Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mapping Controls to Retropie?  (Read 6396 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Mapping Controls to Retropie?
« on: February 07, 2021, 03:14:17 pm »
I'm just about finished with my bartop and Retropie is up and running.  I just installed a zero delay encoder and mapped my controls (one joy, 6 action buttons, 4 admin buttons) but I'm not sure how to change basic behavior...

During initial mapping process, I set the 6 buttons set to:

Y X L
B A R

And the front 4 buttons to:

L2 --- Select-Start --- R2

The "Hot Key" is Select.  Exiting games is mapped to Select+Start (not obvious). Ideally I''d like it to be L2 (hold down for 1500 milliseconds) but I'm not sure how to reconfigure things. 

Also, on a per emulator or even per game basis I'd like the controls to be different.  I was just playing Super Punch-Out!! and Y is left punch and B is right punch, which is dumb - it should be B for left punch, A for right punch and R for the super punch (with the top row of buttons not being used). 

I assume once I learn how to change things it will just be time consuming to get all the games set up, which I can live with but I need someone to point me in the right direction.

:cheers:

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
Re: Mapping Controls to Retropie?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 04:42:49 pm »
See my reply in your bartop thread.  If you still need to fix a control let me know which emulator core it is.  You said Super Punch-Out but not sure which platform you were running it on.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 02:32:48 pm »
See my reply in your bartop thread.  If you still need to fix a control let me know which emulator core it is.  You said Super Punch-Out but not sure which platform you were running it on.

Thanks!  I missed your response in my thread somehow.  I was able to figure out how to change button mapping on a per core (emulator) and per game basis.  I am running:

Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
NES
SNES
Arcade
Atari 2600

That's it for now.  NES and Game Boy Color are super easy (* is N/A):

B A *

Atari 2600:

A * *

The rest are weird and I need to go through the games to see what feels right.

Game Boy Advance is currently set for:

* * L
B A R

which is the default set up but I don't think it makes sense... should probably be:

L R *
B A *

SNES is a disaster.  It is also set to default:

Y X L
B A R

But doesn't make sense in a lot of games.  Like in Mario, Y is run and B is jump which is super awkward.  In Super Metroid, X is shoot which is dumb too.  So that is going to take some time to go through the games to see what works.

Arcade... who knows.  Hopefully most games are OK where all I need is the bottom row (buttons 1, 2 and 3) but I'll know more when I get into it.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 09:07:21 am »
Yeah I basically started with the NES bartop design from the hall of fame post but I had to redesign the whole thing for a wide screen monitor and I decided to reduce the 6 button on the right to only 3 buttons.  I figure if a game needs more than 3 I just won't play it.  So I have the joystick, select and start in the middle, and 3 buttons on the right.  And I'm building 2 copies of the bartop at the same time.  I'm about done and they look pretty awesome.  Gonna run RetroPie in both of them except for the one I'm keeping I will be able to swap out the Pi and run the MiSTer FPGA.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 10:30:46 am »
Yeah I basically started with the NES bartop design from the hall of fame post but I had to redesign the whole thing for a wide screen monitor and I decided to reduce the 6 button on the right to only 3 buttons.  I figure if a game needs more than 3 I just won't play it.  So I have the joystick, select and start in the middle, and 3 buttons on the right.  And I'm building 2 copies of the bartop at the same time.  I'm about done and they look pretty awesome.  Gonna run RetroPie in both of them except for the one I'm keeping I will be able to swap out the Pi and run the MiSTer FPGA.

If I could change one thing about my build it would be to go from 6 buttons down to 3 buttons.  No one is ever going to use all 6.  Initially my son said he wanted to be able to play Street Fighter so that's why I went with 6 but practically speaking, it's a 1 player cabinet and Street Fighter isn't that fun by yourself.  The cab is fun, although no one but me plays it (family prefers the stand-ups and I can't blame them).  I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing Tetris DX and DK'94 yesterday, which is something none of my other cabinets can do.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 10:51:12 am »
Cool...

Oh and the other thing I have is 2 USB jack on the bottom front so I have USB clone versions of the NES and SNES controllers to get an original feel when I want.

OldHanrahan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2021, 06:12:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 03:00:49 pm »
HI,
This caught my interest. I'm about to build my 1st Bartop with a Pi and I the kit I'm buying has a centre button on the front panel - so coin/player1, coin/player2 on the left and right and a button in the centre for hot key I presume, but I was thinking it might be better to use that for a 2 port USB connection - which is what you've done, isn't it?
Seems like a good idea for controllers and perhaps keyboard access etc.
Are you happy with this config? Mine also has 6 bottons per palyer which will never get used on the retro games I'l play, but looks good!
Cheers
OH