Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First upright build-Tully Cabaret Plans.  (Read 44573 times)

lomoverde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: First upright build-Tully Cabaret Plans.
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2021, 04:15:02 am »
Hey nice! Digging the new art  :applaud:

Cheers bud,me too !

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2021, 04:18:30 am »
Probably about 5 hours before I can look at anything.  Did you still want that center fixed into a circle?  Yeah the buttons I imported are probably a little tricky because they came in as square images with white backgrounds.  I used the fill tool to fix the white corners but it still didn't look good so then I drew a pink circle that just fit over the button and used it as a clip mask.  You would probably need to release the clip mask to edit the underlying object or maybe there is a shortcut to select it.  The buttons are really for show you would want to disable that layer and have center points or circles for drilling like you suggested.  You could just draw two lines in a plus sign shape for a center point.  Group the two lines and copy it for the other buttons.

Hey mate,think Im all good now with the art.Just need to match the carriage bolts with whatever joystick i get.
 Honestly cant thank you enough for what you did.In fact everyone who helped with comments.This place is cool. :applaud:

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2021, 08:26:33 am »
Heres where Im at today then:

I really like the text added,might have to play with the positioning and font a little.
I fixed the round joystick surround,but hadnt realised it was the bigger oval which is actually round on the original.This is made up of a few circles and arcs in the inkscape file  :dizzy: so may just leave it as is. ;D

Thinking of maybe re arranging the action buttons.my preferred layout is a bit tight.Might bring the 2 bottom buttons closer to form a triangle.Most of my games will be 2 buttons anyway.

All told I am so happy with how its looking.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:47:35 am by lomoverde »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2021, 09:06:34 am »
Yeah I thought it was the big circle we were talking about yesterday.  It wouldn't be too hard to fix but I think what you have there looks fine.  The main thing is if the center is fixed into a circle it impacts all those arcs beside the circle.  Regarding the button placement I like my buttons a little different than that.  Buttons 1 and 2 are fine but I like the 3rd button up closer to the height of the 2nd button because if I lay my fingers curved onto a table and view where they land my index finger is lower than the other 2 but the 2nd and 3rd finger land fairly even horizontally.  But if you move the 3rd button up it might cover up the sperm shot...lol.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2021, 09:23:52 am »
Yeah I thought it was the big circle we were talking about yesterday.  It wouldn't be too hard to fix but I think what you have there looks fine.  The main thing is if the center is fixed into a circle it impacts all those arcs beside the circle.  Regarding the button placement I like my buttons a little different than that.  Buttons 1 and 2 are fine but I like the 3rd button up closer to the height of the 2nd button because if I lay my fingers curved onto a table and view where they land my index finger is lower than the other 2 but the 2nd and 3rd finger land fairly even horizontally.  But if you move the 3rd button up it might cover up the sperm shot...lol.

Yeah Id arrange the buttons different usually,but it does indeed cover the money shot.I should go thru my game list and see how many 3 button games i actually have.

I think its looking cool just the way it is now anyway.Cant thank you enough for the leg up mate  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2021, 09:51:08 am »
Yep no problem I like doing vector work.  You might need to adjust the yellow to match your paint job but that yellow is kinda cool if you want to repaint the cabinet... :)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2021, 10:12:52 am »

I really like the text added,might have to play with the positioning and font a little.
I fixed the round joystick surround,but hadnt realised it was the bigger oval which is actually round on the original.This is made up of a few circles and arcs in the inkscape file  :dizzy: so may just leave it as is. ;D

Thinking of maybe re arranging the action buttons.my preferred layout is a bit tight.Might bring the 2 bottom buttons closer to form a triangle.Most of my games will be 2 buttons anyway.

Love it.  Scrolling through this thread and looking at where you started to where you are currently is really fun.  Some more minor suggestions:

- Instead of the P1 and P2 "people" icons label them "Start 1" and "Start 2" using the same black font you are using on the rest of the CP.  The people icons look out of place - nothing else on the CP is white besides the buttons (which I might actually change to black if you haven't ordered them yet).

- What games do you want to play that require 3 buttons?  Are there any "must haves"?  Given the space, I think 2 action buttons would fit better but if you want to play games with 3 buttons then you have to squeeze them in.  I'm trying to think of games I play and Bank Panic and Asteroids are all I can think of but Asteroids is 5 buttons and can be mapped to the joystick.  I don't play beat-em-ups or bullet hell games though so I may be missing out on a lot of 3 button games.  If you do go down to 2 buttons, you can mirror the start buttons for symmetry.

That's really all I've got - it looks great.   :applaud:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2021, 10:26:09 am »
The "people" icons came from the original artwork.  The original looked like it made the start buttons dual use and the action buttons were on both sides for left or right handed players.  I myself wouldn't change it but if you did want it to be similar you could do that.  I would probably work in 3 buttons on the right either way.  Make it setup for Asteroids. ;)

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2021, 11:31:09 am »
Yeah Id arrange the buttons different usually,but it does indeed cover the money shot.

You should arrange the buttons so that you are comfortable playing. "My fingers hurt like hell!" "But the CP looks cool!"

Also, don't forget to include the marks for drilling. Getting the holes right will be very tough without them.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2021, 01:28:33 pm »

Love it.  Scrolling through this thread and looking at where you started to where you are currently is really fun.  Some more minor suggestions:

- Instead of the P1 and P2 "people" icons label them "Start 1" and "Start 2" using the same black font you are using on the rest of the CP.  The people icons look out of place - nothing else on the CP is white besides the buttons (which I might actually change to black if you haven't ordered them yet).

- What games do you want to play that require 3 buttons?  Are there any "must haves"?  Given the space, I think 2 action buttons would fit better but if you want to play games with 3 buttons then you have to squeeze them in.  I'm trying to think of games I play and Bank Panic and Asteroids are all I can think of but Asteroids is 5 buttons and can be mapped to the joystick.  I don't play beat-em-ups or bullet hell games though so I may be missing out on a lot of 3 button games.  If you do go down to 2 buttons, you can mirror the start buttons for symmetry.

That's really all I've got - it looks great.   :applaud:

Ill have a look at the PL1/PL2 later.I can see what you mean about them looking slightly out of place.Im thinking tho just a thicker outline could blend them in? Or black fill?  Ill have a look at all angles tho.

Buttons I bought a selection of different colours earlier in the build.Annoyingly only 3 of every colour tho :banghead:
This afternoon Ive altered the carriage bolt spacings.Im going straight thru the panel as MikeA suggested.
The hole pattern ive based it on is the U360 which Im thinking of giving a go to.Unless you are thrilled with the servostik ?(my second choice) I have a zippy and a eurostick that seem to have same hole patterns but Im not getting anything printed until Im sure.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2021, 01:32:14 pm »
The "people" icons came from the original artwork.  The original looked like it made the start buttons dual use and the action buttons were on both sides for left or right handed players.  I myself wouldn't change it but if you did want it to be similar you could do that.  I would probably work in 3 buttons on the right either way.  Make it setup for Asteroids. ;)

The original does indeed have duel lazer/bomb buttons.
I want the 3 buttons,Ill probably just make the bottom 2 closer together.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2021, 01:35:29 pm »

Also, don't forget to include the marks for drilling. Getting the holes right will be very tough without them.

Cheers mate,ive actually just drawn small circles and placed them in the middle of each one.They are there under the button graphic. ;)

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2021, 02:42:27 pm »
The hole pattern ive based it on is the U360 which Im thinking of giving a go to.Unless you are thrilled with the servostik ?(my second choice) I have a zippy and a eurostick that seem to have same hole patterns but Im not getting anything printed until Im sure.

I have both a U360 and a ServoStik and I prefer the click of the ServoStik over the floatyness of the U360.  I also like how for 4-way games the stick cannot hit the diagonals at all.  If you do get a U360 I would put an octagon restrictor plate underneath so you can still hit all 8 directions definitively.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2021, 03:45:09 pm »

I have both a U360 and a ServoStik and I prefer the click of the ServoStik over the floatyness of the U360.  I also like how for 4-way games the stick cannot hit the diagonals at all.  If you do get a U360 I would put an octagon restrictor plate underneath so you can still hit all 8 directions definitively.

OK,I just fancied the U360 as it had a built in encoder.I dont want to be buying extra parts if i can help it.Ive got a zero delay here I can use in the mean time.Ill go servostik.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2021, 03:53:11 pm »
Been enjoying myself tweaking the CPO:

I like the look of this way.

This even more so.However I think Id be forced to label the buttons also,as per the original,and for symetry.But Laser/bombs and ???

the black icons look ok,but I think Im going to stick with the white,with a heavier outline:

These decisions are difficult for me to make as Im just digging that art so much right now and anything looks good.But Im all about authenticity these days  :laugh2: :laugh2:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:10:37 pm by lomoverde »

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2021, 11:08:10 am »
Just a quick update on progress.My second marquee arrived.Totally happy with this one.
 The first guy i used charged me to restore the scramble marquee artwork,not a lot,and has a policy of not releasing the artwork files to the client after sending prints.Is this usual?
The second one was printed from the image I found online and looks identical to the restored one.

Anyway the coin door arrived today,i felt more than a little relieved when it fit just right,having cut the hole what seems an age ago.

Also i ordered the U360 stick.Id wanted the servostik but the shop i was using didnt have the control boards in stock.
 I intend to replace the U360 with the servostik.I just wanted to get things moving and when the stick arrives Ill be ordering the CPO.

So Im hoping the U360 and servostik share the same hole pattern.Ive looked about,on slagcoin and the Wiki here,and cant find out for sure.

Anyway a bit of progress has been made.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2021, 11:19:19 am »
That looks fantastic.   :cheers:

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2021, 12:30:57 pm »
Great looking cabinet!  Coin door definitely makes it look 1000x better than not having one.

In my experience (once LOL), a commissioned artist should provide all of the drafts and the finished product to you so you can reproduce it as many times as you want.  Maybe this is something that you need to state up front?  I didn't though and got everything sent to me...

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2021, 03:00:33 pm »
Great looking cabinet!  Coin door definitely makes it look 1000x better than not having one.

In my experience (once LOL), a commissioned artist should provide all of the drafts and the finished product to you so you can reproduce it as many times as you want.  Maybe this is something that you need to state up front?  I didn't though and got everything sent to me...

He does actually state on his website that he doesnt release the files,but then he couldnt provide the promised prints....anyway its all put down to experience now.

Amazed to recieve the U360 today,i was expecting at least a week longer for delivery.In hindsight i could have waited for the servostik control boards to be in stock.

So i opened up the CPO design again,and hadnt even thought about the dust washer covering the art like it will.So Ive had to adjust it a bit.Problem is I cant have both the arrows and text.So its one or the other i think:

Im leaning towards the text version.
Ive also removed the black circle around the joystick as it will be covered anyway.

If I get this sent away,the end is in sight  :applaud:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:03:59 pm by lomoverde »

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2021, 03:18:10 pm »
Go to Focus Attack and order a smaller dustwasher cover for $0.95.  The one that comes with the Ultimarc sticks is big.  You can get 31mm diameter dustwashers and spray paint the bottom whatever color you want.  I did this for my cabinet - came out great.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2021, 03:44:22 pm »

He does actually state on his website that he doesnt release the files,but then he couldnt provide the promised prints....anyway its all put down to experience now.

Amazed to recieve the U360 today,i was expecting at least a week longer for delivery.In hindsight i could have waited for the servostik control boards to be in stock.

So i opened up the CPO design again,and hadnt even thought about the dust washer covering the art like it will.So Ive had to adjust it a bit.Problem is I cant have both the arrows and text.So its one or the other i think:

Ive also removed the black circle around the joystick as it will be covered anyway.

I like the bottom one as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2021, 03:50:52 pm »

Thats a great idea,my original circle is 32 mm.

However i registered and when i got to the checkout its 54dollars delivery.  :hissy:

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2021, 04:11:12 pm »

I like the bottom one as well

Yeah,if I cant track one of those smaller dustwashers closer to home,I think Ill go with the bottom one.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2021, 04:54:56 pm »
I like the top one without the text.  I mean c'mon is someone really not going to know which way is up? :)
But mainly because you're not including all the text since the button labels aren't going to be there.  Without the text I feel is more appropriate since its for a multi-game cabinet and not dedicated to that one game.

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2021, 05:29:40 pm »

However i registered and when i got to the checkout its 54dollars delivery.  :hissy:

$54 for shipping???  Are you on the moon?

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2021, 05:41:12 pm »

Thats actually the cheapest option.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2021, 05:44:59 pm »
I like the top one without the text.  I mean c'mon is someone really not going to know which way is up? :)
But mainly because you're not including all the text since the button labels aren't going to be there.  Without the text I feel is more appropriate since its for a multi-game cabinet and not dedicated to that one game.

I may order one of each.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2021, 08:09:11 pm »

I like the text version and love that cabinet.
the yellow with marque just pops.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2021, 10:53:05 am »
Ive tracked down a 38mm dustwasher in Spain.Unfortunately its still a bit big to fit how Id like.Ive ordered one anyway and will see how it goes.In the meantime Im going to order 2 CPOs,with and without the text.Its not expensive and Id like to see both in the flesh.

Also Ive added a small instruction panel onto the bezel.The scramble original has instructions for that game,which isnt really helpful with my set up.
 I thought about just editing it totally out of the artwork,but then I probably couldnt manage to do a good job of that.And i suppose there could be a time someone other than me is using the cabinet so...

Now I know this could make more sense to me than it will someone else,but its not really something Im overly fussed about perfecting.

Only thing bugging me is the guys signature at the bottom  :lol

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2021, 11:10:11 am »

Fire up your graphics program, make a red box, place it over the signature. Gone.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2021, 11:20:43 am »
Would that not be seen as bad form.  :lol

Raktageno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 04:34:50 pm
  • Witty Comment!
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2021, 11:29:42 am »
:laugh2:

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2021, 11:39:43 am »
Ive tracked down a 38mm dustwasher in Spain.Unfortunately its still a bit big to fit how Id like.Ive ordered one anyway and will see how it goes.In the meantime Im going to order 2 CPOs,with and without the text.Its not expensive and Id like to see both in the flesh.

Also Ive added a small instruction panel onto the bezel.The scramble original has instructions for that game,which isnt really helpful with my set up.
 I thought about just editing it totally out of the artwork,but then I probably couldnt manage to do a good job of that.And i suppose there could be a time someone other than me is using the cabinet so...

Now I know this could make more sense to me than it will someone else,but its not really something Im overly fussed about perfecting.

Just edit the signature out.  It's your cabinet and I doubt the artist would care on the 0.000001% chance he is reading this thread.

Also, the bezel looks so much better on the screen than on your test prints so I really think this will come together nicely once you get everything professionally printed.  I like the instructions too - makes it seem authentic.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2021, 11:54:11 am »
You should always give the artist credit for his or her work.

We already ripoff artwork that does not belong to us.

We can at least give the artist credit.

Don't remove the signature. It is part of the artwork.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2021, 12:00:50 pm »
I’d leave the signature. It’s small, unobtrusive, and part of the original art, but that’s just me. Like Mike said, you’re using most of his art, so you may as well keep his credit on there. I guarantee you won’t notice it after a while.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2021, 12:18:24 pm »
You should always give the artist credit for his or her work.

We already ripoff artwork that does not belong to us.

We can at least give the artist credit.

Don't remove the signature. It is part of the artwork.

I would normally agree if this cabinet was going to be in a public place but it’s going in OP’s house and if it bugs him then he should just remove it.  No one will notice either way (whether the signature is there or not) so he might as well be happy about it.  I can’t even read it blown up on my screen anyway.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2021, 12:23:13 pm »
We will know. :bat

javeryh

• Online Online
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2021, 12:32:44 pm »

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2021, 12:43:40 pm »
We will know. :bat

You know it doesn’t bug me all that much really  :lol

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2021, 02:24:08 pm »
Dude you need to scrub that artist name off of there just like when you steal a car you gotta scratch off those VIN numbers.