Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What are the best settings for a Wells Gardner K4900  (Read 1623 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:47 am
What are the best settings for a Wells Gardner K4900
« on: March 01, 2021, 01:23:49 am »
I understand that this is a low-med resolution monitor, so if i choose those settings in vmaker i get mixed results.

with super resolutions , most games run at 640x480
with regular user modes, switchres picks up odds resolutions for the games, like trying to run games at 1024x768
with getting the video modes from groovymame xml i also get weird modes, like 1024x768

using regular settings ,like a generic 15kzs i get ok results, most games load just fine, but the letters at mame menu look very blurred or distorded.

also i was wondering if theres a groovymame mode list that we can use.

Thanks for any advice.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: What are the best settings for a Wells Gardner K4900
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 03:59:35 pm »
The letters in the menus will look bad on 15 kHz, that's what we have.

I understand your monitor is 15/25 kHz autoswitching (please confirm this, I know nothing about the K4900). If that's the case, choosing arcade_15_25 in VMMaker to generate the modes, with super resolutions, should work fine. Other options should work too, though regular user modes will miss many required resolutions.

Please post an example of a game picking an odd resolution so I can figure out the issue.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:47 am
Re: What are the best settings for a Wells Gardner K4900
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 04:55:42 pm »
The letters in the menus will look bad on 15 kHz, that's what we have.

I understand your monitor is 15/25 kHz autoswitching (please confirm this, I know nothing about the K4900). If that's the case, choosing arcade_15_25 in VMMaker to generate the modes, with super resolutions, should work fine. Other options should work too, though regular user modes will miss many required resolutions.

Please post an example of a game picking an odd resolution so I can figure out the issue.
I guess i just found my mistake, as i was doing just fine at night yesterday, my mistake was not chosing to export settings to groovymame. So today i tested, regular 15 khz plus regular user modes, that works just fine. Using regular 15khz plus super user, i get the felling the games dont run at theyr native resolutions but they look fine. Using medium resolution 25khz plus super user, give the same results, as if i use command line i  cant see the resolution the game is using. using medium resolution plus regular user modes, gives nice results but vertical games cant be loaded, they look scrambled.  Using dual resolution 15/25 khz plus regular user mode, loads most games just fine at theyr native relution, i just got to play a bit with games like tapper as they shake a bit, popeye to shakes a bit, so i got to find a nice resolution for it. Mortal kombat games load just fine, and vertical games load just fine. I use roket launcher for vertical games with a custom bezel, and if you find the correct resolution, they loo nice and ok pluz the bezel fills all the screen, so im happy with that solution for vertical games on horizontal monitor. Ill keep testing but so far it looks my mistake was not exporting settings to mame. Thank you sir Calamity.