Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Black screen only when turning on PC with arcade and LCD monitor simultaneously  (Read 1833 times)

LEM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2023, 02:14:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I installed CRT Emudriver on my Windows PC. It runs well. Arcade monitor connected to VGA port and LCD to DVI port.
Image shows up correctly on both monitors when I turn on the PC.

Now I decided to go a step forward and installed ATOM 15. In this case, when I turn on my computer, if I have both connected, I get a black screen on both.
However, if instead, I leave the LCD monitor unplugged, the image will show up ok on the arcade monitor. After that, if I plug in the DVI cable,
image also shows up on my LCD. The opposite doesn't work.

Any ideas why this happens? I understand that during the booting process the video signal is set to 15KHz, so the LCD should be blank,
but once Calamity drivers take over, image should be displayed on both. What am I missing?  :'(

I'm using a Radeon 5450 and also a JPAC.

Thanks!

Max_FS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 03:45:06 pm
This sounds familiar to me:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161571.0.html

Just take a look at my older post, maybe it is the same problem you have. I was not able to solve it with a software solution so i had to build a little hardware device that delayed the power supply of one of the screens...

LEM

• Offline Offline
Thanks a lot for your reply. Sorry, I searched a lot and I didn't see your post...
(btw there's a typo in the link, right one is http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=161571.0 )

So I guess there's nothing I can do... except adding that delay. However, let me ask you something.
Is it the same for you the opposite? I mean, starting your PC only with the LCD plugged in? Because in that case in doesn't work for me either.

CRT on, LCD on -> Black screen
CRT on, LCD off -> OK
CRT off, LCD on -> Black screen

Thanks.

Max_FS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 03:45:06 pm
No problem  ;D

With regard to your additional question:
I really cannot remember it precisely. I only remember that I did a lot of testing and even created an excel file to write it all down. Unfortunately, I can't find that file. I think I deleted it...
But in the end I decided to delay the power supply of the LCD and not of the CRT. So that may be a clue that it worked for me with CRT on and LCD off.

LEM

• Offline Offline
Not a problem, I have done so much testing that sometimes I even forget what I tried an hour before. :)
I think I will just use your workaround.

Regards