Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Midway's lost "NBA Jam" style baseball game added to MAME  (Read 1985 times)

DarthMarino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:16:09 pm
Midway's lost "NBA Jam" style baseball game added to MAME
« on: February 01, 2021, 11:52:17 am »
After the success of NBA Jam, Midway set out to make a baseball game with the same fast-paced, over-the-top style. They enlisted the help of Incredible Technologies since they had mastered the trackball with their Golden Tee Golf games. The trackball was eventually dropped and several other revisions were made before ultimate cancelling it. A full build of one of the trackball versions has been discovered and added to MAME.

The controls are pretty crazy. Besides the trackball, it requires 5 buttons. I made a video playing on a trackball (with an SNES controller to handle the buttons).

I've spend a decent amount of time with it. The crazy controls will mostly likely prevent anyone from enjoying it. I mapped it to a standard modern controller and it works reasonably well but it still takes some getting used to. The game is fun but but there are certainly things that could have been fixed. There is some serious "keep scores close" going on. Usually, I'll start off hot and get 9 runs in the first inning and then CPU will have a 15 run inning shortly after.

This article details the history of the game and is worth a read for fans of 90's Midway games.

https://gamehistory.org/powerupbaseball/

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Midway's lost "NBA Jam" style baseball game added to MAME
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 12:25:06 pm »
Thanks!  What version of MAME are you using with this?

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:16:09 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 12:28:49 pm »

I had to compile my own since they added it after 0.228. There may be a nightly build available with it. Otherwise, it will be in 0.229.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 12:47:35 pm »
Thanks for posting this! Since reading the article I was curious how soon people would starting adding it to their cabs.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 02:31:12 pm »

I had to compile my own since they added it after 0.228. There may be a nightly build available with it. Otherwise, it will be in 0.229.

Thanks!  :cheers: