Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GUN2CRT, the new universal CRT lightgun adapter  (Read 47557 times)

JayBee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:09:30 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
Re: GUN2CRT, the new universal CRT lightgun adapter
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2021, 05:44:44 am »
Also the psx guns with recoil won't have any advanced feature for the recoil, as they can't be directly controlled by my adapter.
Perhaps  we can separate the recoil system to make this work also

Do we need the component Signal to make your adapter works?
[/quote]
That is indeed entirely possible if you are willing to sacrifice the original gun  :lol
And yes you do need to use the composite signal for the gun to work on crt.
You'd need to add a wire for the solenoid control.
I also considered using a psx port unused pin for that, if the gun wire has it. But it wouldn't be failproof.
So I will see what can be done.

makya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2023, 06:58:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2021, 07:55:02 pm »
Looks great! I guess this is the device a lot of people including me have been waiting for a long time.

I've ordered a GCon already but would also like a gun with recoil. Any recommendation?

Thanks
I must say psx guns with recoil are harder and harder to come by.
But the adapter will also support arcade guns, so if you are willing to get a real arcade gun with recoil and crt sensor in it, it should work ;)

Well, are those arcade guns really easier to find than PS1 recoil guns I wonder.
If you order them from the distributors out there, yes they are easier to find. Not necessarily cheaper tho, just more common.
Also the psx guns with recoil won't have any advanced feature for the recoil, as they can't be directly controlled by my adapter.
Arcade guns feedbacks will be fully supported.

Well I'm not sure I understand what no advanced recoil features means exactly. On a PSX, is the recoil activated when the trigger is pulled or by some feedback signal from the console/game?

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 06:47:18 am
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2021, 10:16:19 pm »

Well I'm not sure I understand what no advanced recoil features means exactly. On a PSX, is the recoil activated when the trigger is pulled or by some feedback signal from the console/game?

I think there can be automatic modes, not only single shots...
-Mars

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2021, 10:34:19 pm »
Looks great! I guess this is the device a lot of people including me have been waiting for a long time.

I've ordered a GCon already but would also like a gun with recoil. Any recommendation?

Thanks
I must say psx guns with recoil are harder and harder to come by.
But the adapter will also support arcade guns, so if you are willing to get a real arcade gun with recoil and crt sensor in it, it should work ;)

Well, are those arcade guns really easier to find than PS1 recoil guns I wonder.
If you order them from the distributors out there, yes they are easier to find. Not necessarily cheaper tho, just more common.
Arcade guns feedbacks will be fully supported.

Advanced features means being able to fully control the recoil and other feedback with my adapter, allowing the fine tune its behavior, and also sync it with in game feedbacks for games that support it (with mamehooker for instance).
On the psx there are no officially supported feedbacks from the console or game, it's only handled by the gun electronic (usually on/off/fullauto modes only).

makya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2021, 06:35:42 am »
Advanced features means being able to fully control the recoil and other feedback with my adapter, allowing the fine tune its behavior, and also sync it with in game feedbacks for games that support it (with mamehooker for instance).
On the psx there are no officially supported feedbacks from the console or game, it's only handled by the gun electronic (usually on/off/fullauto modes only).

Ok thank you for your explanation.

Regarding arcade guns, are there any specification I should look for or anything will be fine as long as it's arcade crt stuff?

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2021, 07:11:21 am »

Regarding arcade guns, are there any specification I should look for or anything will be fine as long as it's arcade crt stuff?
I haven't tested them all yet, but I will publish an officially supported list whenever it's ready  ;D

makya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2021, 08:51:38 am »

I haven't tested them all yet, but I will publish an officially supported list whenever it's ready  ;D

Well noted and thanks for providing us with great gaming gun solutions!

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2021, 07:04:33 pm »
JayBee, would your system be compatible with an actlab lightgun, now that we have identified their pinout?

I'm thinking of ordering another spare gun from them while they still have some, in order to have a pair.

without a box to connect to, they are rather useless...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 11:47:54 pm by Marsupial »
-Mars

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2021, 06:17:56 am »
JayBee, would your system be compatible with an actlab lightgun, now that we have identified their pinout?

I'm thinking of ordering another spare gun from them while they still have some, in order to have a pair.

without a box to connect to, they are rather useless...
I am not sure, but tbh I don't really see the point of doing that since the actlab guns do have very similar functions as my guns.
And it would be a bit of a waste in my opinion, since any cheaper gun will work as well on my adapter.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2021, 11:18:33 am »
Actlab are no longer available, but they still have the red replacement gun available in liquidation for rather cheap.

Don't know for how long.

If they would have been compatible with your system, I'd have snagged one while there's still some.

So, thanks for the info, you just saved me 30$ lol
-Mars

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2021, 11:47:27 am »
Actlab are no longer available, but they still have the red replacement gun available in liquidation for rather cheap.

Don't know for how long.

If they would have been compatible with your system, I'd have snagged one while there's still some.

I see   :lol
Issue here is that even if you have the pinout, we can't be sure about the logic the gun is using.
So it's a bit of a gamble.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2021, 09:21:01 pm »

Don't know for how long.

I see   
Issue here is that even if you have the pinout, we can't be sure about the logic the gun is using.
There is no logic in the gun. The components are directly wired to the box. The logic is all in the box.
-Mars

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2021, 09:41:35 pm »

Don't know for how long.

I see   
There is no logic in the gun. The components are directly wired to the box. The logic is all in the box.
I meant the logic of the sensor and fhe buttons.
I'd bet it's active low for both sensor and buttons, like most guns, but that's not 100% sure.
It could be analog light sensor and handle by the outside board, and active low for the buttons, no way to know without checking the gun inside.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2021, 09:49:32 pm »
That's what I meant, I already poked at the guts of the gun when looking to change the board from their gen 1 to newer model.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=165030.msg1739986.msg#1739986

It is an analog light sensor with zero logic in the gun, the cable is directly connected to the sensor - gnd/5v/sig

The buttons are actively connecting to ground when pressed.

-Mars

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2021, 09:58:42 pm »
That's what I meant, I already poked at the guts of the gun when looking to change the board from their gen 1 to newer model.

It is an analog light sensor with zero logic in the gun, the cable is directly connected to the sensor - gnd/5v/sig

I see. There are still various kinds of 3 pins sensors tho, with this 3 pins it could be logic state or analog, and checking if it's active low or active high is still needed  ;)

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2021, 10:09:19 pm »

I see. There are still various kinds of 3 pins sensors tho, with this 3 pins it could be logic state or analog, and checking if it's active low or active high is still needed  ;)
Being that it was sold in early 2000, I'd bet it's a plain analog sensor, but haven't made specific measurements on it.
Let me know if there's any measurements I can do that would help...
-Mars

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2021, 02:13:08 am »
The Guncon I ordered from Japan finally arrived, I'm so ready for this!

josete2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 10:54:41 pm
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2021, 01:46:28 pm »
Can't wait for ordering...

Purple Tophat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2023, 06:55:15 pm
  • Will pay cash for working time machine
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2021, 01:04:32 am »
Well, here I am trying to get my USB2Gun system finally set up correctly and really struggling to get recoil working and to calibrate the damn Guns properly, but now it seems that that whole setup might be obsolete. Will your system be compatible with Happ guns? You think this is something you might be offering soon? I’d be in. I’ve wanted a good CRT light gun cab for a loooong time and I’m just not having luck getting the USB2Gun working right. I’m not good with the stuff like so many on this board. Anyway, sounds like great work! Looking forward to a finished product!
Unbeatable Mortal Kombat Master

Moksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 09:10:04 am
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2021, 06:02:50 am »
i just bought a crt bang olfuson that happens to just fit right in the cabinet.
i was already thinking ahead with led sensor where to put the sensor, this solution comes at the perfect time if no sensor is needed and accuracy is perfect

Hope to see the project soon
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 04:13:33 am by Moksi »

Gunstar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 08:31:08 am
  • 2d forever
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2021, 04:08:32 pm »
Would GUN2CRT be able to work on an XBox? It's Hard to find good light guns on there and it would be cool to use it on VirtuaCop 3 and HoD3 etc

Moksi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2021, 04:02:25 pm »
Any update how s this progress is going Jaybee   :)

AMG KC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2022, 05:33:52 am
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2022, 08:53:58 am »

Hey guys,

Most of you probably know me already for my GUN4IR system, the lightgun system that works on pretty much any system/screen.

I have been teasing it for a while now, but here I officially announce my next upcoming lightgun system, that this time is focused only on CRT based gun.
It will take the shape of a VGA/USB box that will allow you to plug any Guncon/G-Con45 compatible gun on any system with a CRT screen.

Here are few of the features of that system;
  • Plug and play, just connect the adapter to your device and connect a GCon to it, and you're ready to go.
  • No IR sensor or any other special device needed. As it's using the native GCon protocol, that uses analog CRT raster, it will work out of the box
  • No special software/processing needed. Like my other system, it will have a standard input that works on any system (Windows, Linux, RPi, MiSTerFPGA...)
  • No need for special switches for different video mode. The device should be detecting every video mode automatically and adapt to it.

Here is a small demo of it working on the MiSTerFPGA;

What is the status of this?? I am quite keen to see it up and running and will almost certainly buy one

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2022, 03:44:05 pm »
This project got put on hold due to the global parts shortage, unfortunately.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:45:03 pm
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2022, 11:23:22 pm »
 :'(

Hope all this shortage crud gets sorted out soon.  I wanted one of these.

AMG KC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2022, 05:33:52 am
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2022, 03:07:24 am »
This project got put on hold due to the global parts shortage, unfortunately.

Well that is a shame, seems a couple places having this issue now.

I repair C4 Corvette dash clusters and have been waiting over 12 months to buy a plug in test unit for the later model clusters, but i can't get one because there is no parts available to build the damn things!!!

I am very interested in this project of yours though, will most certainly be keen to buy when you have something ready to go :)

benimaru7

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2022, 06:36:42 am
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2022, 06:36:42 am »
Please put me down for one (or two if two units are needed for two player).
It looks to be the best solution for those with a CRT who don't want to attach IR strips around the screen.

I hope the global shortage will soon be over so these and other parts become available.

Dalba

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 07:08:28 pm
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2023, 05:43:43 am »
Hello,
Is this project still on track ? It seems to be the best way to play lightgun games for CRT holders...
Would it be possible to use it with UMSA ? I was thinking about something like this :   PC output using VGA (CRTEmudriver for 15khz native) --> Gun2CRT (output in VGA) --> UMSA

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2023, 02:10:10 pm »
Hello,
Is this project still on track ? It seems to be the best way to play lightgun games for CRT holders...
Would it be possible to use it with UMSA ? I was thinking about something like this :   PC output using VGA (CRTEmudriver for 15khz native) --> Gun2CRT (output in VGA) --> UMSA
It's on hold at the moment as I need to finish some other projects I have, but I'm planning to get back to it very soon.
Yes the gun2crt box should support most video standards, RGB, yuv and VGA, 15kHz and up, as passthrough and some additional features.
I'm not so sure what UMSA is tho.

Dalba

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 07:08:28 pm
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2023, 02:52:59 am »
Nice to hear this project is still alive !
UMSA is  Ultimate Scart Adaptater. It allow you to plug a PC outputting 15khz signal in a easy way to CRT TV.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 03:10:16 am by Dalba »

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2023, 03:57:24 am »
Nice to hear this project is still alive !
UMSA is  Ultimate Scart Adaptater. It allow you to plug a PC outputting 15khz signal in a easy way to CRT TV.
Ah I see, so it's pretty much a sync and audio combiner with SCART output, very convenient. It doesn't seem to add any latency in the process (unless it's digital processing?) so yes it should work perfectly fine  ;)

purbeast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:28:13 pm
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2023, 12:22:03 pm »
Any updates on this and if it's going to be compatible with Happ guns?

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2023, 02:15:18 pm »
No update yet, I've had my hands full with the other projects lately. But yes it will work with happ guns.
It should be compatible with most of the raster detection based CRT guns in existence :)

purbeast

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2023, 02:54:49 pm »
No update yet, I've had my hands full with the other projects lately. But yes it will work with happ guns.
It should be compatible with most of the raster detection based CRT guns in existence :)

Sounds awesome!

Any time frame that you can give on this?

I'm wondering because I was kind of starting to think about tracking down a USB2GUN and converting my multi jamma light gun cabinet to use a PC with games on there instead.

retroman2022

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2023, 02:25:50 pm
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2023, 01:59:46 pm »
Awsome this project.

javiso85@gmail.com

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2023, 06:38:47 pm
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2023, 04:55:16 pm »
Impressive project!!!

When will be able to purchase this item?

Moksi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2023, 07:50:26 am »
yes hope we can expect it in 2024

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2023, 11:27:29 am »
Light gun for 2024 would be awesome
-Mars

the_77x42

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:24:11 pm
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2024, 06:34:33 pm »
Waiting patiently for this one. I want the purest experience possible, so I'm running GroovyMAME on a multisync Billabs CRT. I don't like the white border of the Sinden and mounting an IR sensor isn't clean either. This seems like the best solution to come along for the community.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 06:36:15 pm by the_77x42 »

purbeast

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2024, 05:13:38 pm »
Waiting patiently for this one. I want the purest experience possible, so I'm running GroovyMAME on a multisync Billabs CRT. I don't like the white border of the Sinden and mounting an IR sensor isn't clean either. This seems like the best solution to come along for the community.

What are you using for your front end?

I am planning on putting together my light gun GroovyMAME setup at some point and was going to just use HyperSpin like I have in my KI2 cabinet, but if there is something else that is better for light gun interfaces, I'd rather use that.