Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GUN2CRT, the new universal CRT lightgun adapter  (Read 48127 times)

JayBee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:52:10 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
GUN2CRT, the new universal CRT lightgun adapter
« on: February 28, 2021, 01:48:29 am »

Hey guys,

Most of you probably know me already for my GUN4IR system, the lightgun system that works on pretty much any system/screen.

I have been teasing it for a while now, but here I officially announce my next upcoming lightgun system, that this time is focused only on CRT based gun.
It will take the shape of a VGA/USB box that will allow you to plug any Guncon/G-Con45 compatible gun on any system with a CRT screen.

Here are few of the features of that system;
  • Plug and play, just connect the adapter to your device and connect a GCon to it, and you're ready to go.
  • No IR sensor or any other special device needed. As it's using the native GCon protocol, that uses analog CRT raster, it will work out of the box
  • No special software/processing needed. Like my other system, it will have a standard input that works on any system (Windows, Linux, RPi, MiSTerFPGA...)
  • No need for special switches for different video mode. The device should be detecting every video mode automatically and adapt to it.

Here is a small demo of it working on the MiSTerFPGA;
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:52:09 am by JayBee »

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
Re: GUN2CRT, the new universal CRT lightgun adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 01:05:36 pm »
Great job!

This is really impressive.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 06:34:01 pm »
I want this!

Would love to use a guncon on an arcade cab using the MiSTer.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 01:08:10 pm »
VGA only?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 01:59:00 pm »
Cant wait for this, GCon has always been the mother of all lightguns :D

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 02:12:19 pm »
VGA only?
VGA is needed to connect from the host to the adapter yes, but the output to the TV/monitor can be either VGA or any RGBs capable cable like scart  ;D

sonik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 10:52:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 03:39:52 pm »
This is amazing!
I'm trying to do exactly something like this. Then i hit a wall... Can't make proper use of the guncon without reading the composite video signal.
My idea was to "glue" two arduino libs. One is a lib to use a PS controller on a arduino (with a very good lib by the way). Another is to use a arduino as a usb mouse. :-P
You plan on making it open source? Also, you say VGA... as as in 31Khz? The original guncon can do it?
If you need any tester count me in! :D

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 04:08:09 pm »
VGA only?
VGA is needed to connect from the host to the adapter yes, but the output to the TV/monitor can be either VGA or any RGBs capable cable like scart  ;D
Living in the USA, I have zero experience with SCART. I've only ever used VGA on old computer monitors.

I have a Trinitron that has component, composite, and S-video. I have a raspberry pi hooked up through composite. I guess that this wouldn't be compatible with the GUN2CRT?

Getting a pi working with the GunCon 1 or 2 sounds like a dream come true.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 01:45:55 pm »
VGA only?

So this thing won't pass through component video if you're using a MiSTer?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 03:08:33 pm
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 02:07:28 pm »
Count me interested in this. The original crt light guns are a level above anything I've seen using LEDs. Following...

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:44:51 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 02:57:47 pm »
Ditto following.

flybynight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 08:33:28 am
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 05:13:16 pm »
Wow this is great. 

I've spent lots on crts guns like usb2gun, actlabs and dabbled with ancient 32 bit windows builds of Acorns wingun guncon drivers. Out of nowhere you come up with this!

How is it tracking and targeting in your video without flashing?

Will it work with groovymame "super resolutions" on crt?

I'll take 2 please :D

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 10:38:28 pm »
Living in the USA, I have zero experience with SCART. I've only ever used VGA on old computer monitors.

I have a Trinitron that has component, composite, and S-video. I have a raspberry pi hooked up through composite. I guess that this wouldn't be compatible with the GUN2CRT?

Getting a pi working with the GunCon 1 or 2 sounds like a dream come true.

So this thing won't pass through component video if you're using a MiSTer?

So far my adapter only works with RGBHV (VGA) connection, but works at any resolution from 240p to 960p.
It also contains a sync combiner that will allow you to use either RGBHV for PC CRT or RGBS for TV screens.
I could add a transcoder/sync splitter if there is enough demand, but it would increase the price and complexity of the device a lot.
And my goal is to keep it simple and affordable for everyone  ;)
But I might consider add on modules in the future, if enough people ask for it.

Count me interested in this. The original crt light guns are a level above anything I've seen using LEDs. Following...

I agree, most led based system are really not that good, and the CRT guns will always be the best for CRT monitors.
However my other advance led based system (GUN4IR) is working fairly well compared this one (I should make a comparison video some day).

To sum up the weakness and strength for each;
Both my IR and CRT system provide the same degree of accuracy
The IR system has a bit lower latency in most cases because you don't have to wait for the raster.
The CRT only works on CRT obviously.
The CRT needs screen flashing for darker games.
The CRT system works better at close distance, the IR at a bit longer distance  ;D

Wow this is great. 

I've spent lots on crts guns like usb2gun, actlabs and dabbled with ancient 32 bit windows builds of Acorns wingun guncon drivers. Out of nowhere you come up with this!

How is it tracking and targeting in your video without flashing?

Will it work with groovymame "super resolutions" on crt?

I'll take 2 please :D
The tracking on games that don't need flashing (most 16 bits games) works super well, it's precise to the pixel and super reactive.
I'd even say it works better than the original guns of those systems thanks to the very good sensor quality of the GCon  :lol
For games that need screen flashing, I added (and currently testing) a screen flashing generator, which would allow the gun to be compatible with anything.
It will of course work with super resolutions, since for vertical pixels the resolution isn't important, only the timing is  ;D

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 12:01:49 pm »
I am completely on board with what you've got here. I just now commented over in sonik's thread (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164677.0.html) about what I tried to accomplish before with a custom flasher program, custom Guncon2 circuit and Topgun drivers (I've posted quite a long time ago about this) but could never get things into a state that would be easy enough for most to duplicate.

To echo that comment I'm very interested in this too! Will it be open source? I could try rigging it up to my flasher program and see how I get on with it...

*phantom edit* just saw your previous comment. Did you end up going the windows gamma ramp route or something else? Gamma ramp worked *ok* but I was never able to get pure white out of some screens, some colors were not affected linearly which cause a bit of a minor offset (ie, wave the gun at a white patch and then over a grey patch, I had a horizontal difference in the mouse cursor)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:05:38 pm by burn_654 »

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 01:01:01 pm »
I am completely on board with what you've got here. I just now commented over in sonik's thread (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164677.0.html) about what I tried to accomplish before with a custom flasher program, custom Guncon2 circuit and Topgun drivers (I've posted quite a long time ago about this) but could never get things into a state that would be easy enough for most to duplicate.

To echo that comment I'm very interested in this too! Will it be open source? I could try rigging it up to my flasher program and see how I get on with it...

*phantom edit* just saw your previous comment. Did you end up going the windows gamma ramp route or something else? Gamma ramp worked *ok* but I was never able to get pure white out of some screens, some colors were not affected linearly which cause a bit of a minor offset (ie, wave the gun at a white patch and then over a grey patch, I had a horizontal difference in the mouse cursor)
A small precision about my system; it's a fully hardware solution, no software involved.
It means no need for screen flashing software or anything else, it will be plug and play. The screen flashing works perfectly already by the way, I will release a demo video soon   ;)
And no, it won't be open source.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 01:27:24 pm »
I don't need any more hype. I'm ready for the order page.  :cheers:

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 03:52:51 pm »
So far my adapter only works with RGBHV (VGA) connection, but works at any resolution from 240p to 960p.
It also contains a sync combiner that will allow you to use either RGBHV for PC CRT or RGBS for TV screens.
I could add a transcoder/sync splitter if there is enough demand, but it would increase the price and complexity of the device a lot.
And my goal is to keep it simple and affordable for everyone  ;)
But I might consider add on modules in the future, if enough people ask for it.

There's no need, I already own a few different rgb to component transcoders. I'm just used to the MiSTer outputting component video directly though the VGA port and the lack of clutter.

I'm also ready to buy!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 04:20:24 am »
So explain this one a little more.   Is the gun going to work if I adapt the vga out to something else, so long as it goes through a crt?   I was thinking component would be a common input method for later model crts.   The gbs and some of the other scalers have some way to output component.   

If this isn't super expensive you've already sold another one.   

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 04:37:14 am »
So explain this one a little more.   Is the gun going to work if I adapt the vga out to something else, so long as it goes through a crt?   I was thinking component would be a common input method for later model crts.   The gbs and some of the other scalers have some way to output component.   

If this isn't super expensive you've already sold another one.
There should also be a rgbs out through some standard video connectors, like the genesis one, haven't decided which one yet.
But yes it's not compatible (yet) with other standards like composite, component or s-video, as those would makes the system way more complex and expensive.
I indeed intend to make it not super expensive  ;D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 08:16:58 pm »
Sounds like I need to rgb mod my crt then.   Been meaning to do it but the dang thing is so heavy I don't like to move it much less take it apart.   I would suggest either the genesis connector or better yet scart as those are the rgb standards.   

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 09:49:42 pm »
Sounds like I need to rgb mod my crt then.   Been meaning to do it but the dang thing is so heavy I don't like to move it much less take it apart.   I would suggest either the genesis connector or better yet scart as those are the rgb standards.
I understand the feeling, it always a pain for me too to do anything on my pvm   :o

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 09:40:41 am »
Two small update videos on the development progress;
They are showing the new resolution detection and processing.
Both games are running on PC this time, to be able to increase the screen resolution to 1024x768@75Hz.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:00:19 am by JayBee »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2021, 05:36:35 pm »
Looks really good. Glad I didn't get rid of my old 17" Dell PC monitor.

Will there be 2 player support?

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 12:15:11 am »
That's looking great. Glad to see drag-fire working for Operation Wolf etc.

Not sure if it's been illustrated yet but I didn't notice it in the Virtua Cop footage, is shooting offscreen reload supported? (right click for mame/demulshooter/pc lightgun games). I prefer that action for that style shooter as opposed to a button reload, which seems to be what was going on with that clip.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 12:28:42 am »
Looks really good. Glad I didn't get rid of my old 17" Dell PC monitor.

Will there be 2 player support?
Yes, there will be a 2 player mode  ;D
But it's not decided yet if it will be 2 players in one box or 2 box daisy chained.

That's looking great. Glad to see drag-fire working for Operation Wolf etc.

Not sure if it's been illustrated yet but I didn't notice it in the Virtua Cop footage, is shooting offscreen reload supported? (right click for mame/demulshooter/pc lightgun games). I prefer that action for that style shooter as opposed to a button reload, which seems to be what was going on with that clip.
Good question. It's not yet supported since I didn't finish my hardware flasher yet, but it will be supported on final product  ;)
Meanwhile I made a dirty offscreen reload hack just for testing  :lol

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2021, 09:36:34 am »
But yes it's not compatible (yet) with other standards like composite, component or s-video, as those would makes the system way more complex and expensive.

I’m assuming a SCART to component converter won’t work in this setup? I have a SONY CRT and like Howard I have not been too interested in doing the RGB mod because of its size and weight. Furthermore I don’t think there’s a lot of benefit visually between the two formats.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2021, 10:01:42 am »

I’m assuming a SCART to component converter won’t work in this setup? I have a SONY CRT and like Howard I have not been too interested in doing the RGB mod because of its size and weight. Furthermore I don’t think there’s a lot of benefit visually between the two formats.
It is possible with a no latency analog transcoder, I've been doing it on mine already  ;)
The issue here has nothing to do with quality, it's just that if I want an easy to work and affordable sync and video signal for the gun adapter and especially the screen flash generator, I need vga in and vga/rgbs out. Any other output format would need some form of transcoding.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2021, 01:06:43 pm »
Anybody got any suggestions for a no latency analog transcoder from VGA to component?

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2021, 01:13:34 pm »
Anybody got any suggestions for a no latency analog transcoder from VGA to component?
This seems nice, and you don't need to use the lm1881 since my adapter will already provide a clean csync  ;)
https://easyeda.com/dekkit/rgb-to-component-transcoder
I'm not entirely sure it's no lag tho, but I guess I could get some of those components to test them out.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2021, 02:33:20 pm »

The GreenAntz one that Zebidee sells on this forum is really nice.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 02:35:21 pm by dmckean »

sonik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 10:52:59 am
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2021, 09:11:21 pm »
Any plans on supporting the guncon2 too via usb? Maybe as a optional addon?

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2021, 09:15:55 pm »
Any plans on supporting the guncon2 too via usb? Maybe as a optional addon?
No plan on that yet, as it would require a usb host chip, which isn't cheap  :o

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2021, 01:59:33 am »

I found the thread about the device and it looks amazing. Thanks!

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 02:04:07 am »

By the way I got some of the previously mentioned cheap transcoding IC, I will see how well they work with my system ;)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2021, 02:11:41 am »

By the way I got some of the previously mentioned cheap transcoding IC, I will see how well they work with my system ;)
Thanks for doing that!

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2021, 02:15:33 am »

Thanks for doing that!
No problem, testing new stuff is part of the fun  ;D

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:27:21 am
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 06:24:11 pm »

Thanks for doing that!
No problem, testing new stuff is part of the fun  ;D

I just wanted to say that the GreenAntz RGB/VGA to YPbPr transcoder should work with GUN4IR, from what I've read here and seen on the YT video.

GreenAntz converts RGB to component colour space, but does not interfere with your video modes. Using a component TV with GreenAntz should be just like using an RGB modded TV or arcade monitor with a PC+CRTEMU/MiSTer/Pi etc.

GreenAntz accepts RGBHV and RGBs inputs. It comes with a "better" sync combining circuit based on XNOR logic that also has some neat deglitching built in, sync-tip clamping and improved sync "mixing" with luma (Y). That means you get a clearer and brighter picture with no loss of colour definition (unlike other low-quality transcoders on market in same "price bracket").

GreenAntz is based on the same circuit you linked earlier JayBee (it was uploaded by my Aussie mate and collaborator "Dekkit"):

That circuit itself is an evolution of a circuit I posted on the Aussie Arcade forums several years ago on another forum:
https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/arcade/arcade-technical-and-repair-questions/monitor-and-chassis-repair-help/99015-pc-rgb-to-component-converter-tv-hack#post2157213

From that "GreenAntz" was born and has been much developed since. It is a collaborative project which has grown from the seed of an idea to something that is actually... pretty damn good, if I say so myself :D

Until I do enough batches and have enough on-hand to justify listing them on ebay etc., I am selling to forum members for US$45 + courier shipping (to USA that is currently $15, maybe less to other countries). That price is strictly limited because once I start listing online I won't undercut.

EDIT: PM me if interested
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:29:44 pm by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2021, 06:48:29 pm »

I just wanted to say that the GreenAntz RGB/VGA to YPbPr transcoder should work with GUN4IR, from what I've read here and seen on the YT video.

GreenAntz converts RGB to component colour space, but does not interfere with your video modes. Using a component TV with GreenAntz should be just like using an RGB modded TV or arcade monitor with a PC+CRTEMU/MiSTer/Pi etc.

GreenAntz accepts RGBHV and RGBs inputs. It comes with a "better" sync combining circuit based on XNOR logic that also has some neat deglitching built in, sync-tip clamping and improved sync "mixing" with luma (Y). That means you get a clearer and brighter picture with no loss of colour definition (unlike other low-quality transcoders on market in same "price bracket").

GreenAntz is based on the same circuit you linked earlier JayBee (it was uploaded by my Aussie mate and collaborator "Dekkit"):

That circuit itself is an evolution of a circuit I posted on the Aussie Arcade forums several years ago on another forum:
https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/arcade/arcade-technical-and-repair-questions/monitor-and-chassis-repair-help/99015-pc-rgb-to-component-converter-tv-hack#post2157213

From that "GreenAntz" was born and has been much developed since. It is a collaborative project which has grown from the seed of an idea to something that is actually... pretty damn good, if I say so myself :D

Until I do enough batches and have enough on-hand to justify listing them on ebay etc., I am selling to forum members for US$45 + courier shipping (to USA that is currently $15, maybe less to other countries). That price is strictly limited because once I start listing online I won't undercut.

EDIT: PM me if interested
Thanks for stepping in, indeed your device seems a great match for my adapter!  :D
I'm also using a xnor sync combiner in my device, so a rgbhv to ypbpr would surely be overkill, but rgbs to ypbpr would be neat.
I'm wondering tho, my adapter supports 480p+ resolutions, but if I understand it correctly your adapter can't have correct color on HDTV modes, right?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:27:21 am
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 07:55:05 pm »
Thanks for stepping in, indeed your device seems a great match for my adapter!  :D
I'm also using a xnor sync combiner in my device, so a rgbhv to ypbpr would surely be overkill, but rgbs to ypbpr would be neat.
I'm wondering tho, my adapter supports 480p+ resolutions, but if I understand it correctly your adapter can't have correct color on HDTV modes, right?

Thanks JayBee   :)

The issue is that component colour space for HDTV is different to SDTV. It will actually work with a HDTV that takes 480p in terms of sync, you will get a solid picture, but the colours will be a bit dulled and "green shifted". It has never been a solution for HDTVs that accept component inputs. In most cases you are better off using RGB/VGA/HDMI etc. anyway (there are exceptions, Wii users for example and I'm sorry for them being caught in-between techs). It comes down to them using a different mathematical formula to extract YUV from RGB for HDTV. For more info with less acronyms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV

Yes GreenAntz accepts composite sync (RGBs) input now - and normal XNOR csync input will still benefit from the deglitching and better sync tip integration to luma. It take what it gets and gives what it gets, just a little bit better.

GreenAntz has always been envisioned as a more affordable solution for retrogamers using older CRT SDTVs that maybe can't be RGB modded, but have component inputs available or can be component-modded. Component modding is often much easier too. This means a great many more TVs available for retrogaming.

When I say affordable: Look, you can pay >US$100+ for a Shinybow or whatever that can do HDTV ok I think. If they are even available. GreenAntz is not competing with that.

GreenAntz is about making best-quality YPbPr transcoding "affordable" and "seamless" for retrogamers using CRTs/SDTVs. For people like you and me. I think that "best-quality" means I am extremely happy with it at both a data analysis and personal level (I am a data analyst, so same thing). "Affordable" means about as much as I'd pay for most decent TVs, which is maybe ~US$50. "Seamless" means once you have your VGA/15khz output device setup, you should be able to just plug in the GreenAntz and use your component TV like any other RGB TV/monitor.
Check out my completed projects!

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 08:45:07 pm »

Thanks JayBee   :)

The issue is that component colour space for HDTV is different to SDTV. It will actually work with a HDTV that takes 480p in terms of sync, you will get a solid picture, but the colours will be a bit dulled and "green shifted". It has never been a solution for HDTVs that accept component inputs. In most cases you are better off using RGB/VGA/HDMI etc. anyway (there are exceptions, Wii users for example and I'm sorry for them being caught in-between techs). It comes down to them using a different mathematical formula to extract YUV from RGB for HDTV. For more info with less acronyms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV

Yes GreenAntz accepts composite sync (RGBs) input now - and normal XNOR csync input will still benefit from the deglitching and better sync tip integration to luma. It take what it gets and gives what it gets, just a little bit better.

GreenAntz has always been envisioned as a more affordable solution for retrogamers using older CRT SDTVs that maybe can't be RGB modded, but have component inputs available or can be component-modded. Component modding is often much easier too. This means a great many more TVs available for retrogaming.

When I say affordable: Look, you can pay >US$100+ for a Shinybow or whatever that can do HDTV ok I think. If they are even available. GreenAntz is not competing with that.

GreenAntz is about making best-quality YPbPr transcoding "affordable" and "seamless" for retrogamers using CRTs/SDTVs. For people like you and me. I think that "best-quality" means I am extremely happy with it at both a data analysis and personal level (I am a data analyst, so same thing). "Affordable" means about as much as I'd pay for most decent TVs, which is maybe ~US$50. "Seamless" means once you have your VGA/15khz output device setup, you should be able to just plug in the GreenAntz and use your component TV like any other RGB TV/monitor.
Thanks for the detailed explanation  :)

About 31kHz+ resolutions on ypbrpr, I was thinking specifically about early BVM/HDTV that had only components in for 480p and up.

But I agree with you, that use case scenario is very small.
I do understand the technical limitations and there isn't much we can do about it, I just wanted to make sure I understood the technical side of the transcoder ;)