Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Viewer running on raspberry pi?  (Read 5099 times)

mlcampbe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2022, 10:54:49 am
  • I'm a llama!
Control Panel Viewer running on raspberry pi?
« on: February 25, 2021, 04:32:25 pm »
Years ago I used http://cpviewer.emuchrist.org/ which read the controls.ini file and would show an image of my control panel with the buttons used by each game. It was simple and it worked. I've not moved my setup to run off of a raspberry pi 3b and looking for something similar that will run outside of Xwindows (I am using advanemame which uses SDL). Is there anything that comes close to this?

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Re: Control Panel Viewer running on raspberry pi?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 03:31:57 pm »
Nope.

Gives me an idea though. I use AttractMode for my front-end (which runs outside of X). The layout system of AM is very flexible, and it has a pretty robust set of tools for reading and writing files. For instance, I recently wrote a module for it that parses MAME layouts files and displays the bezels and such with the AM layout. I also have a module that relatively positions content within the AM layout. I could probably use some of the code I used for the MAME artwork along with the positioning module to generate a configurable controls overlay.

That said... I can't remember if ADVMame uses readable controller cfg files or not. I was thinking that last time I tried to open them it was gibberish that I couldn't easily parse. Reading the Pi's controller configuration files is pretty simple, but not sure about ADVMame. It would be easy to read controls.ini files too.

Anyway, the answer is still "Nope." But making the answer "yep" instead sounds like fun. Short term, there's not a good option on the Pi that I'm aware of.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.