Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Welcome to the MiSTer FPGA LOVE Fest ;)  (Read 65313 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: Welcome to the MiSTer FPGA LOVE Fest ;)
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2021, 01:27:30 pm »
The initial setup seems simple, but I know that the whole adding roms thing will be nearly Pi-levels of frustration (without the artwork format and naming issues, at least).

Neo Geo roms, for example: apparently, it's not the same set as the Mame version, but it uses the same naming structure. The games seem to need to be in individual folders in a particularly named subdirectory. I don't think they can be zipped, but I'm not certain.

For other systems like MSX, I've heard that it can be a pain to get the games to run, requiring some knowledge of how the original system worked. It's already annoying adding MSX games to a Pi and dealing with the compatibility issues, but running the MSX core on the Mister is reportedly more convoluted, since the software emulator on the Pi does the booting somewhat automatically.

Turbografx seems like an easy system to get running on the Mister, thankfully, but the lack of save states is inconvenient. Also, it's not clear to me if the disc part of the core is super finicky about format, such as only bin+cue, or if other formats are acceptable, as I've found conflicting information.

Another question is whether it's easy to use different controllers for different cores. For example, can I map a USB Neo Geo X stick to the Neo Geo core and then map a PCE mini controller to the TG16 core and be able to hotswap the controller that I need without further remapping? Does the system reorder controllers if you keep them plugged in all the time?

It's a big limitation that there is no software rotation for vertically-oriented content, at least through HDMI (I understand that on an analog format like a CRT, but not so much on a flat panel that is already being upscaled). That means that a decent chunk of the arcade content will be useless to people like me who don't have an easy way to rotate their displays.

Still, there are a lot of cool features and a lot to appreciate about the Mister. I'm seriously considering getting one. I may wait until the new aluminum cases become available, but for now I've definitely got the bug of at least understanding how it works. The Pi ended up sucking dozens of hours out of my life. The Mister feels familiar in that way, so I'm wary of jumping into another Linux swamp.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:33:03 pm by KenToad »

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2021, 01:35:44 pm »
I'd kinda like to learn how to work on the cores for this.  I've always wanted to work on the FPGA side of things at work but have been stuck doing embedded SW development.  I've worked with the Zynq 7000 and Ultrascale+ SOCs for years but mainly writing for the internal ARM cores and interfacing to the FPGA logic that the other team develops.  We use tools that have $10,000 licenses at work so I'd like to know what these Mister guys are using for development.  I've tried searching the forums and Discord and I've seen people asking how to get started to help and then nobody gives them any advice.

I guess that the free version of Quartus is all they need. They use version 17.0.x

The dev-talk section of the MiSTer FPGA discord is where I would suggest asking question like this.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2021, 01:54:48 pm »
The initial setup seems simple, but I know that the whole adding roms thing will be nearly Pi-levels of frustration (without the artwork format and naming issues, at least).

Neo Geo roms, for example: apparently, it's not the same set as the Mame version, but it uses the same naming structure. The games seem to need to be in individual folders in a particularly named subdirectory. I don't think they can be zipped, but I'm not certain.

For other systems like MSX, I've heard that it can be a pain to get the games to run, requiring some knowledge of how the original system worked. It's already annoying adding MSX games to a Pi and dealing with the compatibility issues, but running the MSX core on the Mister is reportedly more convoluted, since the software emulator on the Pi does the booting somewhat automatically.

Turbografx seems like an easy system to get running on the Mister, thankfully, but the lack of save states is inconvenient. Also, it's not clear to me if the disc part of the core is super finicky about format, such as only bin+cue, or if other formats are acceptable, as I've found conflicting information.

Another question is whether it's easy to use different controllers for different cores. For example, can I map a USB Neo Geo X stick to the Neo Geo core and then map a PCE mini controller to the TG16 core and be able to hotswap the controller that I need without further remapping? Does the system reorder controllers if you keep them plugged in all the time?

It's a big limitation that there is no software rotation for vertically-oriented content, at least through HDMI (I understand that on an analog format like a CRT, but not so much on a flat panel that is already being upscaled). That means that a decent chunk of the arcade content will be useless to people like me who don't have an easy way to rotate their displays.

Still, there are a lot of cool features and a lot to appreciate about the Mister. I'm seriously considering getting one. I may wait until the new aluminum cases become available, but for now I've definitely got the bug of at least understanding how it works. The Pi ended up sucking dozens of hours out of my life. The Mister feels familiar in that way, so I'm wary of jumping into another Linux swamp.

For Neo Geo most people use the darksoft sets which are just straight image files. You just drop those plus like 5 bios files in the /games/NeoGeo folder and you're all set. It took me maybe 30 minutes to get going including downloading everything.

MSX runs MSX-DOS as an operating system and it works just like early MS-DOS or CP/M. I had never used it before and had no trouble. Also, the computer cores that run well like MSX, Amiga and ao486 have pre-configured hard drive images out there with menu systems where you can just run games without any effort on your part.

Turbografx will run with bin+cue or chd files.

There's rotation options for vertical games in nearly every core for HDMI. No rotation option for CRT monitors though, unless you force the scaler on over the VGA port.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2021, 02:17:37 pm »
I was surprised when I ran the update all script I believe it downloaded all the arcade roms for me.  I've only worked on a few other things outside that which was getting a few Atari 800 games running that I remembered playing as a kid.  One was Shamus and another was Miner2049er.  Its kinda cool hearing the noise like it's loading from a tape deck on some of them.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 04:16:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2021, 02:31:42 pm »
High Score saving for Donkey Kong is now a thing.. with that and Pengo High score saving I think it's time to play more and talk less..

Zeosstud

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2021, 04:00:59 pm »
I was surprised when I ran the update all script I believe it downloaded all the arcade roms for me.  I've only worked on a few other things outside that which was getting a few Atari 800 games running that I remembered playing as a kid.  One was Shamus and another was Miner2049er.  Its kinda cool hearing the noise like it's loading from a tape deck on some of them.

I ran the updater-pc, which is the PC version of the update all script, to see what it would get. And yeah, it seemed to download all the arcade cores including the roms, which is pretty cool. I also like that there is the option to run it on  PC and then just move over the cores and such that you actually want to try to your Mister. It's also a nice way for people like me who are on the fence about the Mister to get a preview of the file structure.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2021, 10:39:02 pm »
I find it very cute that MiSTer has supported cores for BBC Micro and Acorn Archimedes. Can anyone guess why?
Check out my completed projects!

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2021, 12:40:40 am »

I realized I forgot to answer this earlier.

So whenever you plug in a new USB controller you have to map you have to go into 'Define joystick buttons' on the System Settings screen to set it up. It remembers the controller when you plug it in again based on it's usb id. The update_all script installs a script so that you can easily turn on and off 1000hz USB polling.

When you launch a core, which ever controller you press a button on first becomes the player one controller. If you press a button on a second controller it becomes player two, etc... This allows you to just keep seven controllers plugged in all the time if you desire.

If a specific core needs a different controller mapping to work well, different from the default, there's a setting for that in the core menu. If a specific ROM in a console core needs a different mapping to work well there's a setting for that too. So you can have per game mappings if you desire.

It all works incredibly well.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2021, 12:40:59 am »
I find it very cute that MiSTer has supported cores for BBC Micro and Acorn Archimedes. Can anyone guess why?

Please tell.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2021, 02:23:06 am »

I have a friend here named Archimedes!
 :lol

Really, I do.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 02:38:38 am »

I realized I forgot to answer this earlier.

So whenever you plug in a new USB controller you have to map you have to go into 'Define joystick buttons' on the System Settings screen to set it up. It remembers the controller when you plug it in again based on it's usb id. The update_all script installs a script so that you can easily turn on and off 1000hz USB polling.

When you launch a core, which ever controller you press a button on first becomes the player one controller. If you press a button on a second controller it becomes player two, etc... This allows you to just keep seven controllers plugged in all the time if you desire.

If a specific core needs a different controller mapping to work well, different from the default, there's a setting for that in the core menu. If a specific ROM in a console core needs a different mapping to work well there's a setting for that too. So you can have per game mappings if you desire.

It all works incredibly well.

This sounds incredible, light years ahead of how controllers are handled on my Pi. It also seems like a feature that I would have heard about by now from Smokemonster or RetroRGB or some other in depth Mister reviewer. Thanks for explaining how it works.

Any idea how compatible 1000hz polling is? It seems like another amazing feature that should be on by default, but I read that it may not be compatible with all devices.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 02:40:40 am by KenToad »

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 02:58:24 am »

This sounds incredible, light years ahead of how controllers are handled on my Pi. It also seems like a feature that I would have heard about by now from Smokemonster or RetroRGB or some other in depth Mister reviewer. Thanks for explaining how it works.

Any idea how compatible 1000hz polling is? It seems like another amazing feature that should be on by default, but I read that it may not be compatible with all devices.

It's pretty compatible. For instance, all these controllers listed on Porkchop Express's (MiSTer Addons) controller latency spreadsheet were tested with the fast polling on.

https://twitter.com/misteraddons/status/1265071632382640131

But if you happen to find an oddball controller or adapter that doesn't get along with it, it's super quick to just turn it off.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2021, 03:36:12 am »

Please tell.

I have a friend here named Archimedes!

Really, I do.

The whole FPGA MiSTer thing might not even be possible if not for the ARM chip on the DE10. The ARM chip is based on RiSC processing, a completely different CPU infrastructure to your normal Intel & AMD etc offerings. It trades off reduced instruction set for much faster and more efficient processing, and also because it uses less power.

The ARM chip was originally developed by Acorn and used in an expansion module for the BBC Micro, and later became the basis for the Archimedes. Acorn only developed the BBC Micro because the BBC wanted a computer to feature in their Computer SHow. Acorn wanted to develop a RiSC CPU for it. The BBC Micro became standard in UK schools and Acorn flourished for a time.

Originally Acorn wanted Intel to develop RiSC-based CPUs for the BBC Micro but Intel weren't interested. So Acorn did it themselves. It was originally a side-project of Acorn, but eventually was the only part of the company to keep going as a distinct entity after it was eventually bought out.

ARM chips are now ubiquitous in small mobile devices like smart phones, and thousands of other devices we use everyday. Yet it was only developed because the BBC wanted a computer for their show, and Intel were too lazy to bother about it. ARM chips were ultimately unsuccessful in their target market (home computers) because there wasn't the same software and support available to competitors like the IBM PC. They were never designed with low-power as the main feature, but the reason why they were successful in other applications was because they use low power compared to other processors of similar grunt.

So, a fascinating story about how a CPU designed almost by accident has become the most successful CPU in modern history. It all began with humble Acorn.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2021, 04:29:06 am »
Fun backstory!

I imagine Intel didn't see enough $$$ in it for them and IBM had such reach for soooo long who could hope to compete back then, yeah?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2021, 05:09:50 am »
Fun backstory!

I imagine Intel didn't see enough $$$ in it for them and IBM had such reach for soooo long who could hope to compete back then, yeah?

I'm sure there are people at Intel (or formerly at Intel) that regularly kick themselves now. But if Intel did the RiSC chip, then would it ultimately have been as successful?

If Intel took it up, or the Archimedes has been released about 2-3 years earlier, home computing might be very different today. Bill Gates would have probably made a lot less money (because MSDOS would've become much less relevant), and we all might have gotten smart phones earlier.

Anyway yeah, use the ARM processor in your MiSTer to replicate the experience of using the first computers that used ARM processors.   :o

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 09:18:07 am »
I think the moral of the story is even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once and awhile...lol.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2021, 02:38:52 pm »
On Amazon, I'm seeing a bundle of the IO board, USB Hub, and Ram for $99. Is that clone hardware? Is it known to be inferior?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZC2NNW9/ref=crt_ewc_img_srh_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P0WZE5E6H8MH

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2021, 02:52:37 pm »
On Amazon, I'm seeing a bundle of the IO board, USB Hub, and Ram for $99. Is that clone hardware? Is it known to be inferior?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZC2NNW9/ref=crt_ewc_img_srh_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P0WZE5E6H8MH

The seller only has about a 50% positive rating and the stuff is not fulfilled by Amazon for easy returns if it ends up being sketchy. Furthermore, I'm not sure what "Manual Welding" means. It sounds like you might get all the components and have to solder them yourself. That would be a nightmare. I would probably steer clear of that one.

I've dealt with misteraddons.com for my set up and would highly recommend that site. I follow the guy who runs it on Twitter and he has lots of happy customers that post regularly to thank him.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2021, 02:56:25 pm »
Porkchop Express and Misteraddons for sure are reliable..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2021, 03:05:52 pm »

I saw that same listing yesterday and it does look like the same boards.  You only need those boards though if you aren't using the new Mistercade.  I bought that prebundled kit from the misteraddons site so I'm sure I paid a little premium to have him build it.  Now I'm confident enough to buy the parts for a second one.  If you do get his kit the thing is already completely assembled and you pretty much just plug it in and run.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2021, 03:12:54 pm »

If you start a channel called The English Arcade I will fly to Stratford-on-Avon and personally kick your ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much chance of that but good luck with finding me in Stratford LMAO

Titchgamer I watched part of your video but I mainly just fast-forwarded to the middle where the games started.  Just a tip you can use Alt-F12 to jump between cores without using that reboot menu option.

Yeah I dont normally have a keyboard attached.

I made a video about it if anyone is interested for my YT channel, Yeah its a new channel and I am still learning about this YT video editing malarky!

Subscribed to your channel.I wouldnt usually hang around for a 30 minute video,but found it very informative :applaud:

Thank You :)
Greatly appreciated!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2021, 03:24:21 pm »

Titchgamer I watched part of your video but I mainly just fast-forwarded to the middle where the games started.  Just a tip you can use Alt-F12 to jump between cores without using that reboot menu option.

Yeah I'd love to figure out how to map it so I can press Select + Start and have it execute Alt-F12.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2021, 03:52:11 pm »

The boards are an open design so anyone can make them, the Chinese vendors have a reputation for iffy quality. If you go that route, make sure to download the memory test and run the sdram board through the paces.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest_MiSTer

The trusted vendors all use this test before they ship. You want to see the module running stable at 130 Mhz.

edit: these are probably not assembled at the $99 price. If going this route I would look on Aliexpress for vendors with reviews and ask questions first.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:54:52 pm by dmckean »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2021, 04:39:53 pm »

Yeah I'd love to figure out how to map it so I can press Select + Start and have it execute Alt-F12.
You can swap cores via the ingame OSD I believe but I always go backto the main menu heh.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2021, 04:55:09 pm »
Yeah and I need a keyboard to bring up the OSD.  I don't have any extra buttons I need to be able to program key combinations.  If you can hit F12 to bring up the main menu then you can hit Alt-F12 to do a quick core switch.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2021, 04:56:43 pm »
I use a 8bitdo SNES controller and have one of the odd buttons assigned as OSD.
Works great :)

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2021, 05:07:49 pm »
All I suggested was that you could map another button to Alt F12 for a quicker core switch.  If you don't want to fine no need to keep going around the block on this.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2021, 05:10:34 pm »
All I suggested was that you could map another button to Alt F12 for a quicker core switch.  If you don't want to fine no need to keep going around the block on this.
And all I am doing is telling you what controller I use to allow me to bring up the OSD.
No need to get offended :dunno:

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2021, 05:20:26 pm »
For anyone else wanting to learn the FPGA hardware, this book gets recommended a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/111800888X

It's a little bit older and references the DE1 and DE2 boards but most of it is still relevant to the DE10 hardware. The vast majority of books out there teach the Xilinx hardware.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2021, 01:00:47 am »
For anyone else wanting to learn the FPGA hardware, this book gets recommended a lot.

It's a little bit older and references the DE1 and DE2 boards but most of it is still relevant to the DE10 hardware. The vast majority of books out there teach the Xilinx hardware.

I'll say thank you for the link!
Although I looked up the book and holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- is that way over my head
 :laugh2:

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2021, 01:52:37 am »

I'll say thank you for the link!
Although I looked up the book and holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- is that way over my head

Yeah, it requires some good knowledge of computer hardware. Maybe start here and go from there:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201436647/

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2021, 02:39:47 am »
And thank you for THAT link!

That one I believe I could actually absorb something from.

My last first hand experience with any programming...?
Fortran 77, my first year of college

I do really enjoy seeing how stuff works though so maybe I can learn something.

csnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2021, 10:30:22 am »
my first year of college

So I take it you were high school class of 88?  Rock on - same here.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2021, 11:44:58 am »
Wrote my first program in 1980 in BASIC using 2B graphite pencil onto cards

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2021, 12:02:32 pm »

Dude that was already old school for that year.  I learned Basic on the Atari 800 about that same year.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2021, 01:21:56 pm »

Dude that was already old school for that year.  I learned Basic on the Atari 800 about that same year.
Oh yeah, I used to switch out the binary vacuum tubes on ENIAC. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2021, 01:29:21 pm »
my first year of college

Yup.  After I thought about it again, occurred to me that I started college in fall of '88.
Man, saying that made me feel old!

And, this thread makes me feel dumb.
Actually, lots of threads around here do that

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2021, 02:28:06 pm »

my first year of college

Yup.  After I thought about it again, occurred to me that I started college in fall of '88.
Man, saying that made me feel old!

And, this thread makes me feel dumb.
Actually, lots of threads around here do that

Yeah, we were a country/rural school with limited resources. But I was lucky. Within a year I was doing games in BASIC at home on a TRS80 clone. Many interesting stories there.

[EDIT: TL;DR]

Now all I wanna do is retrogaming until I either die or can't hold the joystick in my hands/feet/tongue anymore.  :oldman
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:21:20 pm by Zebidee »

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2021, 12:56:04 am »

Quick video of how you can lock down a MiSTer so it can only play Arcade Games..

-Zeosstud

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2021, 08:32:34 am »
Where is the MiSTer hate thread ?  :P