Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gil's NES Bartop  (Read 3407 times)

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
Gil's NES Bartop
« on: March 12, 2021, 03:14:48 pm »
Every so often I see builds around here and think "Wow...I want to make one of those!".  Well this was one of them and I finally did it.  I was browsing the Hall of Fame thread one day and this one stood out to me.  A couple years ago I had made a bartop from those $5 GeekPub plans but I never really liked the cheap buttons and joysticks I had bought for it.  It had a 2 player setup with way too many buttons and I could never remember which button I had setup to do what.  So I decided to gut that bartop and reuse the monitor, speakers, Raspberry Pi, zero delay encoder board and a few miscellaneous electrical parts/cables.  My monitor is a lot wider than what was in that hall of fame build and I also wanted to keep the buttons simple with 3 instead of 6 so I ended up having to spend about 8 hours redesigning the entire bartop but using his plans as a guidance helped quite a bit.  I also had to rework all the artwork.  He provides a link to the plans if anyone else wants to copy like I did.  I also mentioned to my personal trainer what I was building and he wanted one for his family so I ended up building two identical copies except I gave him my old stuff I pulled out of the old bartop and bought new stuff for mine.  Its running RetroPie and works really nice.  I would like to also shoot a video of it to show how nice it works.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133712.0.html

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: Gil's NES Bartop
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 03:28:33 pm »
Excellent job.  Would love to see a video walkthrough, including the boot sequence.

What size monitor did you use?  I can't quite tell ow big the cabinet is.  3 buttons is perfect.  My one regret on my bartop is I went with 6.  Completely unnecessary.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 03:37:43 pm »
Well look at that. It doesn't have 70 buttons, and it doesn't light up like a Christmas tree.

Nice job.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 04:29:38 pm »
Excellent job.  Would love to see a video walkthrough, including the boot sequence.

What size monitor did you use?  I can't quite tell ow big the cabinet is.  3 buttons is perfect.  My one regret on my bartop is I went with 6.  Completely unnecessary.

This is the monitor I used.  Probably a little pricey for a bartop but it was the once called for in the original GeekPub plans so I just bought a second one to match since I was building two of them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148NNKTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Umpa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:53:42 am
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 05:44:46 pm »
Very Nice!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 07:44:14 pm »
Very nice Gil. I like the start/select buttons, it really sells the NES controller feel. Great work

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 09:19:37 pm »
Looks great! Well done!  :cheers: How did you fabricate the 3d marquee?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 11:05:56 am »
Looks great! Well done!  :cheers: How did you fabricate the 3d marquee?

I had a local plastic shop laser cut the Nintendo letters.  Although the "N" they gave me turned out to have chipped corners so I cut the one you see here freehand on a scrollsaw.

Umpa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:53:42 am
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 01:08:23 am »
How do verticle games look on that since it's mounted horizontal?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 01:29:32 am »
I love this cabinet.

Stylish homage with no ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- and great fit and finish.

What's not to love?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 10:09:00 am »
How do verticle games look on that since it's mounted horizontal?

The monitor is big enough I like the vertical games.  I've played ones like 1942 and Donkey Kong.  I've got it setup so there are nice bezel graphics that take up the space on the side but do not shrink the screen vertically at all.  And the nice thing with RetroPie is its pretty easy to set that stuff up.  RetroPie has some of the best online documentation.  You just run a script and it downloads and installs all the graphics.  The real winner for me was when I figured out how to get scanline filters running.  Ghouls and Ghosts looks pretty awesome with the scanlines.  Again it was just finding the option buried down in a menu and the online help led me how to do it.  Its been nicer to setup than figuring out how to coordinate RocketLauncher with BigBox running Mame.  The most confusing thing I've found really isn't anything to do with RetroPie its that darn RetroArch config stuff.  The way RetroArch does controller configuration is nuts to figure out.  By default RetroArch was doing strange button mappings and it took a lot of trial and error to figure out which buttons needed to be mapped to what.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 07:33:46 pm »
A few more photos of some games and additional loading screens.  BTW my loading screens have motion.  I made them so the center image pulses in size a few times so the display does not appear to be frozen while waiting.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 07:38:13 pm »
Here's a cropped section of Ghouls and Ghosts to show the scanlines:

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 10:24:40 am »
Looks nice.  What NES games do you play with arcade controls?  There is a somewhat new game called Micro Mages for NES that is really fun plus all the classics (SMB, Mega Man, Castlevania, etc.) but that's all I'm really familiar with.  I'm sure there are a lot of "hidden gems" I never played when I was a kid...

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 10:33:39 am »
Looks nice.  What NES games do you play with arcade controls?  There is a somewhat new game called Micro Mages for NES that is really fun plus all the classics (SMB, Mega Man, Castlevania, etc.) but that's all I'm really familiar with.  I'm sure there are a lot of "hidden gems" I never played when I was a kid...

I'm not even sure what games I put on there.  I think I did a search for the top 20 games and tried to get all of those running.  I'll admit I spend more time building than playing.  I've used the control panel for Super Mario but I also have reproduction NES controllers that plug into those front USB ports.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 01:31:31 pm »
Nice!!

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2021, 09:44:16 am »
Pretty spot on build! Out of curiosity why did you omit the Power/Reset buttons? And how do you now exit out of a game?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 11:20:27 am »
Pretty spot on build! Out of curiosity why did you omit the Power/Reset buttons? And how do you now exit out of a game?

Thanks...I just didn't think I needed those buttons.  I've used a Pi running RetroPie as well as a Mister FPGA in this now and both setups I was able to configure Select + Start 2 button combo to exit games.  Well actually on Mister that brings up the OSD menu which lets you switch cores or reset.  I know you were mimic'ing the original console but I just wanted to keep the buttons to a minimum.