Main > Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Forum

How Do I Connect External Speakers to Rowe CD100 Bubbler?

(1/7) > >>

cqlink:
As the Subject bar suggests, can anyone tell me how to connect a pair of external speakers to my Rowe CD-100?

I see where the taps are but not sure how to connect the two wires from each external speaker (if that's how it's done).  I've plugged a Bluetooth device to the RCA jacks in the compartment above the amp.

I realize this is likely asked 20x a year.  Thanks in advance for help :cheers:

Ken Layton:
Speaker connections are detailed in the Field Service Manual set (volumes 1 & 2) which should be located in a dark blue plastic pouch inside the jukebox.

External speakers connect to the terminal strips on the "output transformer package" assembly.

cqlink:

--- Quote from: Ken Layton on March 12, 2021, 12:39:54 am ---Speaker connections are detailed in the Field Service Manual set (volumes 1 & 2) which should be located in a dark blue plastic pouch inside the jukebox.

External speakers connect to the terminal strips on the "output transformer package" assembly.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Ken,

I plan to run two 8-ohm speakers in series back to the amp.  I think the speakers need to be 70v (or less?)

As my jukebox sits,  everything is stock.  Violet wire is connected to E7 left channel tap.  Pink wire is connected to the E7 right channel tap.  Black wire is on the E1 left channel tap.

Would I simply connect the (-) wire from the last speaker in the series to either channel E1 (common) tap and the (+) wire from the same speaker to one of the other open taps based on the power I want to provide them?  I.E,  the (+) wire from the last speaker to say,  one of the E3 taps?

cqlink:
I've also noted many speakers have adjustable tap settings.  Thinking of adding 2 - 4 of these speakers in my ceiling.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-DCS8T-Commercial-Ceiling-Business/dp/B08BLNJ9XR/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=2x2%27+drop+ceiling+speaker+8+ohm&qid=1615843509&sr=8-20

Ken Layton:
70 volt (a.k.a. "high impedance") speaker wiring is different than 8 ohm (a.k.a. "low impedance") speaker wiring.

Rowe's amplifiers don't like anything less than 4 ohm impedance speaker loads lest you damage the amplifier. Remember: Never never never connect low impedance speakers to the 70 volt terminals on the output transformer package. It's like a dead short to the amplifier.

When I worked for an operator with over 100 jukes on the route, many locations were taverns or restaurants which had existing 70 volt ceiling speakers they wanted connected to our jukebox. Depending on the number of 70 volt ceiling speakers will give you an idea of how much lower you must set the jukebox speakers to prevent exceding the amplifier wattage available.

Rowe's amplifier is 250 watts (in reality two channels of 125 watts each). So for each channel you do not ever want to excede 125 watts or even come close to it. As an example, many of our locations had 4 of the 70 volt speakers on each channel. If the wattage taps on the 70 volt speaker's transformer were all set to 10 watts that would equal 40 watts total. I would set the jukebox's internal speaker taps (on the output transformer package to E3 (that would be roughly 50 watts going to the jukebox internal speakers). So 50 watts plus 40 watts equals 90 watts (perfectly safe for the amplifier and should give you even sound coverage in your room).

Also, be advised to check your local electrical regulations regarding speaker wiring. Here in Washington state, if you do your own speaker wiring in residential or commercial buildings, you now need to be a fully licensed electrician (or use one who is) for "high voltage" (a.k.a. 70 volt) speaker wiring or get a permit for "low voltage" (a.k.a. 8 ohm) speaker wiring. It never used to be that way, but government now regulates who can hook up speakers. That's why I don't do it any more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version