 07:41:53 am
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2021, 07:37:21 am »
Hey everyone, I’m not super technical with this stuff so excuse my level of competence if my question was already explained. I’m curious what the limitations of the Mister are? Could it technically handle late 90s arcade games and it’s just a matter of copying a more complex core? Or is the core not the most limiting factor and computing power actually limits what this thing can do? I know progress is slow but gaining momentum and stuff, but just curious if it would ever replace a decent Mame machine running GroovyMame on a crt. I have a Tmnt and the thought of using this to really dedicate it to just Konami beat em ups is intriguing.
Cheers all!

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2021, 02:23:08 pm »
Hey everyone, I’m not super technical with this stuff so excuse my level of competence if my question was already explained. I’m curious what the limitations of the Mister are? Could it technically handle late 90s arcade games and it’s just a matter of copying a more complex core? Or is the core not the most limiting factor and computing power actually limits what this thing can do? I know progress is slow but gaining momentum and stuff, but just curious if it would ever replace a decent Mame machine running GroovyMame on a crt. I have a Tmnt and the thought of using this to really dedicate it to just Konami beat em ups is intriguing.
Cheers all!

MiSTer will never do NAOMI/Dreamcast or any of the other 3D era arcade hardware, it simply doesn't have the bandwidth. And even if it did, this is the era when chips started being designed with computers and trying to implement chips with 25 million transistors would be a massive undertaking. 

It should be able to handle most of the arcade hardware up to the mid-90s. Arcade boards that used a lot of SRAM in their design could also pose issues because of the limited amount of BRAM on the DE-10 Nano.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2021, 04:28:27 am »
When a game is loaded, can you prevent someone (e.g. one of your kids) from getting into a menu to mess with settings?  I've seen a video where you can prevent people from going outside the main game list when selecting a core/game to load, but can someone clarify whether its possible to prevent any tweaking once you're in a game/core?  (e.g. the menu that lets you change aspect ratio and other video settings).

Thanks

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2021, 05:14:54 am »
Thanks for the reply!

Cant comment on the lag but they are good.

So the model number on my adapter is a UDC-324B.

Thanks for replies y'all !

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:12:48 pm
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2021, 09:13:08 am »
The way I locked it down in the video, the only thing someone could bring up while your playing a game, is the list of games available.. That is it.. No other button would have any effect. You could even assign the Alt-F12 macro to a 2 or 3 button combo, which would make it even more unlikely they could mess up a game.

Zeosstud

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2021, 10:14:43 am »
perfect, thanks for clarifying  :cheers:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2021, 12:42:53 pm »
Regarding controllers, I bought the Hori PC Engine mini pad after seeing it scored well on the Mister latency chart. The pad is well-made and responsive. It's plug and play on my PC and Raspberry Pi (as well as the Mister apparently, but I can't test yet). It has a 10 foot USB cable and hardwired turbo switches that function independently of software.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the D-pad is a little too stiff and snappy, especially compared to the 30 year old Turbografx pads that I've tested, but the Hori pad is definitely worth the 25 bucks on Amazon. I bought a 2nd one after testing the first and I'll be using them on Mister once I get one.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2021, 08:54:07 pm »
Just an FYI that that Terasic DE0-10 Nano board recently had a $35 price hike which has been confirmed to be permanent.