Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Chrome T-Molding...showing slight ripples? Normal?  (Read 1033 times)

circusfreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 03:00:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Chrome T-Molding...showing slight ripples? Normal?
« on: February 28, 2021, 12:40:18 am »
Hey folks.
I am just throwing on some chrome T-mold and I am using a wide rubber mallet to hammer it in. I hammer it in gently and then come back though trying to move super slow down the piece to get it as smooth as possible.

Q : It looks pretty good, but if you sight down a piece in the light you can see ripples all the way through the molding. Is that something just inherent to the chrome stuff? I tried using a wood board to hammer on, also tried hitting it with a J-roller afterwards. Still can see those ripples.

Please let me know if there are any hints or tips to get the chrome as smooth as possible. Thanks!!

Rob

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:20:02 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Chrome T-Molding...showing slight ripples? Normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 01:58:37 pm »
"Chrome" T-molding has a mylar (or something similar) laminate over the top of the softer plastic usually used for t-molding. The two different plastics don't really flex in the same proportions to one another, so it's not great for curves or doing anything to it which might deform it.  Large round or square coffee tables are really what that stuff is made for, but even when used in ideal circumstances, you'll often see the shiny stuff completely de-laminate over time, just from thermal cycling.

Because it's highly reflective, you'll see every ripple in the stuff.  Maybe try lightly (!)  rolling on the surface with a wooden roller to make it look uniform.  Try it first with a scrap piece, and keep in mind what I wrote above.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 08:49:28 pm »
I wonder if you might get better results using a hair dryer on low setting to soften the plastic (without melting of course) while using a mallet or roller. Again something to test on an offcut first, I might be completely wrong and don't want your cab to melt.
Check out my completed projects!

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 04:32:01 pm »
Thanks guys. I will try out those ideas.

I know a lot of cabs I have seen have the chrome T on them, and the pictures look great. I haven't seen anyone doing anything different than how I installed it.

I guess I might just be a bit overcritical. It does look really good from almost every angle. It's just not perfectly smooth looking when you sight down the edge.

Attached is a pic of one piece from the side and then straight on for reference.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 06:05:38 pm »
See what you mean, but still pretty small.

Chrome is so highly reflective any minor distortion will show up in some way. In contrast, black T-molding will hide any imperfections. Might be just that they won't show you the pictures with ripples.
Check out my completed projects!

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 06:30:23 pm »
Yeah, I will try a little different technique with a roller on a test piece, but otherwise I'll just be happy with this. Figured maybe someone had a genius idea I hadn't thought of.

Thanks for the feedback!