Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Full size upright cabinet kits  (Read 6232 times)

dth930

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2022, 01:24:17 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Full size upright cabinet kits
« on: February 08, 2021, 02:25:49 pm »
Does anyone make full size upright cabinet kits that can use a vertical CRT monitor?  I'm looking for something like a copy of an old Pac Man or Donkey Kong cabinet.
 - Dave

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Full size upright cabinet kits
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 03:16:04 pm »
Most crew here are pretty personable, but due diligence on research before asking questions or you may find yourself fast-tracked to no replies!
Just so you know.

https://www.arcadeshop.com/d/16/arcade-cabinets.htm

https://www.mameroom.com/webstore.asp?categoryID=43

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

dth930

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 04:29:05 pm »
I saw those in my research, which is what led me to post this message.  There are lots of things similar to what I want but nothing exact.  If I was using an LCD this would be a slam dunk, but the CRT makes it more difficult.  Most of these are only available assembled, which means $$$ for shipping. 

The Arcadeshop cabs aren't even available to order at the moment.

The North Coast kit only accepts LCDs.  Their Pac and DK cabs are along the lines of what I'm looking for, but only available assembled.

After seeing those, I thought that someone here might know a place that offers those styles of cabs as a kit.
 - Dave

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 05:48:20 pm »
Yeah, depends on where you live too.

Lots of companies are out of things these days which a year ago were a non issue to find.

If you have the space and time making your own cabinet is awesome.

Many here have built very nice machines without having all the fanciest of tools and a cabinet making workshop.

The other thing you may want to look into is getting one cut and then piecing it together.

Have you seen these yet?

https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/pacman.html

Depending on your woodworking background, one of these with an 85% or better confirmed accuracy might be the way to go if you can find someone with a CNC machine to cut the pieces for you.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

dth930

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 01:27:06 am »
I don't have the time or the space for a build like this.  But if I could get the parts I'd be able to assemble it.  I could probably even cut all the pieces besides the sides.

I didn't realize there was such a large database of designs.  I'll have to look for someone local with a CNC router.  I wonder what a whole cabinet would cost.
 - Dave

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 01:29:28 pm »
Hey Dave,
Have you dug through the Project Arcade section yet?
The gentleman most responsible for the whole BYOAC universe has literally written the book on this stuff:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,15717.0.html

Pretty much anything you can think of has been asked somewhere around here- and probably by someone near where you live.

Hard to say about cost.
Material and labor is really expensive in my neighborhood so a good quality finished cabinet with molding, graphics, casters, doors,etc. would be approaching $2000.
And that's not any of the guts- power distribution, monitor, PC, sound system, controls and interface, etc.

Most people you'll find around here build their own and it easily becomes an obsession- even if you don't have much time or space.

You really only need 3 sheets of good quality 3/4" plywood, some screws and glue and then whatever you want to do for cosmetics.
If you have a router and slot cutter bit then you can put on some real T molding and with some hinges or coin door, control panel clamps and marquee stuff- voila.

Then you have the platform to build a system inside and see what you want for controls.

Read up as much as you can before you start and you will end up with a result that takes less time, looks and plays better and maybe even costs less too.
It really is a lot of fun.

Aloha,
Bobby