Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bartop Cab - looking for someone who setup player 1 and player 2 this way  (Read 1524 times)

ssdesigner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2022, 01:31:34 pm
  • I'm a llama!
So I'm putting in my Sanwa sticks today and trying to wrap my head around the 4-way/8-way conundrum. I play a fair amount of MAME and NES, and 99% of this cabs use will be me alone.

My question is: how easy is it to setup player 1 (left side) to be a 4-way for Pac-man etc and allow it to switch to 8-way when 2-players want to play, while leaving player 2 (right side) always in 8-way and trying to make games default to this for 1 player 8-way games and when 2 people want to play it (the right side joy) knows that it is now player 2? Is this possible with enough configuration? Anyone else done this?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
Two ServoStiks will auto switch both players from 4-way to 8-way upon selecting the game.  I don't think you need to get more complicated than that. 

How were you planning on switching the Sanwas you already have?

ssdesigner

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
I'm already selling the two Ultra-stiks that I have for Sanwa sticks. I'm kind of miffed at the performance of the Ultras, but that's a longer story. ;)

I was planning on popping the control panel up and swapping the clear 4/8-way restrictor plate on the player 1 side should I ever have 2 people wanting to play 8-way simultaneously. The rest of the time it's just me playing either a 4-way or 8-way single player game. That's why I was wondering if I could have all games default to using player 2 joystick on the right for 8-way single player play.

randjamal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 10:22:34 am
My CP is setup the way you describe, with the 1P stick switching from 4/8 way and the 2P stick always 8 way. It works for me. Most of the two player 4 way games aren't simultaneous. There may be a few out there, but not enough for me to justify setting both joysticks up to rotate (I'm doing a DIY servostick for P1).

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:56:52 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
My CP is setup the way you describe, with the 1P stick switching from 4/8 way and the 2P stick always 8 way. It works for me. Most of the two player 4 way games aren't simultaneous. There may be a few out there, but not enough for me to justify setting both joysticks up to rotate (I'm doing a DIY servostick for P1).

This diy servostik you speak of...
Any build thread forthcoming on this?
 ;D
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

ssdesigner

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!

Very cool! So on what level did you start with joystick controls? I'm using a Pi3 and retroarch so there are a number of levels to controls.

randjamal

• Offline Offline
I'm not sure I understand your question. Mine is a standup cab with an asymetrical layout of trackball, spinner, and two joysticks with an ipac connected to windows.

randjamal

• Offline Offline
This diy servostik you speak of...
Any build thread forthcoming on this?
 ;D

There really isn't much to it. I took a knockoff Sanwa JLW, then flipped the restrictor plate over and inserted longer bolts with a nylon washer to allow the plate to rotate. Epoxied on a control horn then attached it to a servo. It's all controlled via a rocker switch on the underside of the CP (it's not automated). I'm working on a second cab now that will have a fully automated system driven by a circuitpython board. I'll document that once I have it up and running.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:56:52 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
This is awesome. :cheers:
Thanks for sharing the details on how you did it.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.