Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Galaga V2 Countercade REDUCED to $49 on Walmart.com  (Read 7492 times)

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Galaga V2 Countercade REDUCED to $49 on Walmart.com
« on: March 12, 2021, 02:31:24 pm »
Walmart just reduced the price on the v2 countercade to $49 (from $79 ) which is a decent price for a countercade with Galaga and Galaga '88 or aas a cheap base for a project with nice artwork.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Galaga-Countercade-Arcade1Up/311492502
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:39:02 pm by JDFan »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
Re: Galaga V2 Countercade REDUCED to $49 on Walmart.com
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 04:46:08 pm »
I just bought one.  My first Arcade 1UP.  Mainly got it out of curiosity and since it arrives tomorrow I'll have something to do this weekend. Looks like Galaga only but that can be easily remedied.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 07:51:54 pm »
I just bought one.  My first Arcade 1UP.  Mainly got it out of curiosity and since it arrives tomorrow I'll have something to do this weekend. Looks like Galaga only but that can be easily remedied.

Also has Galaga '88 - which is another fun game ( v1 came with Galaxian but they changed it to Galaga '88 with v2 )

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 02:40:35 pm »
I talked myself out of it.   The monitor is super small.   Also, you know, it's galaga.   Galaga 88 is certainly better but I don't think that one can be hacked.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 09:26:33 pm »
I talked myself out of it.   The monitor is super small.   Also, you know, it's galaga.   Galaga 88 is certainly better but I don't think that one can be hacked.

I have recently modded a few of the 1st gen ones pretty easily, and thought the Gen2 ones would be more difficult, but I already see some LVDS kits to re-use the monitor. The space inside is pretty limiting. Seems a pi might be the best option.

I talked myself out of it too. How many times am I going to buy Galaga? I can already play it on 3 arcades in the house. It's a good looking little machine, I just don't need it. Right? I don't need it... RIGHT?!

Phreakwars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 04:44:54 am »
Was gonna snatch one up just to mod it for my youtube channel, talked myself out of it, have enough arcades going on right now and other projects I want to cover, no room for it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 04:59:57 pm »
Just for the record, when I say hacked I mean hacked as in modifying the firmware to add more games.   I don't know what these folks on youtube are smoking but gutting a machine and putting a pi inside isn't a hack, that's just repurposing a shell.   

The only reason I make that distinction is due to cost.   At 50 bucks, full stop, no extra cost added, this might be a nice little deal with some more games added in.  If you "hack" it by putting at least $50 worth of new electronics inside then you are up to $100 and imho these just aren't worth it.   The buttons are full on mush, the cpo protector is incorrectly cut to go around buttons instead of underneath and the side art tends to have imperfections on it.   I'm not trying to be too harsh on these at $50 but considering they retail for like $200 I feel like it needs to be pointed out.   

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 01:26:34 am »
Just for the record, when I say hacked I mean hacked as in modifying the firmware to add more games.   I don't know what these folks on youtube are smoking but gutting a machine and putting a pi inside isn't a hack, that's just repurposing a shell.   

The only reason I make that distinction is due to cost.   At 50 bucks, full stop, no extra cost added, this might be a nice little deal with some more games added in.  If you "hack" it by putting at least $50 worth of new electronics inside then you are up to $100 and imho these just aren't worth it.   The buttons are full on mush, the cpo protector is incorrectly cut to go around buttons instead of underneath and the side art tends to have imperfections on it.   I'm not trying to be too harsh on these at $50 but considering they retail for like $200 I feel like it needs to be pointed out.

OK Howard let us see you make one of those 1Up Barcades for $50 all in.  You cannot and these "nice ideas by 1UP" are not practical, to an already saturated market.

But history allows the exception like those $75 StarWars cabinets last year.  Great for someone in an apartment or short on cash for a slice of this hobby. 

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 03:53:59 am »

Ha!! At $50, I'm throwing a full blown PC in it, hacking it for a larger screen, doing an Ultimarc servostik with some rollie leaf switches and patting myself on the back for getting a cheap shell to work with and some extra junk PCB and monitor crap to sell on eBay for profit. Truff brother, truff  :burgerking:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 04:21:50 am »

OK Howard let us see you make one of those 1Up Barcades for $50 all in.  You cannot and these "nice ideas by 1UP" are not practical, to an already saturated market.

But history allows the exception like those $75 StarWars cabinets last year.  Great for someone in an apartment or short on cash for a slice of this hobby.

lol   Half a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood is around 20 bucks.   A small 4:3 monitor at goodwill is around 10 or better yet just stuff an old laptop in there.  The 20 dollar controls you can get off flea bay are typically better than what's in the arcade1up.   So yeah it can be done cheaply if you aren't lazy and are willing to actually byoac.... you know, what we are all supposed to be hanging around here for.   

Regardless that is completely irrelevant.   What an end user can build something for and what it's worth are two different things.   Let me give you an example.   A McDonald's toy is surprisingly well made for the price of $3-$5 (what they charge if you don't get the happy meal).   There's no way I could even attempt to make one for that price because I'm not a toy manufacturer, I don't have access to the cnc'd aluminum molds and injection molding machines which would run thousands and even a homebrew solution would be a hundred or so due to the high costs of mold making alginate, ect.   But let's say they started charging $20 for the happy meal toy.   It doesn't matter that I still couldn't make the toy for that price, that is entirely too high for a cheap piece of plastic junk.   That's what we have with the arcade1ups at their retail price point.... they are entirely too high.   If they were made with 3/4 inch plywood or even mdf, included screens with good viewing angles and managed to have good build quality we wouldn't even be having this discussion but none of that is true.   

If you want a quality bartop you buy a kit from one of the fine members of this forum.   Yes it'll be much more than $50, but you'll have a quality build when you are done.   If, on the other hand you want a cheap bartop then you buy this one at $50 and really no more because the components are of so low quality that it isn't worth it to throw any more money at the project.   This is not a hobby of turd polishing..... if you are going to do something you might as well do it right.   

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 06:58:15 pm »
Repurposing the shell is still a good use for these. Calling it a repurpose instead of a hack may be the most crabby old man thing you’ve said.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 10:35:40 am »
Looks like they sold out at Walmart -- Another decent deal from HSN - THey have the PAcman or Ms PAcman Countercades on sale for $99 and if you use the new customer code "HSN2021" you can get $20 off a $40 purchase so winds up being $79.

Not quite as good as the $49 Galaga but the Pacman one comes with Pacman and Galaga ! (ms pac has Ms Pac and Super Pacman )  :cheers:

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 02:38:37 am »
Looks like they sold out at Walmart -- Another decent deal from HSN - THey have the PAcman or Ms PAcman Countercades on sale for $99 and if you use the new customer code "HSN2021" you can get $20 off a $40 purchase so winds up being $79.

Not quite as good as the $49 Galaga but the Pacman one comes with Pacman and Galaga ! (ms pac has Ms Pac and Super Pacman )  :cheers:

Thanks for the info I snagged the MsPacman.  The problem now is where to put it....

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 04:32:11 pm
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 10:16:34 am »

:lol "Hack" is about the most reduced bit of lingo there is. If the movie Hackers came out today, I would assume it is about a bunch of Youtubers doing ugly case mods or finding 50 incredible uses for old milk containers.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 02:49:29 am »
If the movie Hackers came out today, I would assume it is about a bunch of Youtubers doing ugly case mods or finding 50 incredible uses for old milk containers.

No it would be more of this on an extremely larger scale: