Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VMMaker Question  (Read 1363 times)

tonyt76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 10:06:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
VMMaker Question
« on: February 20, 2021, 10:54:10 pm »
In VMMaker under Edit Settings > Video Card there is a checkbox for (Add modes from mode list).

What exactly does this option do?

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: VMMaker Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 10:29:03 am »
That option only applies to EDID emulation. By default a virtual EDID is created with just one single modeline (640x480). Checking that option adds the rest of calculated modes into the virtual EDID. This has some niche uses but generally it is discouraged, specially when usign super resolutions, because Windows will likely set the desktop to a super resolution on its own and produce an unusable desktop.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:45:23 pm by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:36:47 am
Re: VMMaker Question
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 12:32:29 pm »
Wow thanks. This explains a lot  :o

Today I've been testing a composite sync input upgrade for the GreenAntz transcoder (so you can feed it csync via VGA as well as H+V).

Just found out that if you tick that "Add modes from mode list" box and are swapping between composite sync and H+V sync, frequently changing polarities and regenerating modeline installs, you can end up by default in this "640x480@30i" mode. Which I think is what Calamity is talking about. The modeline looks almost the same as "640x480@60i", including polarities, except under the oscilloscope where you can see the vertical part of the CRTEMU generated composite sync is inverted (positive). It goes the wrong way for normal csync. It can leave you with an unusable desktop on a TV, making it difficult to sync and fix things.

Don't know if that is a bug, but now I know don't tick that box!
Check out my completed projects!