Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4way 8way switchable sticks? (SNES/NES)  (Read 1386 times)

impetus_maximus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2021, 01:54:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
4way 8way switchable sticks? (SNES/NES)
« on: March 15, 2021, 05:25:18 pm »
hello,

i recently played Pack-Man championship edition on the NES (AVS).  :applaud:
i've gone from wanting a custom joystick, to NEEDING one. D-Pad won't cut it.

the plan is to make a custom joystick housing out of 3/8" birch plywood. i'm wanting a stick that can swap between 4 and 8 way switching as i want it for shmups as well.
i'm looking at the Industrias Lorenzo (iL) magnetic joystick. you can pull the stick outward and switch between 4 and 8 way gates.
i've read it's fantastic for 4 way, but 8 way not so much as the corners can be hard to hit accurately.
i know Sanwa sticks are all the rage for fighters, but short throw i think more fits my games/play style.

i'd prefer not to need to open the box to switch, but if i could push a lever etc without tools, that would work.
servos etc are out of the question.

if there is no good 'all around' solution, what are good 8 way, and 4 way only sticks? i don't mind paying $25+ a stick.

thanks for reading.  :cheers:
/max

Scotty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2022, 11:48:29 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re: 4way 8way switchable sticks? (SNES/NES)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 08:03:40 pm »
If you are going to do it, do it right.  Get the Ultimate 360 from Ultimarc.  Analog, 4-way, 8-way, 4-way diagonal, 2 way...  whatever you need.  This thing is incredible.  I had to get a second one.   Pricey, but so worth it.  Never thought I would spend that much on a stick, but I ordered a second one the next week.  NOTE:  ALSO ORDER THE STIFFER SPRING!!!!!!!

impetus_maximus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 08:32:41 pm »
thanks Scotty, i'll check em out.

question, how do you have it wired? i'm going to be using resistors and a couple of 4021 ICs for NES/SNES use.
can this function the same as one with mechanical switches? the docs are a little confusing to me.

cheers

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 03:00:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 09:12:25 pm »
The U360s are connected via USB as a gamepad in windows.

Like Scotty said, get the stiffer spring AND the circular restrictor for it. Those 2 items are pretty much necessities for these sticks IMO.

impetus_maximus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 09:15:26 pm »
thanks circusfreak. USB and windows is a no-go for me. i'm hooking up to real(ish) NES/SNES hardware (FPGA AVS, and Super Nt).

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 10:01:51 pm »
You might want to consider these two options.

1. https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-controls/joysticks/servostik/
- Not sure how much current the servo draws while switching -- might be more than the NES/SNES controller connector can supply.   :dunno
- Can be switched in standalone configuration (no PC) using using two buttons or a toggle switch.

2. https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-controls/joysticks/mag-stik-plus/

Scott
P.S. Are you sure you need a 4-/8-way switchable stick for NES/SNES?
Seems like any 4-way game ported to those platforms should be fairly tolerant to using a 8-way stick since the controller D-pad can hit diagonals just like an 8-way stick.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 10:22:19 pm by PL1 »

impetus_maximus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 11:40:24 pm »
Scott,

thanks for the suggestions. the Mag-Stik plus looks like a Industrias Lorenzo i was considering with the bonus of not having to open the box to switch.
i can't find documentation on the mA draw limit on SNES/NES 5V line, or the clone hardware i'm running so i'm going to avoid servos to be safe.

as for needing 4 way, i'm not sure. the NES/SNES Capcom fight stick i own has a 4/8 switch.
i've heard pac-man does weird things with diagonal inputs. weather that is present on the version i'm playing, not sure either.  :dunno
i'll have to play around with it and see. unfortunately when i bought the Capcom stick used at Funco Land, it didn't have the NES chord included.
been planning on wiring some SNES extension chords with NES ends so i can use my Super Famicom controllers on my AVS (NES FPGA clone)
i better get on that,  then i'll play around with the 4/8 switch.  :blah:

regardless, i'm still considering the short throw Mag-Stik/iL for my build. perhaps ripping the guts out of my Capcom stick for added features.  >:D
i never liked the long throw of that stick, the buttons, and button layout are horrible IMO.

thanks again  :cheers:
/max