Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Struggling noob - Groovymame & PC CRT  (Read 1855 times)

vagrant_17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2021, 08:34:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Struggling noob - Groovymame & PC CRT
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:35:51 pm »
Hi I'm completely new to GM and are really struggling with it.

The goal is to setup a dedicated dual-monitor machine, using the second display for emulation output.
I have:
i7 6700k
R9 380X
Win 10 (latest build)
display 1: benq lcd
display 2: philips 109b4 PC CRT

I installed the latest GM release, along with CRT Emudriver package. (Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Adrenalin 18.5.1 for GCN* cards))
I followed the 2019 installation guide, and the emudriver install guide on the support site, to set up for super resolutions.
During emudriver driver tutorial, I chose one of the PC CRT monitor presets. I also enabled EDID emulation. (Though I dont think I need to?)

Anyway, long story short, all of the PC CRT & VESA monitor types result in 'out of sync' modes for me. I managed to get display output with a modified version of the Arcade 31khz preset that I found on the forum somewhere.. I changed some of values to try and match my CRT, but I really have no idea what I'm doing lol. I've also tried with & without emulated EDID.

where I'm at now:
- Switchres doesnt seem to be outputting the optimal resolution from the list. For example sf2 outputs at 640x480, or 2560x480 with emulated edid - not 2560x448, even though the resolution works in arcadeosd.
- If I set framedelay to anything above 0, the log is full of 'probably missed retrace' errors (even though speed is always 100% on the mame osd).
- Whether I set KDM-WS or WASAPI, the log reports lot of overrun/underruns (although it sounds ok, no crackling?)
- I need to have my CRT set as primary display, otherwise I will get no GM output to it. Is this normal? Was hoping to leave the CRT as secondary.

I'm guessing my monitor config is completely wrong  :-[
I've attached a log file, trying to run sf2. This was with EDID emulation disabled.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Struggling noob - Groovymame & PC CRT
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 04:57:38 am »
Hi vagrant_17,

Your setup is quite right from what I'm seeing.

In order to use the CRT as your secondary display, configure it in Windows like that, then in mame.ini edit:

screen \\.\DISPLAY2

Ignore frame delay errors when the speed is 100% solid. Those are warnings that happen because you're using such a low value for frame delay that it re-enters so fast in the renderer that it thinks it has missed a retrace. We'll have better statistics in the future hopefully. Now, when these errors matter, you'll probably notice some choppiness on the screen.

SR reports a false mode at startup, maybe because you have artwork enabled. Try forcing -artwork_crop in mame.ini. After that, notice how SR does a second mode switch to 2560x448, as you expected.

Anyway, for what we care, 480 is perfectly equivalent to 448 because GM will add the needed borders, so don't worry.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

vagrant_17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 08:12:42 am »
Thanks for the help and explanation Calamity, much appreciated :D

Forcing artwork_crop certainly did the trick, thank you!

I'm still having trouble getting a display from CRT when it is set as secondary display, if it is set as primary/main display it works perfectly.
What happens is the CRT *does* switch resolution, but the emulation itself still outputs on the primary LCD (see pic).
I'll also attach my mame.ini in case something is wrong there.

vagrant_17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 01:39:35 am »
Still need to have crt set as primary, not sure why, it is strange.
But I have some more noob questions :)

1. Galaga has 288x244 resolution. I have 2560x576 available, but I'm wondering why does switchres choose 800x600 instead?
(I can still force 2560x576 by setting 'resolution 2560x0')

2. I can't use the 'get mode from clipboard' function in Arcade OSD at all, it is always greyed out. I launch a game with verbose output, quit the game, launch Arcade OSD and the option is not available?

3. When launching games, there is no white screen border during the initialisation screen. It was handy to check geometry is ok before starting. Was it removed from mame / groovy at some stage, and can I re-enable it somehow?

Regards