Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 'Image Retention' that looks like burn-in on brand new IPS Monitor  (Read 2711 times)

mamenewb100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 03:32:29 pm
So I purchased a brand new Omen IPS 27i Monitor last week. Everything seemed perfect. 165Hertz refresh rate, pretty fast response times for an LCD. However when playing old classic games that use 60 FPS and lower, there is still noticeable motion blur. I temporarily solved this by using Black Frame insertion in RetroArch emulator Frontend. This basically inserts a blank black frame between every other frame over 120 frames instead of the usual 60. This was working amazing with no discernible motion blur. However I was frightened to realize that after only playing a game for literally a few minutes, there remained a ghost of the screen in the game looking just like burn-in from a CRT screen that had been left on a fixed image for several hours or days. The image remains for a good 15 minutes before it completely fades away.

I came to realize this was not actually Burn-In but something called 'Image Retention' that can happen to LCD panels, expect it is only temporary. However it usually only happens when left on the same screen for a long time. This literally happens 30 seconds after using any game that uses Black Frame insertion. I have not had this issue with any other regular game. If the monitor is faulty I don't know why I wouldn't notice other more obvious serious problems. But I have found very few people commenting about the same issues I've been having.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see if I could do a return to see if it fixes the problem. I just have a feeling it may be just a strange glitch with this specific monitor that not many people are ever going to discover.  I took a picture after playing the arcade version of Turtles In Time. You can clearly see a ghost of the player information from the game on the desktop. Thoughts? Ever had this happen on an LCD?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:38:40 pm by mamenewb100 »
Life is a Game and we are all being Played.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:14:04 pm
Re: 'Image Retention' that looks like burn-in on brand new IPS Monitor
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 05:23:43 pm »
That's a weird one. This review could not find any image retention. I would try to swap it if I were you.

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 03:32:29 pm
Re: 'Image Retention' that looks like burn-in on brand new IPS Monitor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 06:55:16 pm »
I found out it only ever happens when  Adaptive Sync is enabled on my monitor and Black Frame Insertion  is used. Very weird but actually talked to an admin over at Blur Busters and he said it's a known problem with some LCDs I guess. My monitor seems to work fine for anything else. Just sucks that I can't smooth motion without a strange effect.
Life is a Game and we are all being Played.