Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First upright build-Tully Cabaret Plans.  (Read 44580 times)

lomoverde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: First upright build-Tully Cabaret Plans.
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2021, 11:22:12 am »
I would go with black buttons and a red dustwasher / black balltop for the joystick. You already have a riot of colours in the bezel, you don't need randomly coloured buttons.

Aaaah no.I wasnt thinking of using 3 different colours at once.I just wanted to save some work.but see the different buttons on the panel. ;D

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2021, 11:23:15 am »

I do quite like the pale green trim,but i cant see much of it in the bezel to tie them together.The blue i can see a bit of a match,but the 3rd green just no. :dizzy: Im at a loss.

Could swap some more of the green into the bezel (ie. something like this - https://i.postimg.cc/zf15yv3Z/adjust1.png )

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2021, 08:09:01 am »

I do quite like the pale green trim,but i cant see much of it in the bezel to tie them together.The blue i can see a bit of a match,but the 3rd green just no. :dizzy: Im at a loss.

Could swap some more of the green into the bezel (ie. something like this - https://i.postimg.cc/zf15yv3Z/adjust1.png )

What have you done to me ?? :timebomb:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2021, 10:01:47 am »
This is why you need to see ALL options.  When you see the one that works you will know it.  If you are lukewarm on everything right now then you haven't found the solution yet.  The side art was easy - the thing you created fit perfectly and everyone in this thread knew it as soon as they saw it.  Keep iterating and it will happen!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:40:21 am by javeryh »

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2021, 10:45:23 am »
Ive been looking at that bezel for so long now,Ive come to the conclusion that Its in reality one ugly ---smurf---.

However Im not chucking the towel in yet.

I quite liked the idea JDFan had about making the foot fit the shoe,and editing the bezel.I had an idea for something that could get me back to that black CPO i quite liked,but this would just end up looking too crappy i think.Maybe an instruction box like the real one would just dumb down that black bezel sides a little.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:51:37 am by lomoverde »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2021, 11:35:12 am »
So I looked back in the thread and noticed your entire cab is yellow right?  If so then yeah all those orange versions yesterday don't fit.  The black actually will look better with the yellow.  In fact I'd probably use yellow for the button surrounds.  Just remember when you use button surrounds the overlay alignment becomes critical or they will look off-center.  I'd try to mock up the look including the entire cab like you did before.  In the end you don't need to please us.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2021, 11:48:19 am »
Why not rework the original Scramble CPO to match your controls?

It will match the Bezel and the sideart.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2021, 11:54:04 am »
Ive been looking at that bezel for so long now,Ive come to the conclusion that Its in reality one ugly ---smurf---.

So I looked back in the thread and noticed your entire cab is yellow right?  If so then yeah all those orange versions yesterday don't fit.  The black actually will look better with the yellow.

This was my initial thought as well which is why I suggested black.  I think the problem is the dominant orange in the bezel and marquee - the orange does not work with the yellow cabinet.  It also doesn't look good with the black either.  Maybe the Scramble artwork isn't quite right for this cabinet?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2021, 12:06:32 pm »
Hmm...I missed this was supposed to be Scramble.  Never saw that game before had to google it...lol.  Seeing the photos of it I think it would look cool to do like Mike said and make the control panel close to the original.  I would move the player two button to the left under player 1 and then center the joystick and move the 3 button to the right.  Heck I'll draw it for you in Inkscape if you want.

I like the colors in this version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164743002025

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2021, 12:11:32 pm »
Hmm...I missed this was supposed to be Scramble.  Never saw that game before had to google it...lol.  Seeing the photos of it I think it would look cool to do like Mike said and make the control panel close to the original.  I would move the player two button to the left under player 1 and then center the joystick and move the 3 button to the right.  Heck I'll draw it for you in Inkscape if you want.

Those colors look really nice.  Is that the same orange?  It's really subtle here probably for a reason.  The original cabinet had a lot of yellow too:

And also the yellow/orange combo.  Maybe I just don't like how the original cab looks LOL.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:44:43 pm by javeryh »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2021, 12:16:44 pm »
When in doubt always go back to the original.

Remember these machines were designed in a different time with different ideas about style and color.

If you want a machine that reflects a bygone era, then that is what you use.

Arcade cabs that are designed to blend in to modern decor totally miss the point for me.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:18:26 pm by Mike A »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2021, 12:47:04 pm »
To a point I would say...Those machines were also designed to be the all new, cutting edge, attention grabbing whores designed to take your money, With that comes advancement in technologies, powder coated  wood is  a good example, subtle, but not someting that was done back in the day.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2021, 01:04:24 pm »
But then again, Triple plated chrome is not so easy to find today...So it becomes a give and take in terms of restoration, design and cost, I supose.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:07:51 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2021, 01:13:58 pm »
*Fun story...That was etched with cyanide back in the day, which probably accounts for its modern lack of availability, in this "green" world we find ourselves, and the chain of command on waste chemicals...I used to cook that stuff out back and do my own plating but it's not worth the hassle anymore.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:16:15 pm by jennifer »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2021, 01:17:22 pm »

Remember these machines were designed in a different time with different ideas about style and color.

Arcade cabs that are designed to blend in to modern decor totally miss the point for me.

:stupid Agreed. A style might be out of date, but that doesn't mean it can't be stunning in it's own way.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2021, 02:30:17 pm »
Replace the orange in the bezel with black. Keep your beloved black CPO.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2021, 04:54:30 pm »

That is a very kind offer,and would be too cool.

Of course Id seen the original Cpo,but thought the bare metal showing would complicate matters seeing how my artistic skills are just a bit off at the minute.

Id asked the guy who did my first marquee to take a look at this one and he just didnt answer :laugh2:

https://tokensonly.com/2010/01/02/willis-scramble-cpo/#post/0

I now see why he gave that a wide birth.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2021, 04:59:56 pm »

To a point I would say...Those machines were also designed to be the all new, cutting edge, attention grabbing whores designed to take your money, With that comes advancement in technologies, powder coated  wood is  a good example, subtle, but not someting that was done back in the day.

:stupid Agreed. A style might be out of date, but that doesn't mean it can't be stunning in it's own way.

So I looked back in the thread and noticed your entire cab is yellow right?  If so then yeah all those orange versions yesterday don't fit.  The black actually will look better with the yellow.

This was my initial thought as well which is why I suggested black.  I think the problem is the dominant orange in the bezel and marquee - the orange does not work with the yellow cabinet.  It also doesn't look good with the black either.  Maybe the Scramble artwork isn't quite right for this cabinet?

Thank you for the constructive comments everyone.Its actually been quite a leap showing my work on the forum,nothing to be nervous about really,Im sure everyone was hesitant at some time.

I think the way to go is as pointed out a bit truer to the original artwork :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2021, 05:00:30 pm »
What's the dimensions of your control panel surface?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2021, 11:06:51 pm »
Ok here's what a drew based on that original control panel.  I had to stretch out the left and right sides to make room for the buttons.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2021, 11:09:33 pm »
And here's a link to the Inkscape file if you want to use it and feel free to tweak it:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ll1z827bpooua37/Scramble.svg/file

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2021, 02:04:22 am »

Its 460mm x 155mm.
Sorry for the late rerply,ive just woken to find this.That is so,so cool.I cant thank you enough for putting that effort in,especially when its for a stranger.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2021, 08:12:46 am »
Ive printinted the latest CPO out and got an idea how it looks.The yellow has come out really pale but thats just my printer.

I will have to play with button placement,as the 3rd one is to close to the side.Hopefully my preferred 3button layout wont make it look uneven.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2021, 08:31:50 am »
That is way better. Nice job with the assist Gilrock.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2021, 08:32:32 am »
Yeah I guessed at 470mm based on the earlier image you had with a ruler along the front edge.  I figured you might need to fine tune button placement.  I was thinking maybe the player I and II buttons should be swapped with the player images to move them more to the left away from the joystick.  Also if you work with the file the graphics on the left are just copy of the right so if you needed to change anything you could delete the group on the left, rework the right side and then make another copy and flip it.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2021, 08:35:46 am »
Surprised nobody commented about this....what exactly is going on here....lol

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2021, 09:25:18 am »
That is way better. Nice job with the assist Gilrock.

Isnt it just.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2021, 09:26:25 am »

Thats not the only near the knuckle bit of art in Scramble.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2021, 09:42:19 am »
Ive printinted the latest CPO out and got an idea how it looks.The yellow has come out really pale but thats just my printer.

I will have to play with button placement, as the 3rd one is to close to the side. Hopefully my preferred 3button layout wont make it look uneven.

This is MUCH better.  Gilrock - amazing job.   :applaud:

If you are going to clean up the CP... the circle around the joystick doesn't look like a circle - this might be because Gilrock stretched the ends of the CP to fit your dimensions.  I also kind of like the font on the original CP if you could work that back in somehow.

Also, if you are going with white buttons like the original, see how it would look with some black rings around them (like the original).

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2021, 10:00:14 am »

I will have to play with button placement, as the 3rd one is to close to the side. Hopefully my preferred 3button layout wont make it look uneven.

If you are going to clean up the CP... the circle around the joystick doesn't look like a circle - this might be because Gilrock stretched the ends of the CP to fit your dimensions.  I also kind of like the font on the original CP if you could work that back in somehow.

Also, if you are going with white buttons like the original, see how it would look with some black rings around them (like the original).

Circles in Inkscape are my speciality these days.Lol
If i gain the text,should i lose the carriage bolts? Im thinking no,but dont want to mess up the placement.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2021, 10:01:01 am »

javeryh - Yeah I didn't notice it should be more like a circle.  I thought I kept the proportions of the original image when I scaled it but I did have to mess with the perspective because the edges of the original image were trapezoidal.

lomoverde - I can easily fix that tonight if you want.  Let me know if you want other things moved around.  Or if you want to take over from here I don't mind.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2021, 10:03:17 am »
I didn't know if you were using carriage bolts or not.  If you are then those positions need to be double checked against your joystick because I just was placing them over a screenshot and I'm sure they aren't square.  If you don't have carriage bolts you could still leave the circles there.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2021, 10:08:15 am »
I didn't know if you were using carriage bolts or not.  If you are then those positions need to be double checked against your joystick because I just was placing them over a screenshot and I'm sure they aren't square.  If you don't have carriage bolts you could still leave the circles there.

You know, I was initially going to suggest removing the small black circles where carriage bolts go but the more I looked at it the more I liked them there.   If lomoverde undermounts the joystick I think keeping those circles would still look cool.  And obviously if he's using through bolts he will need to line them up... but if they aren't a perfect square I don't think it will look great surrounding the circle if that makes any sense.

So my suggestion would be to undermount the joystick but leave the circles.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2021, 10:25:40 am »
Carriage bolts through the panel.

Complete the classic look.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2021, 10:41:17 am »

javeryh - Yeah I didn't notice it should be more like a circle.  I thought I kept the proportions of the original image when I scaled it but I did have to mess with the perspective because the edges of the original image were trapezoidal.

lomoverde - I can easily fix that tonight if you want.  Let me know if you want other things moved around.  Or if you want to take over from here I don't mind.

Thanks man,when i said circles are a speciality of mine,i meant around buttons.That big circle is tied into the other part and Im not so sure.So if you could round that centre part for me ,would be amazing. :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:22:15 pm by lomoverde »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2021, 01:13:41 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Looks like some cartoon porn LOL. Not that I would watch such stuff as that.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:27:26 pm by DaOld Man »

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2021, 03:56:20 pm »

Feel a bit cheeky now asking for more help but....so i resized the artwork for my panel.swapped the pl1/pl2 around and had a try at button surrounds.Could you maybe advise me on how to create centre points for drilling? I had to use my own buttons as i couldnt seem to resize yours.I think Im in need of reading up on snapping as i dont seem to be to great at aligning the buttons.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/p0zn06nstteqpdu/Scramble_orig_2.svg/file

Cheers bud.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2021, 04:05:27 pm »
Probably about 5 hours before I can look at anything.  Did you still want that center fixed into a circle?  Yeah the buttons I imported are probably a little tricky because they came in as square images with white backgrounds.  I used the fill tool to fix the white corners but it still didn't look good so then I drew a pink circle that just fit over the button and used it as a clip mask.  You would probably need to release the clip mask to edit the underlying object or maybe there is a shortcut to select it.  The buttons are really for show you would want to disable that layer and have center points or circles for drilling like you suggested.  You could just draw two lines in a plus sign shape for a center point.  Group the two lines and copy it for the other buttons.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2021, 04:31:25 pm »
Ok cheers for that.Im looking pretty good for the buttons I think now Ive discovered the align and distribute function.If i have a go at that centre joystick image later,Ill let you know tomorrow if i have a problem i cant solve if thats ok?.Thanks so much again :cheers:

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2021, 08:23:29 pm »
Hey nice! Digging the new art  :applaud: