Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New cabinet build named... 'ehukai !  (Read 6347 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:38:35 am
  • I'm TRYing to build arcade controls!
Re: New cabinet build named... 'ehukai !
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2021, 11:09:47 pm »
Well, if my Mai Tai recipe line up gets past the bots then all is well
 >:D

This concoction is probably most responsible for this build- and depending on how you feel about the S.S. Marshmallow you may want to avoid the mixture.
If anyone wants the details/ratios I'll happily post the recipe for a legitimate Mai Tai here  :)

Anyway, I had a few minutes while waiting for the oil in the generator to drain (and no, even though now I have primary line poles and a transformer next to my house, I STILL do not have grid based power yet...) so I figured I could burn a few moments on the cabinet.

If anyone made a load center appropriate for these things I would probably use it.

I can say that after cluing in on some tips from people here FAR better at it than I, my soldering skills are coming along- so thanks y'all !
Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:34:03 pm
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2021, 12:26:44 am »
One thing I'll say about electrical stuff.

I often have a few whiskeys while I'm doing my wiring, it seems to help lubricate things along a bit better.

But when dealing with mains voltage stuff at 110/220v+, leave it until the morning (or after a sleep) before turning it on. Occasionally I've found accidental (stupid) surprises left by my former inebriated self.
Check out my completed projects!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:24:43 am
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2021, 02:16:45 am »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:07:28 pm by jennifer »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2021, 05:00:50 am »
That wire seems quite extreme and excessive dude, Never seen anything quite like that in a arcade machine...What is that 10ga.

12g solid thhn sister!  Overkill for sure.

I wind up with a LOT of scrap wire in my work life and seems a shame to toss it when I can use some for such purposes  ;D

Another thing I could be rightfully accused of hoarding I guess.
Got a regular rats nest of it I need to sort through.
Probably could build 100 cabinets with what I have on the floor of the shop at the moment!

One thing I'll say about electrical stuff.

I often have a few whiskeys while I'm doing my wiring, it seems to help lubricate things along a bit better.

But when dealing with mains voltage stuff at 110/220v+, leave it until the morning (or after a sleep) before turning it on. Occasionally I've found accidental (stupid) surprises left by my former inebriated self.

A wise suggestion!
I think I am following this rule without even thinking of it.

Most days at work (like today) I have my hand in a live panel, and occasionally I'm working on live circuits outside of one for the sake of expediency.
I have a great respect for the destructive force of electrons and their search for the ground.  ;)

I have a lot of things left yet to do in this life, so I am actually very cautious.
Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2021, 05:27:05 am »
Had a few minutes after dinner to try to do something and got all motivated.

Mounted some usb plugs under the control panel for console controllers to use with the MiSTer.

Then it occurred to me that I hadn't actually seen how the monitor and bezel were going to fit together actually inside the cabinet at the same time, so I couldn't help but try to stuff the monitor in there and...

It's alive!!!

Need to get better signal cables for the amp since it buzzes like mad.

Now if I don't get some controls in that panel this week and get some software in the PC sorted it will make me nutty.

A few more details to figure out but I think it will actually work.
 :o

Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2021, 06:04:20 am »
I know there's a long way to go, but looks awesome already.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:35:09 pm
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2021, 09:34:34 am »
That looks fantastic.  Like something made in a factory.   :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2021, 09:35:57 am »

This concoction is probably most responsible for this build- and depending on how you feel about the S.S. Marshmallow you may want to avoid the mixture.
If anyone wants the details/ratios I'll happily post the recipe for a legitimate Mai Tai here  :)

Please and thank you!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:40 pm
    • Bella's Arcade
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2021, 09:39:59 am »
Looks great - hard to believe it's made out of plywood.  You are getting so close to finishing!  Couple more of those Mai Tais should do the trick.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2021, 12:33:05 pm
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2021, 10:20:38 am »
Whoa that control panel is way too shiny.  Gonna be hard to play with the glare.....

Ha just kidding...I'm just jealous I don't have the patience to create glossy finishes.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2021, 02:42:43 pm »
I know there's a long way to go, but looks awesome already.

Thanks Zebidee. And you are correct about a long way yet.
Some light leakage issues and the back panel are all that's left for the box itself I think.
I think I'll have more fun with what is left.
I'm stoked to have a good platform to learn more about the software side of all this too.

That looks fantastic.  Like something made in a factory.   :cheers:

It is good enough for me, but given the company in these parts I think it only merits a B- actually.
I aspire to the fit and finish produced by many here!
My next one will be better.
 :)

Looks great - hard to believe it's made out of plywood.  You are getting so close to finishing!  Couple more of those Mai Tais should do the trick.

I have discovered through this build that a mix of good plywood and mdf is the way to go in future builds.
There are places where it is silly not to take advantage of the different properties of the materials and had I used mdf in spots with this one it would have saved a LOT of time and frustration!

Whoa that control panel is way too shiny.  Gonna be hard to play with the glare.....

Ha just kidding...I'm just jealous I don't have the patience to create glossy finishes.

This has been a concern!
All other surfaces surrounding the screen actually are a matte finish at the moment (only sanded to 400) due to worries about glare.
I have been thinking that maybe the control panel will need to get knocked down a bit but we will see after some playing.

Thanks y'all for tagging along for the mayhem!  :cheers:
Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2021, 03:09:23 pm »

Please and thank you!

Sorry- almost forgot wp34!

A sailor's drink for sure.  Lots of rum  :)
There is a long running debate about who came up with the Mai Tai originally.
A real one does NOT have a bunch of orange or pineapple juice in it!

Here is my take, with a substitute for one type of rum that was purportedly $60k/ bottle.

Big glass with a lot of ice
*Juice of one whole lime- freshly squeezed.
  To get the most out of it, before you cut it in half, give that lime a good solid pressure roll across the cutting board until it is squishy.  Then split and squeeze.  The more lime juice the better!

Equal parts (1 oz is a good measure for a reasonably sized drink.  I often double this  >:D )
*Simple syrup (If you have trouble finding any, it's just equal parts cane sugar and water- warmed up to dissolve.)
*Orange curacao
*Dark rum (Pussers Gunpowder Proof, Kraken or Captain Morgan Black- something with molasses!)
*Amber oaked rum (Bacardi Oakheart or Spiced)
*Orgeat syrup

2 parts
*White rum

Pour over your ice.
At this point I usually give the lime halves another last squeeze- you'll get some more juice out of them by now.
Stir and enjoy!

Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2021, 05:10:09 pm »
YUM YUM

Use real fresh-squeezed limes every time, mark of a true bartender. Don't use that lime cordial stuff in the bottle, throw it away (but recycle the bottle :) )

Real sailors need real lime to fight scurvy!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:40 pm
    • Bella's Arcade
« Reply #173 on: Yesterday at 10:01:13 am »

Please and thank you!

Here is my take, with a substitute for one type of rum that was purportedly $60k/ bottle.

To get the most out of it, before you cut it in half, give that lime a good solid pressure roll across the cutting board until it is squishy.  Then split and squeeze.  The more lime juice the better!

Equal parts (1 oz is a good measure for a reasonably sized drink.  I often double this  >:D )
*Simple syrup (If you have trouble finding any, it's just equal parts cane sugar and water- warmed up to dissolve.)
*Orange curacao
*Dark rum (Pussers Gunpowder Proof, Kraken or Captain Morgan Black- something with molasses!)
*Orgeat syrup

2 parts
*White rum

Pour over your ice.
At this point I usually give the lime halves another last squeeze- you'll get some more juice out of them by now.
Stir and enjoy!

I may need to start drinking again.   :drool

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: Yesterday at 10:36:52 am »

Please and thank you!

*Orange curacao
*Orgeat syrup

2 parts
*White rum

Pour over your ice.
Stir and enjoy!

Thanks!  I may try this on Saturday.  Your lime tip makes a lot of sense.   :cheers: