Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do I enable Asteroids Deluxe backdrop?  (Read 3200 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
How do I enable Asteroids Deluxe backdrop?
« on: March 02, 2021, 03:57:13 pm »
Looks like Core Artwork Options changed in MAME .212.  I'm using .217 and trying to get the backdrop to show in Asteroids Deluxe.  Is there an easy way to do this? 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: How do I enable Asteroids Deluxe backdrop?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:25:34 pm »
Looks like Core Artwork Options changed in MAME .212.  I'm using .217 and trying to get the backdrop to show in Asteroids Deluxe.  Is there an easy way to do this?
1. Save the new astdelux.zip layout file from Mr. Do's (Updated 2020-11-22) in your ..\mame\artwork\ folder.
- Leave it zipped.
https://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_ingame.php

2. Launch Asteroids Deluxe.

3. TAB for MAME menus -- Video Options -- Screen #0.

4. Highlight whichever option you want and press ENTER.
- If all you want displayed is the backdrop and blue color filter for the vector lines, select "Atari_Classics_Backdrop".

*** NOTE: Do not select Video Option "Cocktail" for the Asteroids series games in a cocktail cabinet.  Go into the Machine Configuration menu and change the cabinet type from upright to cocktail to enable screen flipping for P2. ***

Scott

javeryh

• Offline Offline
How do I enable Asteroids Deluxe backdrop?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 10:44:23 am »
1. Save the new astdelux.zip layout file from Mr. Do's (Updated 2020-11-22) in your ..\mame\artwork\ folder.
- Leave it zipped.
https://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork_ingame.php

2. Launch Asteroids Deluxe.

3. TAB for MAME menus -- Video Options -- Screen #0.

4. Highlight whichever option you want and press ENTER.
- If all you want displayed is the backdrop and blue color filter for the vector lines, select "Atari_Classics_Backdrop".

*** NOTE: Do not select Video Option "Cocktail" for the Asteroids series games in a cocktail cabinet.  Go into the Machine Configuration menu and change the cabinet type from upright to cocktail to enable screen flipping for P2. ***

Scott

Thanks.  I should have explained more in my initial post.  I have the astdelux.zip file from Mr. Do's website downloaded and in my artwork folder (zipped).  When I go into Video Options during the game, it is set to "Screen 0" already but there are no other options at all.  I cannot change this setting.  I hit "enter" while Screen 0 is selected and nothing happens.  No other menu pops up with choices.

"artpath" in mame.ini is set to "artwork" (standard setting)

Under CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS I only see:

Code: [Select]
artwork_crop        0
fallback_artwork
override_artwork

I do not see:

Code: [Select]
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop 0
use_backdrops 0
use_overlays 1
use_bezels 0
use_cpanels 0
use_marquees 1

which I think appeared in older versions of MAME based on THIS thread over at mameworld. 

I added these lines to mame.ini and enabled them ("1") but no difference.  This is what the Video Options screen looks like for me. 

If I hit enter I can change Color Overlay from white to blue.  Hitting enter on Screen 0 Standard (4:3) or Screen 0 Pixel Aspect (1045:789) does nothing at all.

I'll be bummed if I just so happen to have selected a version of MAME that ditched the artwork only for it to reappear in a later version...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 12:21:05 pm »
Looks like the artwork system has been reworked over the last 18 months which puts the version you're running (0.217) in the early part of that process.   :embarassed:

https://mrdo.mameworld.info/
SITE UPDATE - November 22, 2020
In-Game Artwork: 85 new sets; 88 additional sets updated

What a year 2020 has been. Through it all, MAME has still kept plugging along, and it looks like we are going to start seeing regular updates on this site again after today, thanks to recent improvements in the artwork system in MAME, and to new outside contributors helping with artwork cleanup. Today's update is one of the largest updates we have ever done, so let's get started.

Big thanks to Vas Crabb and MAMEDev, as the artwork system in MAME has seen an overhaul over the last year and a half, culminating with the two most recent releases. And special thanks to hap and Vas for helping me understand how some of the input-related functions work within the LAY file.

IMPORTANT: the element attributes bezel, backdrop, overlay, marquee, cpanel have been deprecated with this new artwork system update. When using existing artwork files, you will see a warning message when running from the command line such as "Warning: layout view 'Upright_Artwork' contains deprecated bezel element." This is just a warning, and all existing files will still work today, but this support will be removed in about a year. All new artwork released, starting today, will be using the new code, and all files on this site will be updated within the next twelve months, if not sooner. Also note that you cannot mix new-style code with deprecated code; it needs to be all one or the other, otherwise, you will get an error similar to "Improperly formatted XML layout file 'default', ignoring." Vas has put together extensive documentation for LAY files on the MAMEDev website.

Which approach do you prefer?

1. Update to 0.227 or newer and use the new artwork system and files.  (easy and more future-proof, but you might need to update ROMs)

2. Roll back to 0.211 and use the old layout/art files. (easy, but you might need to update ROMs)
- If you need the old layout and artwork file(s), I can upload 3 older versions (June 2013, May 2018, and December 2019) if wanted.

3. Stick with 0.217 and try to make the old layout/art files work. (might be easy, might be hard, but no need to update ROMs)
- Since 0.217 was also released in December 2019, this version of the layout file is probably the best place to start.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/iru5z0
- IIRC, this D/L link should be good for 30 days.
- Delete your modified mame.ini and generate a new one. (adding lines like "use_overlays" won't help if the associated function has been removed from the mame executable.)

Scott
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:30:49 pm by PL1 »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 09:11:58 am »
Looks like the artwork system has been reworked over the last 18 months which puts the version you're running (0.217) in the early part of that process.   :embarassed:

https://mrdo.mameworld.info/
SITE UPDATE - November 22, 2020
In-Game Artwork: 85 new sets; 88 additional sets updated

What a year 2020 has been. Through it all, MAME has still kept plugging along, and it looks like we are going to start seeing regular updates on this site again after today, thanks to recent improvements in the artwork system in MAME, and to new outside contributors helping with artwork cleanup. Today's update is one of the largest updates we have ever done, so let's get started.

Big thanks to Vas Crabb and MAMEDev, as the artwork system in MAME has seen an overhaul over the last year and a half, culminating with the two most recent releases. And special thanks to hap and Vas for helping me understand how some of the input-related functions work within the LAY file.

IMPORTANT: the element attributes bezel, backdrop, overlay, marquee, cpanel have been deprecated with this new artwork system update. When using existing artwork files, you will see a warning message when running from the command line such as "Warning: layout view 'Upright_Artwork' contains deprecated bezel element." This is just a warning, and all existing files will still work today, but this support will be removed in about a year. All new artwork released, starting today, will be using the new code, and all files on this site will be updated within the next twelve months, if not sooner. Also note that you cannot mix new-style code with deprecated code; it needs to be all one or the other, otherwise, you will get an error similar to "Improperly formatted XML layout file 'default', ignoring." Vas has put together extensive documentation for LAY files on the MAMEDev website.

Which approach do you prefer?

1. Update to 0.227 or newer and use the new artwork system and files.  (easy and more future-proof, but you might need to update ROMs)

2. Roll back to 0.211 and use the old layout/art files. (easy, but you might need to update ROMs)
- If you need the old layout and artwork file(s), I can upload 3 older versions (June 2013, May 2018, and December 2019) if wanted.

3. Stick with 0.217 and try to make the old layout/art files work. (might be easy, might be hard, but no need to update ROMs)
- Since 0.217 was also released in December 2019, this version of the layout file is probably the best place to start.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/iru5z0
- IIRC, this D/L link should be good for 30 days.
- Delete your modified mame.ini and generate a new one. (adding lines like "use_overlays" won't help if the associated function has been removed from the mame executable.)

Scott

Thanks - that post is exactly what I was looking for to try and understand what has been going on.  Now I need to decide what to do.  Ideally I'd update to .229 and call it a day BUT I also think the mamdevs changed the name of the exe from mame64.exe to just mame.exe.  Even if I could just unzip mame0229b_64bit.exe into my MAME folder to update it is going to break a lot of stuff in my set up and I'm not sure I want to spend days troubleshooting and getting programs pointed at the right exe again.

I'm going to give the lay file you shared a shot by just placing it in my "artwork" folder.  If that works I'm calling it.  This is the last piece of software tinkering I want to do for now.  Of course I update MAME for the first time in a decade to a version that was temporarily removing features!  I think I was on .117 or lower before recently (a year ago) updating everything.  Oh well.

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 12:22:10 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 09:23:11 am »
Can't you just rename it to Mame64.exe?

I fully the understand the resistance to upgrade, though, especially when everything is working fine.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 09:38:04 am »
Jenn got all excited when I saw "Deluxe" as I just parted one out the other day, (horrible experience, even sliced my finger, and it still hurts like hell, at least it quit bleeding)...the backdrop was a blue overlay over a cardboard and mirror thing...Unfortunately I don't know Much about the Mame however...Just a fun story.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:41:16 am by jennifer »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 10:12:25 am »
Can't you just rename it to Mame64.exe?

I fully the understand the resistance to upgrade, though, especially when everything is working fine.

I honestly don't know!  Can I?  Will that break anything?  Is the exe name just the name and it will still work no matter what it's called like a Word doc or something?

I have made so many tweaks and changes to xml files, ini files, samples, etc. plus integrating RocketLauncher, Hypermarquee and HyperSpin with MAME and two monitors that I'm afraid to mess with things on that level.  If I do, I think I'm supposed to install GroovyMAME to fix some audio stuttering issues I'm having in a few games.  But I'm scared LOL.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:14:15 am by javeryh »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 07:46:02 pm »
I'm going to give the lay file you shared a shot by just placing it in my "artwork" folder.  If that works I'm calling it.  This is the last piece of software tinkering I want to do for now.
I figured that would be the easiest path for you -- replace the LAY file and generate a fresh mame.ini.

Ideally I'd update to .229 and call it a day BUT I also think the mamdevs changed the name of the exe from mame64.exe to just mame.exe.
Renaming the 0.229 executable from mame.exe to mame64.exe should work fine.

If you want to easily confirm that:
1. Rename your current 0.217 mame64.exe to mame64_bak.exe.
2. Unzip the 0.229 executable to your mame folder.
3. Rename the 0.229 mame.exe to mame64.exe.

If it doesn't work properly, delete the 0.229 mame64.exe and rename the 0.217 from mame64_bak.exe to mame64.exe.

If it does work properly, any .ini files that have artwork options listed will need to be re-done or if the artwork options aren't needed for that .ini, just delete those lines.
- This is why for any .ini except mame.ini, it's a good practice to include only the sections/variables you need to change with that .ini.

the backdrop was a blue overlay over a cardboard and mirror thing.
Yes.

The Asteroids Deluxe cabinet has a black and white vector monitor facing up and tilted toward the back of the cabinet.

Just above the monitor there is a cardboard bezel with a blue acetate window.

Above that and mounted at about a 45 degree angle, there is a half-silvered mirror that reflects the monitor display.
- Behind the half-silvered mirror you can see a cardboard background with asteroids, a ship, and an explosion.
- The reflection makes the monitor display appear to float in midair between you and the background.

Anyone interested in seeing how these parts were positioned in the cab, see page 28 of the manual here.

Scott

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 01:22:49 pm »
Thanks Scott - such a wealth of information as always!

I used the new lay file without changing MAME versions and it appears to have worked.  I’m not so sure I like the results though!

Here is a shot of Asteroids Deluxe with nothing but the Color Overlay selected:

As you can see, the game takes up most of the real estate, which is great.  But switching the “Atari Classic Backdrop” on and I get this result:

The background appears, which is awesome, but the game itself is much smaller.  Look at the size of the font and how far to the sides things are.  Not sure why would be causing this effect but I definitely like the larger overall picture.

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 01:54:06 pm »
Hell, I just learned the other day that there are WIDESCREEN BEZELS and artwork lol 
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 07:17:57 pm »
The background appears, which is awesome, but the game itself is much smaller.
In the Video Options menu, try changing View from "Full" to "Cropped".

That should chop off the bottom of the background and get the game back to full screen.   :cheers:

Scott

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 01:17:16 pm »
The background appears, which is awesome, but the game itself is much smaller.
In the Video Options menu, try changing View from "Full" to "Cropped".

That should chop off the bottom of the background and get the game back to full screen.   :cheers:

Scott
This did it!  Thanks.

Next up is fixing the audio glitching - starting to drive me crazy and especially noticeable in a game like this where some of the only sounds are a beat meant to get faster and faster as the level gets harder.  Not 100% sure what the issue is but I’m guessing it is frame rate related.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 12:22:10 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 01:05:14 pm »
Per the audio glitches, have you checked to see that the game is running at around 100%? I think the default toggle is F11. I only ask because I had stutters with some vector games while running HLSL, I believe. Turning off the visual effects restored the framerate for me.