Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mounting Joystick on Plywood  (Read 1719 times)

Richardgregory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2021, 01:15:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Mounting Joystick on Plywood
« on: March 06, 2021, 09:52:13 pm »
I managed to obtain a longer shaft for a Sanwa joystick, and so I'm planning to mount it underneath the CP built of 3/4" plywood.  Since plywood is more forgiving that MDF, could I mount a joystick by directly securing the screws into the wood instead of using them threaded metal inserts, then installing the screws into them?

Thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Mounting Joystick on Plywood
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 10:48:50 pm »
Since plywood is more forgiving that MDF, could I mount a joystick by directly securing the screws into the wood instead of using them threaded metal inserts, then installing the screws into them?
MDF will easily pulp if you try to loosen and retighten a screw so you need threaded inserts for that application.

Plywood doesn't pulp like MDF does so you can use wood screws or threaded inserts for that application.

Scott

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 11:15:15 pm »
The screw wouldn't be using the full 3/4"(probibally more around 1/2") if it is what I am thinking, and all the stress would pull the screws out of wood in a short time...Personally I would incorporate a steel plate with more screws to spread out the stress if possible.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 11:53:51 pm »
Screws will hold just fine into plywood, won't be an issue..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 10:51:31 am »
I still like the threaded inserts even when I use a plywood control panel.  I believe it was PL1 that linked the video I used to install them.  Basically it involves getting a couple screws and cutting off the head to make a jig for your drill press.  You use the drill press unpowered to install the inserts and it keeps them nice and square.  I like the thinner threads of the brass EZ LOK ones.  Even though they said don't use them for MDF I've used them in MDF with this install method and they worked great.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:24:30 am »
I still like the threaded inserts even when I use a plywood control panel.  I believe it was PL1 that linked the video I used to install them.  Basically it involves getting a couple screws and cutting off the head to make a jig for your drill press.
I think Rodney was the first one around here who posted this drill press video.
I decided to use brass inserts, I you tubed a cool way to install these things.  Works really well.

Scott

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 11:45:11 am »
Yep its a great method.  Not sure I agreed with his slot orientation.  I bought a kit that had an install tool with the EZ LOK inserts and the install tool required that slot to be facing up.  I've used that install tool to extract them because if the slot is facing down you might have trouble just using the pressure from a nut.  I know because I installed one that way last month and needed to pull it when I realized my pilot hole wasn't deep enough.

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 03:00:21 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 01:36:53 pm »
In my old cab I had a 3/4" MDF control panel with my sticks installed underneath with 4 coarse wood screws each. 12+ years later they still haven't moved. So, into plywood you will likely be just fine.

The one thing that might make it an issue later, is if you want to swap out or repair your sticks, and have to remove and re-install them. A couple times and the holes might lose a little hold. However, Id say if that happened, at that point you easily could just widen the holes, and install the inserts at that point.

Cheers.