Main > Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Forum

How Do I Connect External Speakers to Rowe CD100 Bubbler?

<< < (2/7) > >>

cqlink:

--- Quote from: Ken Layton on March 16, 2021, 01:34:49 am ---70 volt (a.k.a. "high impedance") speaker wiring is different than 8 ohm (a.k.a. "low impedance") speaker wiring.

Rowe's amplifiers don't like anything less than 4 ohm impedance speaker loads lest you damage the amplifier. Remember: Never never never connect low impedance speakers to the 70 volt terminals on the output transformer package. It's like a dead short to the amplifier.

When I worked for an operator with over 100 jukes on the route, many locations were taverns or restaurants which had existing 70 volt ceiling speakers they wanted connected to our jukebox. Depending on the number of 70 volt ceiling speakers will give you an idea of how much lower you must set the jukebox speakers to prevent exceding the amplifier wattage available.

Rowe's amplifier is 250 watts (in reality two channels of 125 watts each). So for each channel you do not ever want to excede 125 watts or even come close to it. As an example, many of our locations had 4 of the 70 volt speakers on each channel. If the wattage taps on the 70 volt speaker's transformer were all set to 10 watts that would equal 40 watts total. I would set the jukebox's internal speaker taps (on the output transformer package to E3 (that would be roughly 50 watts going to the jukebox internal speakers). So 50 watts plus 40 watts equals 90 watts (perfectly safe for the amplifier and should give you even sound coverage in your room).

Also, be advised to check your local electrical regulations regarding speaker wiring. Here in Washington state, if you do your own speaker wiring in residential or commercial buildings, you now need to be a fully licensed electrician (or use one who is) for "high voltage" (a.k.a. 70 volt) speaker wiring or get a permit for "low voltage" (a.k.a. 8 ohm) speaker wiring. It never used to be that way, but government now regulates who can hook up speakers. That's why I don't do it any more.

--- End quote ---
Great feedback Ken.  highly appreciated.

That said,  If I'm understanding correctly,  I'll move the internal jukebox speaker wires from the E7 tap to the E3 tap for each channel. 

If I use the speakers noted via the link above, I'll adjust the dial on each to say,  10 watts. 

I'll have the (+) and (-) ends of the speaker wire from both speakers running back to the jukebox. 

Connect the (-) end to one of the E1 taps and the (+) end to the E4 or E5 tap inside the jukebox?

Ken Layton:
If you use 70 volt speakers, they connect to the terminals marked 70 volts in the jukebox. You never connect 70 volt speakers to the "E" terminals.

cqlink:

--- Quote from: Ken Layton on March 16, 2021, 11:44:12 am ---If you use 70 volt speakers, they connect to the terminals marked 70 volts in the jukebox. You never connect 70 volt speakers to the "E" terminals.

--- End quote ---
Thanks again, sir.  I didn't see dedicated 70v terminals in my jukebox (Antique Apparatus Bubbler/ Rowe-AMI CD100) but I'll recheck. 

Ken Layton:
This drawing from the CD100 volume 1 field service manual shows the location of the 70 volt speaker terminals.

cqlink:

--- Quote from: Ken Layton on March 17, 2021, 01:58:18 am ---This drawing from the CD100 volume 1 field service manual shows the location of the 70 volt speaker terminals.

--- End quote ---
Perfect!  Thanks Ken :cheers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version