Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME 0.264 - Switchres 2.220b  (Read 110086 times)

B2K24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
Re: Groovymame 0.236 - Switchres 2.002c
« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2021, 12:22:09 pm »
Thank You, Calamity!!  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2021, 12:28:13 pm »
thank you!

tronads

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2021, 06:07:08 am
  • CRT or nothing.
« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2021, 10:34:45 am »
Thank you :-)
Is the by any chance an Arcade only build, or will anyone be creating one ?

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2021, 09:57:47 am »
I am comparing the mame.ini from the new version to my old version and in my mame.ini I have autosync 1 but I noticed that option is missing from the new ini.

Should I remove that line? Is it depreciated or something?

edit: never mind. it looks like it was moved from "CORE PERFORMANCE OPTION" to "OSD FULL SCREEN OPTIONS" for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 09:29:14 am by DaddyLongLegs »

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2021, 12:39:37 pm »
Woah I just noticed the weirdest issue in the world with 0.236 that I did not have with 0.235.

So I went to play some Carnevil, and it didn't load (it worked just fine in 0.235 a week earlier). All I am getting is a black screen and the computer locks up; I can't get out of anything.

I noticed other games were not giving me issues, and the only thing I could think of was that Carnevil is a higher-resolution game than most. So I tried a few other high res games like Golden Tee Fore 2003, and those made GroovyMAME lock up, too!

I don't know what made me do it, but I put ini files in MAME/ini/presets; one for carnevil.ini and one for gtfore03.ini. For both of them, I have this inside:

Code: [Select]
syncrefresh 0
waitvsync 1

And that completely fixes the issue! Also, it ONLY works if that code is in the individual INI files for each hi res game. If I put that code in mame.ini, it still crashes on hi-res ROMs.

Do you have any clue as to what's going on? Why is it only happening with groovymame 0.236? I am pretty sure I did the upgrade process correctly...I updated my ROMs from 0.235 to 0.236, and compared the values in the 0.235 mame.ini with the 0.236 mame.ini.

What is going on and why is that odd solution working?

If it helps solve the mystery, I have attached my mame.ini that I am currently using for 0.236. (it's named .txt because that's all I am allowed to upload)

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2021, 09:30:39 am »
I am also now getting very worbly/warped audio from games as basic as VS Super Mario Bros when I never had that issue before with 0.235. I have no clue what could be causing it.

Here is my updated MAME.INI which did not make any difference.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2021, 11:43:28 am »
I am also now getting very worbly/warped audio from games as basic as VS Super Mario Bros when I never had that issue before with 0.235. I have no clue what could be causing it.

Disable syncaudio in mame.ini.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2021, 11:45:13 am »
So I went to play some Carnevil, and it didn't load (it worked just fine in 0.235 a week earlier). All I am getting is a black screen and the computer locks up; I can't get out of anything.

Thanks for reporting. This seems to have been introduced by the most recent "fix" for interlaced modes odd speed. I'll look into it. It happens when a game switches from interlace to progressive mode. To workaround it you may disable changeres in mame.ini.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2021, 02:09:13 pm »

Thanks for reporting. This seems to have been introduced by the most recent "fix" for interlaced modes odd speed. I'll look into it. It happens when a game switches from interlace to progressive mode. To workaround it you may disable changeres in mame.ini.

Wow, I am just happy to hear I contributed for once! And also that it wasn't something I did :)

Thank you as always for everything!

edit: Should I just leave changeres to 0 permanently? Are there really any MAME games that change resolution during the game?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:22:43 pm by DaddyLongLegs »

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2021, 02:14:56 pm »

Disable syncaudio in mame.ini.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Any reason I didn't have to change that in the previous version?

Edit: Unfortunately I tried it and now instead of "worbly" warped audio, the music literally skips entire notes. Again this is with a very basic game like VS Super Mario Bros and I did not experience this with 0.234. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:10:16 pm by DaddyLongLegs »

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:30:01 am
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2021, 04:23:34 am »
Have you checked your CPU usage? Maybe that's actually your root cause of audio problems. I've had this in the past when I've been using a less-than-optimal graphics library (one that isn't using hardware acceleration).

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2021, 06:56:24 am »
0.236 still working beautifully for me on the LCD front.

Using a Ryzen 5600X now I can push frame_delay even further than with the 9700K, I can set 8~9 stable even on relatively heavy games like the Cave cv1k, when before I was limited to ~7 with the Intel.
Even if the GPU performance matters quite a lot for flat panel users who don't own VRR hardware, the CPU's raw thread performance definitely plays a major role too.

Note as I've already mentioned before: the little 'bug' that makes a vsync_offset value set in the UI for game 'X', carry over to a different selected 'Y' game for which you had not set anything yet, is still there.
Also, a previously set vsync_offset value might be erased if you do a change in intermediary bios or device pre-game setting menus (for instance if you select a different bios for a neo-geo game you had played previously)
But those are very minor annoyances, probably specific to UI, users just need to remind.

Oh and still about saving sliders and cv1k : tweakers need to know that 'blitter delay' must be turned on in 'machine configuration' then reset the game, before even starting to adjust blitter and CPU from the 'sliders' menu.
And yes all the settings do save in the cfg files, I've just checked with 0.236

Anyway, thanks as always nice to see Groovy still kicking.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 10:57:04 am by schmerzkaufen »

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2021, 02:07:00 pm »
Have you checked your CPU usage? Maybe that's actually your root cause of audio problems. I've had this in the past when I've been using a less-than-optimal graphics library (one that isn't using hardware acceleration).

So the CPU is a Core i7 930 running at 4ghz (it's overclocked). When I look in task manager and I have GroovyMAME running, it only shows about 12% of the CPU is being utilized, even when running a crazy intensive game like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 that runs at like 8 fps.

I am taking it my CPU should be showing something more like 100% utilization when GroovyMAME is running?

Also what's the graphics library and how do I change it?

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: October 10, 2021, 04:38:23 am »
So the CPU is a Core i7 930 running at 4ghz (it's overclocked). When I look in task manager and I have GroovyMAME running, it only shows about 12% of the CPU is being utilized, even when running a crazy intensive game like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 that runs at like 8 fps.

I am taking it my CPU should be showing something more like 100% utilization when GroovyMAME is running?

Also what's the graphics library and how do I change it?

I think if your CPU is 12% then everything is fine and it's not that. If it was closer to 50% or more than that could be an issue as I've found these issues happen for me (on Arch Linux at least) around there. But it's also odd that you have a game struggling at 8fps and you aren't CPU limited. 🤔

donluca

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #174 on: October 10, 2021, 07:02:57 am »

This is the consequence of the incredibly irritating parroting that has been happening in the last 2 years: your CPU has 8 threads and MAME IS STILL A SINGLE THREADED PROCESS.
100% / 8 threads = 12.5% which is what you're seeing, a single thread capped at 100%.

Sure, there might be some minor stuff which is offloaded to other cores, but the bulk of MAME IS SINGLE THREADED.

Hopefully people will stop this idiocy of telling people that you get benefit from multicore processors in MAME.

/vent

EDIT: to add something more constructive, the new Ryzen Zen 3 processors have amazing single threaded performance, if you're looking for an upgrade to your current setup look at the passmark result on its website: they have multi core and singlethreaded performance benchmark results which will help you choosing the best CPU.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:00:37 am by donluca »
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

makya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:40:11 pm
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2021, 11:26:39 am »
Hello, please anyone knows what is the v_shift_correct setting for? thanks in advance

EDIT: nevermind, I found it here -> https://gitlab.com/groovyarcade/support/-/wikis/3-Post-Installation-and-Maintenance/3.9-Configure-System-Wide-Switchres
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:53:58 am by makya »

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2021, 02:16:05 pm »

This is the consequence of the incredibly irritating parroting that has been happening in the last 2 years: your CPU has 8 threads and MAME IS STILL A SINGLE THREADED PROCESS.
100% / 8 threads = 12.5% which is what you're seeing, a single thread capped at 100%.

Sure, there might be some minor stuff which is offloaded to other cores, but the bulk of MAME IS SINGLE THREADED.

Hopefully people will stop this idiocy of telling people that you get benefit from multicore processors in MAME.

/vent

EDIT: to add something more constructive, the new Ryzen Zen 3 processors have amazing single threaded performance, if you're looking for an upgrade to your current setup look at the passmark result on its website: they have multi core and singlethreaded performance benchmark results which will help you choosing the best CPU.

Thank you so much.

It would cost me a pretty penny to upgrade. Would I see a game like Marvel vs Capcom 2 run at full speed in MAME if I went to a Ryzen Zen 3?

I would also prefer to run games like House of the Dead 2 in MAME because DEMul is really old and I have all sorts of weird issues with it. Like for one, after about 20 minutes of playing House of the Dead 2, the game exists full screen mode and becomes a Window. So weird.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2021, 03:38:11 am »
I'd give a try to Retroarch + flycast core for Dreamcast / Naomi games. Since Retroarch 1.9.5, Calamity and I have helped to integrate the switchres code usde in GM into Retroarch. Works for Windows as well as Linux.

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2021, 04:44:19 am »
Would I see a game like Marvel vs Capcom 2 run at full speed in MAME if I went to a Ryzen Zen 3?

Before you think about updating your CPU, try running MAME with the verbose logging option and see what video/audio driver options you have and which ones it is autoselecting. You may find that switching them in the mame.ini will give you a huge reduction in CPU.

faxesystem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2024, 07:42:21 am
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2021, 12:34:54 pm »
When trying to change options and saving them, I get the following error. "Caught unhandled 25options warning exception exception: illegal boolean value for keepaspect "48";reverting to 1" Also found other threads that mentioned this problem but no solution so far. What can be done so that I can save the config without Groovymame crashing and showing the error message? Thank you.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2021, 07:17:07 am »
When trying to change options and saving them, I get the following error. "Caught unhandled 25options warning exception exception: illegal boolean value for keepaspect "48";reverting to 1" Also found other threads that mentioned this problem but no solution so far. What can be done so that I can save the config without Groovymame crashing and showing the error message? Thank you.

Does this only happen with GM?
Steps to create a log:

italospain

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:10:19 pm
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2021, 12:16:43 pm »

same here

yes only GM (MAME Vanilla works)

peterson65

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 09:27:12 pm
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2021, 08:42:58 am »
so what are the best ini settings to stop screen tearing on new switchres 2? tripplebuffer used to work great for me but not sure how to get it good now, didn't notice it until I ran rampage word tour and its looks bad? thanks

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2021, 10:13:38 am »
so what are the best ini settings to stop screen tearing on new switchres 2? tripplebuffer used to work great for me but not sure how to get it good now, didn't notice it until I ran rampage word tour and its looks bad? thanks

I get no tearing here.

Option -triplebuffer is gone. Instead, use -waitvsync -nosyncrefresh.
Steps to create a log:

peterson65

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 09:27:12 pm
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2021, 10:40:07 am »

I get no tearing here.

Option -triplebuffer is gone. Instead, use -waitvsync -nosyncrefresh.

thanks I will try that tonight after work. I recently redid my hard drive and started from scratch .  ;)  I have a copy of my mame.ini on a flash drive with me, I see the waitvsync  but don't see nosyncrefresh? do I need to add it somewhere. thansk
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:00:50 am by peterson65 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.237 - Switchres 2.002d
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2021, 03:46:41 am »
GroovyMAME 0.237 is out!

What's new in Switchres 2.002d (October 2021)

- [Windows] Fix bug that caused interlaced modes to lock screen updates.

- Fix bug that caused an exception when saving configuration after doing changes from the ui.

- Make -vsync_offset slider setting not propagate between different games when launched from the ui.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2021, 03:49:18 am »
Note as I've already mentioned before: the little 'bug' that makes a vsync_offset value set in the UI for game 'X', carry over to a different selected 'Y' game for which you had not set anything yet, is still there.
Also, a previously set vsync_offset value might be erased if you do a change in intermediary bios or device pre-game setting menus (for instance if you select a different bios for a neo-geo game you had played previously)

The first problem (vsync_offset carrying over to a different game) should be fixed now. The second (when selecting a different bios) I couldn't check it, so it might still exist.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2021, 03:51:18 am »
thanks I will try that tonight after work. I recently redid my hard drive and started from scratch .  ;)  I have a copy of my mame.ini on a flash drive with me, I see the waitvsync  but don't see nosyncrefresh? do I need to add it somewhere. thansk

command-line -nosyncrefresh equals syncrefresh 0 in mame.ini. Anyway you don't edit that in mame.ini but in an ini for the particular game you need.
Steps to create a log:

italospain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2021, 05:20:04 am »
thanks for the new version

but the error saving the Configuration still pops up

greetings

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2021, 05:55:03 am »

greetings

I swear it was working yesterday  :dizzy:
By the way, this is a bug in baseline as far as I understand. GM just exposes it as it does automatic option setting.
Steps to create a log:

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2021, 08:17:54 am »
Thank you Calamity for the latest version!!!!  :)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2021, 10:52:03 am »

greetings

Are you using Windows or Linux?
Steps to create a log:

italospain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2021, 02:53:20 pm »

greetings

Windows 10

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2021, 03:42:28 pm »

greetings

Windows 10

There's a new release on github's site that should fix the problem, please check it.
Steps to create a log:

italospain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2021, 04:27:56 am »
nice

now it works  :applaud:

thanks

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2021, 11:18:32 am »

The first problem (vsync_offset carrying over to a different game) should be fixed now. The second (when selecting a different bios) I couldn't check it, so it might still exist.

To me both look fixed, congrats !  :cheers:

(EDIT: I've only tried the latest 2.002e)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 11:37:01 am by schmerzkaufen »

opossumita

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 05:12:19 am
Re: Groovymame 0.237 - Switchres 2.002e
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2021, 07:08:24 am »
Hi all, sorry for the stupid question, which romset do I have to use for GroovyMAME 0.237? Thanks.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:06:39 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2021, 12:39:00 pm »
which romset do I have to use for GroovyMAME 0.237?
You should use a 0.237 ROMset.
- The further apart the ROMset and MAME versions are, the more things have changed.

If you have trouble finding the latest version, some people start by finding a recent ROMset then download the corresponding version of MAME, MAMEUI, or GroovyMAME.   :cheers:

Scott

opossumita

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 05:12:19 am
« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2021, 10:17:13 am »
Thanks for reply.  :) At the moment I'm using GM 0.237 with a ROMset marked 0.237 (merged). The problem is when I launch certain games MAME gives me the warning message "One or more ROMs/CHDs for this machine are incorrect. The machine may not run correctly." The funny thing is this warning message pops up randomly, and sometimes launching the very same game I get no warnings. Is there a way in Groovymame to skip these checks and warnings once and for all? I know it's possible with NoName Mame, I don't know about Groovy build. Nevertheless I would like the game infos to appear all the same. Please help! :dunno

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2021, 02:51:09 am »
That may not be your exact issue but in regards to games that refuse to launch with a warning, if I remember correctly, the merged and split romsets require the matching version 'bios and devices' romset too.
Only the non-merged romset doesn't require additional roms (but is noticeably larger).

Then in regards to warnings, yes many games show those anyway even if they work.
There is a 'skip_warnings' option in the ui.ini, tho I have never used it personally so I don't know if it's enough to hide all warnings.