Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lockdown Mini Twin Cabinet Project  (Read 2991 times)

mike5im5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2021, 03:22:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Lockdown Mini Twin Cabinet Project
« on: March 16, 2021, 11:22:48 am »
So over the last 3 weekends I decided to use up some of the junk I've accumulated over the years and replace the upright full sized mame machine I had in the house (it's been regulated to my man cave now). Aim was to build something robust but easy to operate so the kids can play without too much assistance using as much recycled materials as possible. I don't have much time (building during the youngest's nap times, so 1-2 hours a time max). Amazing I'm almost done without having to buy new parts/materials. Just a few usb ports and some speakers. It stands at about 105cm tall, so perfect size for the little ones. Adults can play too if you pull out the pedals. I'll think build some fixed chairs out of some PVC pipes and a go-kart seat next (and finish artwork).

Parts:
- Chipboard panel from an old Ikea wardrobe that needed scrapping (this has been catabolised into a few machines now!)
- Some left over wooden flooring
- random wooden batons for joints
- 2 x small PS1 steering wheels and pedals (were about £8-£15 each on ebay)
- 2 x PS1 to usb converter
- various arcade buttons
- 2 x usb joystick encoders (found a 5v supply on one of them which I powered the button LEDs off)
- 5v LED strip
- left over plexi from a pergola roof
- 2 x Old Dell 19" monitors (donated from unwanted office clearout)
- 2 x Lenovo M92p small form factor pc's (easily aquired from ebay without OS's or HD's)
- 2 small ssd drives
- small unmanaged network switch and some cat5e cables
- t-molding
- fake carbon fibre sticky film

Software
- Windows 10 (offline)
- HyperSpin frontend with horizontal wheel
- Custom bat files to load emulators/roms/games
- Joy2Key

Link Games Working
- Virtua Racing
- Daytona USA
- Sega Rally
- Daytona 2 (Yay, just saw the updates on here the other night and it works fantastically)
- Lemans 24 (as above)
- Flat Out 2 (often forgotten about classic)
- Outrun Coast 2 Coast

Standalone games working
- All Model 2 Racers (Overrev, Indy 500 etc)
- All Model 3 Racers (Scud racer, Sega Rally 2 etc)
- Mame classic racers like Outrun
- Sonic & SEGA All Star Racing

I'm looking for suggestions for any other emulator or PC games that support network play? Will Mariokart on the gamecube work? How about dreamcast modem games?

Pic so far:

Play Testing

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:13:32 pm by mike5im5 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Lockdown Mini Twin Cabinet Project
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 12:09:34 pm »
Looks like something fun for the kids. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 05:11:31 pm »
Oh man, what a lovely thing to do for your kids! Impressive looking as well for something made out of scrap, especially the fact you went to the effort of adding T-Molding in. Glad you've got the new Supermodel network stuff on there. Shouldn't be too long until Scud Race, Dirt Devils and Harley Davidson get added to the new network (and hopefully Sega Rally 2). Stuff like Chase HQ 2 in Teknoparrot can be linked, plus a few others. There's more Sega MAME linkable games too, like Outrunners, F1 super Lap and Rad Rally. I think you can link up some of the Midway games to now (I think there was a thread on here about that awhile back). Old skool Sega Rally 2 for Windows is linkable (although I could never get the link to work, back in the days I still had a second PC for for such things). As far as the Model 2 games go, Manx TT, Motor Raid and Indy 500 are linkable (although you might have issues with Indy 500 as the network is super prone to failure. I could only ever get it working as a single PC network game).

mike5im5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2021, 03:22:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 03:41:42 am »
Ah some great suggestions!

I’m not sure the machines are upto teknoparrot but will experiment. You had any success with Mario GP or sonic all stars link on TP? Kids love those games. Pc version of sonic all stars is split screen only. And controls for sonic transformed (for flying) won’t work on here unfortunately.

I’ll def give the mame link ones a try if they work as well as virtuaracing.

Kids enjoy it a lot. But I think the motivation was a bit of nostalgia and thinking back to times in the 90s watching other play Daytona link up at the trocadera in London. Having a rig like this as a kid would have been a dream.

MotownC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:59:33 pm
  • Reliving my youth, one lap at a time
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 12:46:35 pm »
Great stuff - makes me think that a twin cab would be a blast in my game room. May have to put this on a to-do list...

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 12:38:52 pm »
I’m not sure the machines are upto teknoparrot but will experiment. You had any success with Mario GP or sonic all stars link on TP?

I used to have a second PC for doing Model 2 and MAME link-ups, but it died years ago. Teknoparrot was a thing before it went to Silicon heaven, but it couldn't really handle many of the games full speed, so I never tried any TP network shenanigans between it and my main PC.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 11:24:25 pm »
Mario Kart linked is pretty easy to set up on Teknoparrot. Google the Teknogods github compatibility page and take a look at the instructions. Sega Rally 3 is also pretty great, along with the stuff MrThunderwing mentions.

If you get the english patch the test menu should be readable too :)